Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

setup for gst

Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
chris246810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setup for gst

hello i was just wondering does any one have a good setup idea for the topend lowend needles? if not its cool. also can you wash the air filter? or you need a new one mine is getting a little dirty. also my last question for now is do i have to adjust the trasmission screws? i dont really like to play with screws liek that casue if they get to loose they will get lost and pop out or something like that. any help would be good .
Old 05-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Boom_Stick

Default RE: setup for gst

Hi Chris,

Actually there is no one good setup for the LSN/HSN. The setting for these needles depend on different factors. Here is some info for tuning a nitro engine that should help you find the tune you are looking for.

Here is a guide:
http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

Here is some video how-tos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg

I would also suggest a temp gun. Not that you should tune to only temps, but it will aid you in understanding how your engine is running.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 AM
csa

Hi. Motor-saver (part#151660) has a pretty good air filter as an alternative to the original one, replacement foam (inner part#MSTMXFM, outer/inner part#MSB8FFM) is cheaper - at least from where I am.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99787.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	689271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42124.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	689272  
Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 AM
unlawfullactions

i know you recommended a temp gun, but im using the venom failsafe with temp readouts....i have the sensor on the motor right between the black head and the silver motor...right inbetween the fins......will this not give me an accurate reading? will it be higher/lower than actual temps?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 PM
chris246810

ok thank you guys i will do my best to tune it. i was just wondering cause it took some much out of me to get the engine started and broken in i just want it to last. i ran it hard on my street yesterday turned the hsn out little and left the little one alone. also have any of you guys used your gst in sand at the beach? is that a good idea ?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:26 AM
Boom_Stick

chris,

Sand is pretty brutal on just about anything. I don't know if I would run m gen in the sand.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 AM
.46NitroAddict

ORIGINAL: unlawfullactions

i know you recommended a temp gun, but im using the venom failsafe with temp readouts....i have the sensor on the motor right between the black head and the silver motor...right inbetween the fins......will this not give me an accurate reading? will it be higher/lower than actual temps?
Hey unlawfullactions,

I also use a Venom Smart Temp, on my Genesis LE, but have found that its readings differ from those of my IR Temp gun! In particular if your using the temp to tune (right or wrong) you will find that the Smart Temp has a delay in its temperature reading compared to the instant reading of your Glow Plugs' Temperature by your IR Temp Guns. I guess this is purely because the temp changes at your glow plug takes time to radiate out to where your Smart temp's measuring probe is. After all, you are trying to measure combustion temp in the center of your head - glow plug.
So to answer how accurate is the smart temp I can't honestly say, mainly because of the time delay involved!
I have mine set to run not as a fail safe, because I'm still running the CEN Fail Safe (I feel it still has a better fail safe functionality).
Also a word of caution, I found the Venom Smart temp was causing my servos to twich or act erradically. Most importantly it was effecting my Forward/Reverse servo to the point it would cause it to change state or directions! I stopped this by running the cable from my CEN Fail Safe to the Venom unit through a ferrite core(multiple laps-covered in black heat shrink) - this solved this problem!! You don't want to change direction whilst moving NOT good for anything in the tranny!!!

Hey Chris,
I can't say if running on sand is a good idea or not! But if you intend to do this I suggest doing this mod, that I have done to mine. It will seal you tranny from sand intrusion via you forward/reverse transmission selector. I used a large toggle switch rubber boot (sourced from an electronics or auto store for the job). I cut the top off it & glued the bottom to the tranny casing, using Loctite prisim adhesive.

Hope this answers your questions, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17898.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	690006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78977.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	690007  
Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 AM
unlawfullactions

hey thanks a lot for the reply....this might in fact be the cause of my transmission that went.....when you mean ferrite core, is that simply the same type of magnents they use on like video game controlers?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hey unlawfullactions,

Yes that is exactly the type, video game controllers, computers, etc.
The one I am using came from a computer/electronics store. It is about 1 inch long & 3/8 inch up its bore. It is in 2 halves (hinged), so you just wrap as many turns as you can fit through it & then snap it closed! I managed around 5-6 laps through it (using a servo extension cable), the more turns you get the better the filtering!!

I bench tested mine until I was happy to start her for real. Hasn't played up since I fitted this filter. I'm using the LE's Sanwa MX-3 radio & reciver combination - yours may not be effected like mine was! But it sounds like it already is/has been.

Regards, .46NitroAddict. [>:]