Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Frustrated, need help Martix TR

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Frustrated, need help Martix TR

Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 PM
SWFLnavigation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated, need help Martix TR

I just got my Matrix TR a couple of days ago. While trying to start it I broke the pull string. So I went out and bought a starter box OFNA crome top. When I try to use the starter box it wont turn the engine over the electric motor just comes to a dead stop and does nothing. I'm using the gator clamps to my GMC truck battery to power the ofna box. What am i doing wrong please help....
Frustrated.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Chopped02

Default RE: Frustrated, need help Martix TR

If the engine has not been started or broken in at all, the pinch is going to be really tight. I have a chrome top as well and unless any of my engines are at bottom dead center and warmed up with a heat gun, they are hard to start at first. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:11 PM
turmoil

you can also try loosining the glow plug then when it starts tighten it back up
Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 PM
chrobar

The reason it's not working right is because the engine is raised up about a 1/4 inch to accomidate the pull start backplate. The wheel is then just hitting the chassis before it hits the flywheel. In order for the starter box to work, you need to get a regular backplate. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4331
Thats the one you'll need.
Good luck
If you don't want to lose the pull start, you can grind the flywheel hole wider, but that's tough, and it can weaken the chassis some.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
SWFLnavigation

The motor has never been started. I was told by the hobby shop that I didn't need to remove any motor shims to lower the motor. The motor's wheel is making good contact with the flywheel. I can tell you I can't turn the flywheel by hand, it is too tight. Does anyone have a picture of this starter box with a Matrix TR ? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 AM
chrobar

Yeah, I run the same box, with a Matrix TR RTR. I'm pretty sure the flywheel is not getting in contact with the rubber wheel, and it's just rubbing on the chassis. I'll post some pics..
If you know for a fact that it's making good contact, make sure you rev the motor in the box before you touch it to the flywheel for more power.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:26 PM
chrobar

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69313.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	904920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22774.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	904921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43153.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	904922  
Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM
dar123

are you sure your turning the engine over the right way?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 PM
CEN Racing

now that you have that other backplate on there you can remove the spacers between the motor and the mount.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 PM
chrobar

Yes, CEN racing, I did that already. The washers are now on top to the engine "ears." It just looks weird in the pic.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 PM
SWFLnavigation

Thanks for your help guys, RCnick came out and helped me get my truggy started today. The motor on my starter box is going the correct way, thanks for the tip. The motor I have is the A28, which is on the block. Stopped by Gene's place today and he told me that with this motor i didn't need to lower the motor or change the flywheel. Is this correct. We ran 2 tanks at idle and one at a very low speed. I hope I can get threw a couple of tanks tomorrow. Can the member who posted those pics of the starter box show me how they have their box set up with and without the truggy. I went out and got a new pull cord and now the 1 way bearing is slipping. Great.. I love this truggy but damn.. it's breaking before I get it running.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Nick2618

Yeah i was out there today with his truck and it ran real good. But the one way bearing slipping so soon was kinda weird. Is there anyway to maybe save it cause it is brand new and should not be worn out yet...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
chrobar

I'll try to get a pic up..
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 AM
trarena

Thanks for your help guys, RCnick came out and helped me get my truggy started today. The motor on my starter box is going the correct way, thanks for the tip. The motor I have is the A28, which is on the block. Stopped by Gene's place today and he told me that with this motor i didn't need to lower the motor or change the flywheel. Is this correct. We ran 2 tanks at idle and one at a very low speed. I hope I can get threw a couple of tanks tomorrow. Can the member who posted those pics of the starter box show me how they have their box set up with and without the truggy. I went out and got a new pull cord and now the 1 way bearing is slipping. Great.. I love this truggy but damn.. it's breaking before I get it running.
Yeah i was out there today with his truck and it ran real good. But the one way bearing slipping so soon was kinda weird. Is there anyway to maybe save it cause it is brand new and should not be worn out yet...
SWFL - if you don't change that backplate (from the pull start one) you won't be able to lower the motor - maybe that's what Gene meant. You would probably have been better getting the Sportswerks backplate that Chrobar posted a link to now that you have a starter box - not sure why you would want to keep the pull start? They are just a pain in the ass with cord's breaking and one way bearings crapping out - plus you will lose some horsepower with it on.

NICK - you can try to soak the one way overnight in something like CRC - that can work. You can also replace the bearing itself (and keep the hex it fits into) which is a bit cheaper than buying a replacement CEN one way. TheRealDogman wrote a good instructional piece on replacing the one way bearing -

http://www.cenracing.com/downloads/TRonewaywriteup.doc

This will work fine but I would still recommend just going with the sportwerks backplate - for $12 it stops all that drama.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 PM
luna007

with the one way slipping for the pull start try and pour a little fuel into the carb i have the same prob and it seems to make the pullstart work right again . same thing when your done with the ater run oil . it would slip ,and i just put after run oil and then pulled it and it worked .