Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

GST 7.7 shifting (WOULD LIKE RESPONSE FROM CEN)

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

GST 7.7 shifting (WOULD LIKE RESPONSE FROM CEN)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
mastercrash7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GST 7.7 shifting (WOULD LIKE RESPONSE FROM CEN)

I have my truck running again and have done the third gear mod. My truck does shift once about 15 feet out does anyone think this is 2nd or 3rd gear or how can I find out. I have run and watched really good I feel the truck is starting out in first and Im sure I am not missing a shift.
Thank you to all that are here helping people and sharing thaughts.

A question for CEN,

By the sounds of it very few if any GST 7.7's ever shift with out doing mods or tons of adjusting. How can your company keep advertising and selling something that doesent work. I am sure there are laws out there that should keep that from happening.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
CEN Racing

Default RE: GST 7.7 shifting (WOULD LIKE RESPONSE FROM CEN)

All of our cars are tested for functionality prior to leaving the factory- Of course these are hobby grade vehicles so there will need to be a tweak here and there... During proper break-in and run-in it may seem like its not functioning quite right due to the richness of your motor... factory trans settings are to mach a motor that temps at 235-240 after 5 minutes of run times. We do not false advertise and we stand 100% behind our products. Perhaps you need some more technical advice in which case I can reffer you to the head of my R&D department [email protected] and he would be happy to help you fix your issue.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 PM
cablek

For the record I have reached out to Alex twice looking for some transmission advice. He has ignored my email both times.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM
burningpoo

ORIGINAL: cablek

For the record I have reached out to Alex twice looking for some transmission advice. He has ignored my email both times.

Me too
Old 07-04-2008, 09:26 AM
mastercrash7

You cant tell me that all gst trucks shift fine at the factory but some how quit working in the box.
And as far as cen standing behind there product, Thats just not true!! my truck had a few small problems with the start shaft and spring and after talking to cen they told me they would give me a discount on the parts I needed to replace on a brand new truck. To me it doesnt seem like you stand behind your product like you say.
If it wasnt for the great people on forums like this, there would be alot of gst's out there not working.

Just for a small count, How many cen gst owners have ever had 1,2,3 speeds work with just a tweak or two out of the box after break in.
PLEASE SPEAK UP AND LET CEN KNOW THEY CANT KEEP DOING THIS TO US!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every CEN Genesis style 3 speed tranny I have tuned hits all three speeds, no problem!! Just takes patience and equall turns with the screw driver.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
maximus75

I think the problem is with the design. The truck goes into 3rd but you really can't hear is because it is a clutch system and slips as it goes in. I'm in the process of converting mine my to a positive shift with a pawl like the revo and many other trucks have so 3rd gear is either engaged or disengaged. I run with 4 other guys with various generations of the Gensesis (mine being the newest GST) and I havent heard any of them hit 3rd gear where you can say "yup, there it is". Dogman, if you have some video of yours hitting all 3 gears please post it cause I'm yeat to hear one of these do so. I just assumed because of the load on the 3rd gear clutch it kinda slides into 3rd rather than hits it. Judging by the top speed of my GST I have to believe i'ts going it, also when I hold the truck off the ground with no load I can clearly hear it hit all 3. Just can't hear while driving.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM
jamie
My Feedback: (2)

yea well dog man here i am again.... in many many trades i have her back.... i have since had to rebuild the eng.. less than a gallon ran threw she is up and running again... but theres a hole lot more people on with the trucks that dont shift as to you members of the cen company that do shift....i think cen needs to make a recall on trannys and replace them for ones that work...............
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 AM
jamie

i see no responce from cen or anybody esle W E N E E D A R E C A L L O N T H E S E T R A N N Y S ......... and plus my has been wenched on since it was taking out of its box.... come on cen give us something that works.... my motor had to be rebuilt with less than a gallon of fuel... repeat less than a gallon of fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jamie, you are not going to get a response from CEN here. If want a response from CEN Then go their website and post your complaints there, This site is for help, not whining.

My question to you is, if you have such a hard time with the CEN then why did you end up trading it back. Ge rid of it and be done with it.

But if you want help getting it to shift, then I can help but you will need to cut the CEN bashing bit!!

I am more than happy o help if you promise to focus on the tranny and not how you feel, about CEN, me , the truck whatever, I dont care about that part, but I do care if you want your truck to shift!!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 PM
newgst

My CEN GST didn't shift from the factory either in fact it took about 2 months of back and forth talking to CEN to get them to send me parts and then when i put them in it still didn't work.

-Check the third gear clutch bell for metal burrs around the hole for setting the shift point. Mine had burrs that ruined my clutch shoes from the factory.

-Make sure the third gear has shims in between the shoes where the spring/screw/nut holds them together on both sides.

-The 3rd gear set screws need to be perfect. Find the point when the clutch shoes start to push out then turn back a 1/8 turn.

- 5 turns out on the 3rd gear is a good starting point when tuning and then adjust in 1/8 turn increments. Mind you if the screws are not turned out equally than you will not get engagement. A good way to tune 3rd gear is to tune 2nd gear first so it engages right away so there is no confusion on which gear is winding out and shifting to the next. If you don't here 3rd gear hit as you tune it but you see the speed then you know 3rd gear hit.

If you don't follow 1 of the above steps your 3rd gear will not have either an audible shift or a shift at all
Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
jamie

DOG MAN ,,,, yes i am whining, crying what ever you want to call it and yes in many trades and the boy thinking i set him on fire... yes i have her back... i am crying because i have never ever torched 600.00 dollars like i have here.... i run with three other guys we run traxxas, ofna, duratrax assciated week after week after week and nothing ever breaks... let me start off with the gen 7.7 . brought her home from the lhs and broke the engine in that thing sit right there and idle 7 tanks threw her... brought her too work and the screws on the 2 spped bell backed out and toor that up. got all that fixed.. when on to get the thing to shift no shift no shift.. after that the clucth bell broke.. now i called cen on all this 1 month of running AND THEY SOLD ME THE STUFF AT THERE COST!!!! now we worked on getting it to shift NO SHIFT.... EVER. so the evening i traded it we shut it off by finger over exhaust. it never started again.. thats where the boy thought i had got him.. i traded it back because i thought i had got him too.. so i ordered a pinston and sleeve off ebay and she is running again... i broke her in this time by running rich rich 3 tanks letting it cool between each tank.. dog man on foruth tank running very rich guess what happen clutch bell broke again!!!!!!! i am serously thinking law suit it should and prob. is against the law to sell something like this so hell yea i am crying whining whatever you want to call it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! untill next time
Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
chris246810

hello i would like to put my newbie input on this problem. i have a gst 7.7 and dogman probley knows me of my screen name on here because i had some problems with my gst as well but it was nothing that had to do with shifting. mine was about breaking the pull starter like 3 times before i went to the roto starter but that was when i first got my gst and i was so ready to take it out of the box and put fuel in it and start it up and thats all but i later found out that it wasn't like that. after my install of the roto starter it worked fine and i love it and still love it. i was mad as hell with cen selling "cheap items" but that was when i was mad and who else to be mad at but the dealer. i dont know if you are a newbie at this but i still haven't checked to see if my gst is shifting so maybe you should get used to the car and how she runs before you try and do things you can't do or dont understand it. i want to play with the transmission so bad but i am not worried about that right now i just want to tweek it and get it to run right. did you even put the check vavle in or is it already installed? i have a ct5 also and love that car as well and other cars right now i love my two cens and i am in the same boat with you with my team assocaited nitro tc3 i can't even get the car to run right with out stalling and i am pissed off all the time. just rememer after all is said and done these cars have powerful engines and a little mistake in tuning can ruin anything. do you think a actuall real car dealer has 100% error free cars and those are 100 times bigger. these cars and their engines are very small and very quick so things are going to break thats the part of the sport/hobby. if you are getting mad at this point maybe you should take a break from it and step away and then try again or give up the sport.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:42 AM
DanBP

Here's the video of the GST shifting: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pe6vIz1veiQ

I have a GSR 5.0 with the 3 speed upgrade, since this engine puts out more RPM's than the big 7.7, the transmission shifts perfectly at 8 turns out. I just followed the instructions as per the little baggie and it came out perfect.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Terra Nova R/C

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was just reading some posts about CEN trucks. I had Traxxas trucks (T-Maxx) for 3 years and later got a deal from a friend on an older Genesis 46. I now only have CEN trucks. A GSR 7.7 (I built it myself hence the GSR 7.7) I have had no problems with the trucks shifting. I actually took the 3rd gear out of my trucks because I use them on a tight dirt track and the extra weight and moving parts seemed pointless. As for the guy whining about the shifting, these trucks are excellent, but they do require mechanical knowledge. They are not for beginners. I have no complaints about the Cen trucks. At our track, I get more run time than anyone out there, as long as I do my regular maintenance and checks between track visits.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 AM
madbeast302

hey, I found out how to fix ALL your CEN Problems!!
Take that 7.7 Motor and THROW IT  IN THE LAKE!!!
I bought a Losi 454 off of e-bay for $150.00
Took some creative engineering to get it in and now the thing shifts all 3 gears way too early

Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Terra Nova R/C

ORIGINAL: madbeast302

hey, I found out how to fix ALL your CEN Problems!!
Take that 7.7 Motor and THROW IT IN THE LAKE!!!
I bought a Losi 454 off of e-bay for $150.00
Took some creative engineering to get it in and now the thing shifts all 3 gears way too early

I have done the same thing. I used a SH PT28XM1A-P8 (That Losi 454 is also made by SH) I don't have third gear and I don't need it. It doesn't take much creative engineering. I used GSR 5.0 parts. Clutch Bell, Flywheel, Engine mount, 1/8 Tuned Pipe.
Check my video at [link]http://www.terranovahobby.ca/Videos.page[/link]

Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
wormburner62
My Feedback: (10)

i had the same problem with my GST not shifting. I found this thing somewhere on the net that showed to put small washers inbetween the 3rd shoes and it hit 3rd fine. I only had my truck for 2months and the engine blew the connecting rod which trashed my piston and sleeve so i bought all new stuff then sold the engine after i got it running good. I installed an OS.30 in it and did the nemesis 2speed pinion gear setup and now i don't ever have to worry about hitting 3rd gear. I still have 3rd gear but won't hit it due to the 2 speed setup. The os.30 motor is so much more powerful than the 7.7. The 7.7 is garbage but the truck is amazing and i love my gst. Its all set up for racing and i never brake anything and my truck is the only one at the track that never has problems.

I had my tire come off the truck and it got ran over by a car so i called cen to order some new tires because if you try to buy some from them online its $100 for 2 tires (insane and unheard of). so i talked to andrew smolnik and he said they were going to give me a great deal and sell me 2 tires and rims for $39 plus shipping. I waited a few days and never got them and then i looked at my bank online and they never took the money. So i called them again and i got rodney on the phone and he told me to hold so then some smart mouth punk got on the phone and told me that they never took my order and there's nothing they can do for me and its not their problem.

So, i guess what i'm saying is that the gst is an amazing truck but cen has the worst customer service in the world and if you have one of their products (which are not for beginners) then you need to figure it out on your own and don't bother calling cen for anything because they don't give a crap about anything or anyone.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM
SplitSecound

Thats because CEN Monster trucks are nothing more then junk.[:'(] CEN is not going anywere, No time soon. Its just a matter of time were CEN is going to fold, because no-body like CEN products other then the one who are still a brown nose for CEN!!!!!! Those who are still kissing CEN A$%#&%^, are the ones who say that its all right for CEN to still make junk and sell it to the custormers, IN-stead of getting CEN where it hurts the most which is in there pockets. Do your self a favor and stay far away from CEN monster trucks and I mean Far-away. Stick with the ones who are most popular which is HPI savage, Traxxas Revo or T-max, Associated Mgt 4.6, and Losi lst xxl. The companys I just mention are the way to go. You can find parts anywere for them, even at your nearest super market, Look traxxas alone is so popular that they even sell them at pep-boys, check that out!! All rc trucks have some issues at one point to another and they have there issues sometimes because anything thats man made is going to break. But they are not as bad as CEN monster trucks, when it comes to problems CEN Monster trucks takes the cake.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
wormburner62

I have to say that you're just rambling on about something you have no clue about. I mean seriously, are you really talking up traxxas. Traxxas is garbage. Kids toys. I'd put my gst up against any one of your trucks and guaranty i smoke you in a heart beat. As a matter of fact my gst is the only truck that never breaks down and its always the only truck at the track to finish a race. Sure their motors are garbage and they have the worst customer service in the world but i guaranty you don't have a truck as bad as mine. So next time you decide to ramble on, save your breath. You obviously don't know a damn thing.

Thanks for you input, though!!!![:'(]
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 AM
SplitSecound

Sure bud: What ever floats your boat! I have that truck and if you went, I will be glad to sell you the truck if you love the truck that much. Just send me your email or phone # and I would be happy to get rid of that junk I have wasting alway in my storage!!!! And its brand new to. Now lets see if I have the truck or not. TAG YOUR IT!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
wormburner62

Definately don't need another truck but i appreciate the offer. If i had some extra cash i'd definately buy it though. However i'm broke. I could probably part with $50??? Let me know.

Just so we're straight on something, I'm not the guy who jumps at people for bashing cen because they are horrible but i do know that i have the gst and its a bad ***** mo fo. There's plenty of other people to attack people for grinding on cen. I've had poeple do it to me when i say something about them.

If you hate the gst so much, part with it to me for $50 plus shipping!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM
SplitSecound

Yeah! Your right. I got out of line there. I am sorry to all CEN owners for my reply and action. [&o] Again I am sorry.. Its still part of the hobby no matter what. All hobbies come down as one family, even CEN. I see that CEN came out with a new RTR Truggy and Buggy, call the R3's. They look really good to, I hope they come out with some pro models as well... Well again and one more time I am really sorry.. Besides I still have my CEN Truck. I think I will stick with it!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:27 PM
wormburner62

i have a thread on my hookup. I run mine with an OS .30 on truggy wheels and it truly is a bad mo fo. I hope you get that thing going as good as mine and you'd enjoy it as much as i do.

Theres a thread on installing a savage tranny and also numerous threads on converting it to brushless. Check them out, you might just find that you have a truck with the ultimate possibilities.

I don't think i was to out of hand but if i was i also appologize. And hope you get that thing just the way you want it.

I also run a Mugen MBX-6T with a RB B9 .21 in it and its a bad mo fo but i love bashing and racing my truck.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
SplitSecound

Cool: I am setting up mine, as a truggy type look. When I get the chance I will show you some pictures. Im thinking of putting in a picco or ofna 28. I have to buy a new digitil camara, because my little girl got her hands on it and kill it. LOL Anyway: Do you think I can fit that new truggy body CEN has, on my GSR..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.