Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
Reload this Page >

Hawk Sport Header Tank Mounting

Community
Search
Notices

Hawk Sport Header Tank Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 02:00 AM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk Sport Header Tank Mounting

Hey Guys, Im looking for suggestions on where to mount the header tank on the hawk sport. I am using the CNC Machined monting bracket... Thanks!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Temps

Default RE: Hawk Sport Header Tank Mounting

hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47031.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	150506  
Old 07-06-2004, 12:32 AM
marked23

I mounted mine in the same orientation, but in a different location.

When looking at the picture in the post above, I attached my header tank to hang from the screw that is just above the fuel filter in that picture. Sorry, no pic of my own.

-Mark
Old 07-06-2004, 11:46 PM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help. The difference is the mount for the tank is different. It doesn't use zip ties to hold it down. We took the heli out today to try and get the motor broke in, but we had a few problems. Most of them we have already resolved. We cranked over the engine and it ran beautifully. Unfortunately, we didn't have the trim setup right on the throttle, so we killed it. When we went to crank it over again, it was making a funny vibration noise. I'm still going over it to make sure nothing came loose. The fan didn't spin loose from the motor, so I know that not the noise. Then we went to drain the tank and the stopper popped off. By the look at yours, I'm assuming a zip tie would be a good fix for it. Thanks again Guys!!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:51 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new bie question..what is a header tank, or what is it for? thanks,..Rog
Old 07-08-2004, 10:20 AM
marked23

A header tank is a little fuel tank between the big fuel tank and the engine. It reduces the amount of air bubbles that make it to the engine. It increases your fuel capacity.

-Mark
Old 07-17-2004, 09:07 AM
crashed2
My Feedback: (4)

I think the header tank should be placed in a spot that is at the same height as the main tank, so when the main tank is empty the engine won't get the syphon affect and die from an overrich condition, or visa-versa. Also try and keep the fuel lines as short as possible. My observation on QuattrOs Hawk, Make a mounting board from 1/8" burch-ply to put the gyro in the nose, forward of the battery tray, (mine is mounted that way, with no problems) and put the header tank where the gyro is. I have the Falcon III which is basiclly a larger sized Hawk Sport, and I put mine, right behind the main tank, and at the same level. (the Falcon doesn't have the gyro tray like the Hawk).
Old 08-05-2004, 09:15 AM
HeliNY
My Feedback: (2)

The following is from heliproz, this is the tank I use and they have a great explanation with a picture.

"Header" tanks are highly recommended on any R/C helicopter. Besides adding fuel capacity, the header tank prevents any chance of air being drawn into the engine feed line since the header tank stays completely full until your main tank is empty.

Below right is a typical installation. Note that the outlet on the header tank is in the preferred position, just slightly below the center of the carburetor. In this case a mounting hole was drilled in the frame (Kalt 46 Baron), but in many cases you can use an existing hole to mount the tank.

The CLUNK line on the header tank is attached to the carburetor feed line. Here you see the JR "T" fuel filter and KSJ fuel line clamp and plug, which is the neatest and most efficient setup but is not required. The VENT line on the header tank is connected to the CLUNK line on the MAIN fuel tank. The main fuel tank's vent line is connected to the muffler pressure tap, or to the pressure tap on the YS engines.

Fueling is done through the header tank clunk line. When the header is full the fuel "vents" into the main tank. In operation, the engine draws from the header tank which in turn draws fuel in from the main tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79404.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	160819  
Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 PM
lawnhawk

I mounted the Century header tank. As per the instructions, it does center in line with the carburetor.

The tank seems to do it's job well as the mixture is solid through the flight. I don't agree with the concept that a header works by always being full, because my header never stays above 1/4 full.

In my humble, not necessarily expert opinion, a header tank avoids air in the fuel by not allowing room for foaming (too small a space), and by maintaining a constant fuel level in relation to the carburetor.

I may be wrong, but my engine runs great and consistent until both tanks are empty, and like I said, the header never fills above 1/4.