Notices

bashing century

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:52 PM
tbone4343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bashing century

well my first bad run in at century i bought the hawk sport and decided to upgrade some things to make it a little better and all were good except the
carbon boom servo mount deal . the mounts are wrong as they are to long and hang the servo down so low i have no way to connect the control rod to the servo. called on phone and went round and round as the picture on there web site shows a perfect set up and then when you receive it its differant as stated. after being laughed at by one fella and ran around by another to no avall i gave up as this sucks. i will try and post a picture of the junk they sent me and you all go to there site and compare . as i wasnot amused by the way they treated me . i will not bye another century product and will go over to another brand that sells what they advertise . ignorant sobs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38875.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	238123  
Old 03-05-2005, 07:28 AM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bashing century

Hey tbone4343,

I not for sure, but do believe a carbon fiber pushrod for the tailrotor is used with that mount. That way you need no support with the guide rings. That way it would connect to the servo arm and straight to the tailrotor bell crank. I will call a buddy of mine today and see what he did, as he flies a tailboom mounted servo. I can tell you though I have flown a tailmounted servo on my caliber and it gets the servo all messy. Why not move it to the front and learn that way. . When you called Century do you remember who you talked too? When monday comes around call and ask for Rich or antonio they could help you out alot.

There are alot of hawk fliers over at this forum to I will post a link for you ask what people have done over there. There is a forum dedicated to century here to.[link]http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/f48p1/[/link] take care mike
Old 03-05-2005, 07:46 AM
tbone4343

i have a friend who is a machinist and i have a drill press and taps as i can mod. this mount and make it work but my point is heli-world is advertising one thing and showing a picture of it and when you receive it it is not the same . look at my picture and go to there web site and look at what they are showing . and antonio was the one gigling like a little girl. they thought is was funny that i am having a problem here in pa. and they are in ca. well i will write a letter to the owner as his name is on there web site and let him know the problem that i am having with there product and how i was treated . thanks for your help and as slop on servo i also fly fun fly and sport airplanes fo the past 20 + years and oil on servos has never interfeared with there operation or life . but bending push rods to make them line up from control surface to servo is always bad a straight line with no binding is the only way to go. 2 ways to do thinks is always my thought on things the right way and the wrong way , i choose the right way how about you?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:12 AM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Well Stephen,

Sorry for your luck man. I MAKE SURE IN EVERYTHING I DO IN RC IS 100% CORRECT. I was just trying to give you some friendly advice. I am sure there is two sides to the story. I did check the website and saw a upgraded servo arm and carbon fiber pushrod in the picture. I did talk with my buddy and he too flies the carbon fiber pushrod to get the straight shot from the servo to the bellcrank. He does not use the guide tubes which in your picture you seem to be using. I assume you are new to helicopters, as you go along you will see they do not go together like planes. Good luck Mike
Old 03-05-2005, 11:14 AM
tbone4343

mike as i am a builder not an arfer if i had purchased something from tower for a goldberg or greatplanes ect.and in there book of instructions they showed an upgrade to a certain part for an arf lets say and there was a picture so you could actualy see how this upgrade looks and functions to make an improvment to the way it operates and you order this part wait 2 weeks to receive it and pow its something totaly differant and basicaly unusable for the purpose that was intended it would make you wonder after beeing total let down and frustrated , you call on the phone to tower and the per4son on the phone giggles and thinks its funny . how would you fill. false advertisment and ignorant .
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
darkfa8
My Feedback: (19)

I have a Hawk Sport with a universal tail rudder boom servo mount from HobbyHut.com (Century parts supplier), mine was setup by a verteran heli pilot of over 20 years (Brent Hornbeck). We put a long servo arm on the servo, and put a slight bend in the rod with a Century Ball Link Plier. I also used a ball link resizer on all the ball links in the tail rotor setup.

The linkage moves freely with NO binding, the tail rotor operates properly and predicitably in flight, and that's it. The heli and all it's parts aren't a Swiss time piece, don't expect it to be. When the rod was un-altered, it came into the servo/mount in such a way that was not useable. The Universal Mount was ~$11, for that mouch money, and to eliminate several more inches of control rod, and to only have to put a minor bend in the rod in order for it to hook up properly, it was worth it to me. So long as the linkage is smooth and resistence free, the gyro doesn't care what the linkage looks like, it will do it's job anyway.

I'm sorry that you have a bad experience with Century. I have had a perfect experience, have always talked to Antonio at Century HQ (1.800.686.8588) and have always been pleased with the products, service, parts and especially the way this helicopter flies for the money. It will hover in a very predictable, balanced manner even with my hands off the Tx for several seconds before having to add in any considerable correction.

There is a CF control rod setup from Century for the Hawk Sport that might have worked out to be more geometrically correct (no bending) with the servo boom mount you have. I'd suggest calling Century, asking for Antonio and explain to him the whole of your situation and offer to send in pics of your setup. I'm positive he will help resolve any issue. If you spoke to anyone at Heli-Hobby, they are just a direct retailor for Century, they do not handle technical issues and I think most of the people there don't speak the best of English. So, when you have a problem with a Century product, call Century DIRECT! www.centuryheli.com

Also, for what you get with the Hawk Sport, if you're just learning to hover, you don't need to upgrade anything! Save your money for a better gyro/digital servos/ or fuel. The bone stock Hawk Sport flies just fine out of the box with a proper setup. BTW, you DO NOT need a anti-rotation bracket on this machine. Seems everyone likes to recommend them blindly, but the Hawk's mixer arms are strong enough to resist twisting and even if you get to the point where you're flying hard 3D, you can upgrade to the BB aluminum mixer arms and you still won't need a anti-rotation bracket.

Here are pics of my setup. No, the geometery isn't text-book perfect, but the tail rudder operation is perfect. The gyro does it's job just fine.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
syclic

Hey Stephen,

Looking at your picture, it looks like your servo has to be switched position so that the servo wheel is facing the front part of the mount not the back. Hmmmm....could that error be attributed to ignorance on your part?

I have seen that particular mount on a good numberof different helis , including Hawks and they were all configured to work properly with adequate intelligent thought.

Albert
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 PM
davbow
My Feedback: (6)

My servo mount i got from ceuntury works perfect.....it is the 12.95 carbon tail mount..... it bolts right into the 2 bolts that hold the boom in.
http://www.heli-world.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=
Old 03-09-2005, 04:41 PM
tbone4343

davbow
the mount there looks better then the one i have ill get it and see if its better,
thanks .
syclic
as the servo wheel facing forward or aft makes no differance as i can see only to get the wire facing the right direction as it not hanging out the back. as i am concerned about the distance the srvo hangs down away from boom as i would like it up close to keep control rod straight as possible . ignorance maybe , will use intellegent thought as much as possible .
thanks guys will indevor to percivere
steve
Old 03-13-2005, 06:36 PM
tree_top_chop
My Feedback: (1)

tbone's right, that mount sucks. Look close at the picture, the screws are way to damn low. They need to be a 1/4" higher. I dunno *** they sold you. Any other universal mount would've worked better than that. I like the ones that are just the rings and you bolt the servo right to them.

Like the other guy, I bought the piece that goes into the 2 holes on the tail. Works fine. On one of my other heli's I used some from Ricks. They're just the rings, not that carbon fiber plate.

If I had that, I'd drill holes in the purple rings and ditch the carbon piece. Then send the picture to heli-world with a complaint letter.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:22 PM
syclic

Please note that there is a screw hole in the moddle on each side of the servo. These are there to move the complete C/F plate up. (Noet: the machined supports will have to be moved closer together to line them up.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:47 AM
tbone4343

cyclic
yea thats what i ended up doing as i had to elongate the holes and trim some rubber off of servo mount dampers as it was tight . and i had to bend the push rod as the servo hangs out so far . now i can not remove push rod because its bent at both ends now as this is not good but it works and it totaly defeated my understanding of what this mount was suposed to do and make it a slop free and straight shot to tail. i have been doing some checking and carbon fiber rod to the back and there seems to be some other boom supports for the c/fiber rod . this will be changed after i round up the parts sometime in the future. thanks
steve
Old 03-24-2005, 08:13 PM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

I used the same CF mount and didnt have a problem. I had to bend the control rod a little, but ive never had any problems with it...
Old 03-25-2005, 01:41 AM
marked23

I use the same universal mount with the purple rings.
I bent my control rod to make it fit. No binding. Works great. Still, I would like to try the one shown in davbow's link.
I have no fear of a bent control rod. I just think the other one would look (and stay) cleaner.
-Mark
Old 05-18-2005, 06:30 PM
warren52nz

No, I think Syclic is right. I had the same problem on my Century Hummingbird Elite 3D Pro and discovered I had the servo mounted upside down. If you look closely at that picture, you can see the servo is offset on its mount and if you rotate it so the servo arm is towards the front instead of the back it will be considerably higher. Then slide the mount back along the boom to get the positioning right for the length of the rod.

That's how it looks to me anyway.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Nitrobuzzard
My Feedback: (11)

I use the same mount, had to bend the rod a little and have zero probs with it...here's a pic...little blurry but you can see it........good luck

Nitrobuzzard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31907.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	284479