Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
Reload this Page >

Century Phoenix 52 4-stroke heli engine

Community
Search
Notices

Century Phoenix 52 4-stroke heli engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 01:15 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Century Phoenix 52 4-stroke heli engine

Hey, everybody. I just got a Century Phoenix 52 4-stroke heli. The heli is discontinued and the manual calls for an OS 52 4-stroke engine. Is it required that you use this engine, or can I install the OS .50SXH-Hyper engine in this thing?? I'm brand new to helicopters and would rather have this engine on it. Please advise.

Extra_230 aka Clinton
Old 01-07-2006, 01:44 PM
syclic

Default RE: Century Phoenix 52 4-stroke heli engine

As it is you cannot use an OS 50 as it has way to much power, uses a far different gearing etc.. Note: The OS 52FS had even less power then the OS28FSH two stroke engine!

If you want to use a 2 stroke, I would suggest the OS32, change the gearing using the inexpensive clutch and clutch bell from the Hawk and the primary 13T pinion gear from the Hawk. You will also probably find that you will have to change the lower mainframes & engine mount to that from the Hawk Pro.

You still will not have as good a heli as the great little Hawk Pro because the Phoenix used bushings on all bellcranks, had a far softer rotor damping, used the shorter mainshaft that was only 8mm in diameter (limits your pitch range to sport aerobatics), used the wire drive tail instead of the torque tube of the Pro and a number of other significant differences.

But with the changes above it will still make a good trainer.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:57 PM
flytheedge

Hey, Thanks a lot for the advice! How'd it fly with the OS 52 4-stroke heli version?? I'm just using it as a cheap trainer platform anyway. Have a wonderful day!
Clint
Old 01-16-2006, 08:28 PM
syclic

Actually, it is quite underpowered by todays standards. The heli is more then adequate for training well into forward flight and basic aerobatics. The problem isn't the heli mechanics. The problem is the relatively low power of the OS52 4 stroke engine and where its carburator is situated relative to the fuel tank. The carb is much lower then the center of the fuel tank making the needles a real pain to set up. I found that using a uniflow system and running the needles in a lot farteher then the instructions that came with the engine was the only way I could keep it running.

IMHO, when one is learning to fly a heli he needs everything to be as simple as possible. Adding the complexity of setting a 4-stroke airplane engine to operate in a 30 size heli just makes things a lot more difficult. That is why I suggest changing it over to the gearing required for a 30 size two stroke heli engine and using that would be a better way to go.

Unfortunately, when people cannot get their heli to fly because the engine cannot be made to run reliably, they will either give up on helis or think the heli is the problem when it is the engine, not the heli.

I have about 120 flights on my Phoenix over the past 8 or so years since I got it. It now resides in a scale S-300 configuration. But it is nowhere near as good a combination as the Hawk Pro with an OS32.

That would be like comparing a Honda Civic with a 50hp 3 cylinder engine to the same Honda Civic with all the sport package options added including a hot turbo 120hp 4 cyclinder. Both are the same car from the same manufacturer and will teach me how to drive, but how each is equiped make for and entirely different ride.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:41 AM
flytheedge

Yeah, I see what your point is. I appreciate all the help and stuff. Are parts and upgrades that you're talking about available anywhere?? Thanks.
Clinton