Search
Notices

WOW - No training gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Tubes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW - No training gear!

I finally took off the training gear. HUGE difference! it seems much more responsive. I also had to turn the gain on the gyro way down. I think it was at ATV 75 and now it is at like 52! As soon as I lifted off, the tail started to wag a lot. You can not be lazy when taking off and landing with out the training gear. I was surprised at how tippy it was. I also decided it was time to do a piro, for the first time. It went so well, I did another and another.....! This was my best day yet. I can't wait till I can hover nose-in and sideways. I am doing alright with the sideways, but not totally confident yet.

I think I am going to upgrade the tail drive wire, like some of you have recently. When the tail was doing all of that wagging, it sounded so bad, whoosh - whoosh. I figure for a buck or two, why not!

Can't wait for more good weather!!

Reuben
Old 06-22-2003, 01:52 AM
Phily

congrats Reuben!
I would wait to up grade till your flying circuts and reverse thats were a tork tube may help more, and in that time you may have a tail boom strike and change at that time. your dime though.

willie
Old 07-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Tubes

I did the upgrade on the tail drive wire. I used a 3/32" wire (2.38mm). I filed two flats on the front end of it to fit in the output shaft, and filed a single flat at the rear. It looked just like the factory wire but silver. I had to drill out the tail gearbox input shaft to fit the new wire, but no problem.
This upgraded wire makes a huge difference! I was able to turn down the gain on my gyro a little more and there was NO woosh - woosh sound when piroing. It stopped on a dime too!

I was having so much fun, I decided to start to learn forward flight. WOW its crazy! You can't just say go left or right like you can on an airplane, you have to tell it to do everything! One minute you will be flying forward and before you know it your going sideways, backward, up, down, forward again, and then your pretending to be a rototiller.
I got about two tanks in before the crash. I managed to break the landing gear and blades, bent the feathering spindle and flybar. I think the main shaft is OK. There was less damage than I was imagining. I am glad there was no muffler/engine damage because it came down on that side. Now I just have to put it back together.

Still enthusiastic

Reuben