Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Ivan Kristensen 'dethroned' reigning Nats champ Dave Brown with a beautiful Citation in 1983. It was powered with an OS .61VR and was flown with spectacular precision ( I was a few fliers behind Ivan and got to watch every flight; Dave flew very well, as usual, but Ivan deserved the victory). Another one of T. Yoshioka's fabulous designs (Blue Angel, Citation, Dash-5, Flash, Imagine).
-Will
Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Thanks Will. I find I'm still learning of Classic Pattern history an exciting designs. New to me!
Chris...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Citation is the epitome of the pre-turnaround models. I had one for a short time in 1983 and it was going to be my WC model. But I crashed it from a run down battery after 30 flights. When Don gets it done I may very well have to get one.

The other model I want to build is an EU-1A. Watching the power the new YS Short Stroke makes told me it would be great in one of those. An EU-1A in Blue Angels scheme! Not much better then that!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
TonyF

Ivan had two Citations. After the 1983 Worlds he sold one to a friend of mine in Cleveland. I got to fly it a couple of times. Absolutely the best pre-turnaround model I ever flew. Just incredible. I could easily see why Ivan did so well with it. I just hope a glass and foam one flies as well as the original as they were all wood. Yoshioka kitted them. The kits were even better then the MK stuff out at the time. I'd love to get one of them!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TonyF

Ivan had two Citations. After the 1983 Worlds he sold one to a friend of mine in Cleveland. I got to fly it a couple of times. Absolutely the best pre-turnaround model I ever flew. Just incredible.
I agree Tony. Man this brings back a memory from the past......It was around 82 or 83 when I built one for a friend. I set it up completely including the test and trim flights, witha brand new YS 60 short stroke/hatori and JR Unlimited 8 (remember them?). It was a great combination.

It built light, flew just as light and flew true with no mixing. I delivered it to my friend to a contest who proceeded to stuff it on his second flight. OUCH! It hurtME to see it go in......
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 AM
TonyF

It was an Unlimited 8 in my Citation when it crashed. Also, it was my first model with all JR servos in it and I was not used to their increased draw over the World servos I had been using. Forgot to check the battery voltage, flew too much and the battery gave up the ghost. I don't think my friend who framed up the model ever really forgave me! Mine had an O.S. .61VR, the rear intake version, just like Yoshioka used.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
MTK

It was an Unlimited 8 in my Citation when it crashed. Also, it was my first model with all JR servos in it and I was not used to their increased draw over the World servos I had been using. Forgot to check the battery voltage, flew too much and the battery gave up the ghost. I don't think my friend who framed up the model ever really forgave me! Mine had an O.S. .61VR, the rear intake version, just like Yoshioka used.
Ahhh, back in the days of 500 ma airborne batteries.

Yes that's right...I remember the distinctiveNACA duct feature it sported on its nose (I think it was the nose and not the belly pan) for the rear intake of the original. I carved the same into the top of the nose just for kicks and looks in my case. The YS of course was not rear intake and didn't need that duct.

It was such a good flier that if I recall correctly, on its maiden flight I flew the expert sequence very verywell. I went to field as much as I could after work that week and flew it around 20 flights before I delivered it that weekend
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sanding, Sanding and a little Sanding, Painting, Clear coats and Presto .....the Plugs are done. Well maybe just a little more sanding with some 600 grit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32403.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1881133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54054.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1881134  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 AM
stuntflyr

No pictures, Don. Must have been a "error 500" night, huh?
Chris...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 AM
frequent flyer

Yeap, you guessed it. I wonder why it does that? It worked today and I added the pictures.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM
TonyF

I just got these two delivered yesterday. Got them right here on RCU in the Classifieds. The Intruder ended up being a .40 when I was looking for a .60, but it's nice. Would be a fun model to build. The Pulsar is really nice, untouched kit. This is one that would really benefit from Don's skills as the fuse is pretty heavy. You interested in doing one, Don? If so I can get it to you. The .40 Intruder is also a bit on the heavy side if you want to do it also.

Name:	Wu61315.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1882449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25417.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1882450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31414.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1882451  
Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Dean Pappas

Hello Don,
If you do a Pulsar fuse, please consider your first order on the books.

Regards,
Dean Pappas
Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 PM
stuntflyr

Is the Pulsar that pretty biplane Pattern ship?

edit; Oh, I see the picture, yeah that thing is cool, I'd get two and make them electric one for my old man.

Chris...
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM
frequent flyer

I can do the Pulsar Bipe . Is that a 60 size ?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 PM
TonyF

Yep, it's a .60 model. I can bring the kit to the Classic Fly-In at Riverside next week if you're interested.

Tony
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM
frequent flyer

Sure Tony ,I'll be there, THANKS

Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

I think the .40 Intruder would be nice. Need an alternative to the DB-40. Plus it saves me from trying to build one from scratch.

Jim

I just got these two delivered yesterday. Got them right here on RCU in the Classifieds. The Intruder ended up being a .40 when I was looking for a .60, but it's nice. Would be a fun model to build. The Pulsar is really nice, untouched kit. This is one that would really benefit from Don's skills as the fuse is pretty heavy. You interested in doing one, Don? If so I can get it to you. The .40 Intruder is also a bit on the heavy side if you want to do it also.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,

I agree. 40 size alternatives to the DB are needed. What would your top 5 choices be?

Anyone else?

David
Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

1) Minare
2) Dirty Birdy 40
3) Atlas 40
4) Blue Angel 40
5) Kirkland A6 Intruder
6) Gator Flea (Compensator)
7) Super Kaos
8) T2A-40 (kit on shelf in garage)

Most of my engines at home are 0.40 anyways,

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Jim,

I agree. 40 size alternatives to the DB are needed. What would your top 5 choices be?

Anyone else?

David
Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 PM
ChiefK

I had a .40 size Phoenix ... back in the day. Flew great... loved it.

ChiefK
Old 05-17-2013, 07:56 PM
FSFLYER
My Feedback: (12)

Got a .40 size glass/foam kit of a Warlord. Shown at 1:20 into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=60NYhU7kq8E
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I vote for a new version of the Bobcat, the .40 sized Tigertail.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

1) Minare
2) Dirty Birdy 40 [img][/img]
3) Atlas 40
4) Blue Angel 40
5) Kirkland A6 Intruder
6) Gator Flea (Compensator)
7) Super Kaos
8) T2A-40 (kit on shelf in garage)

Most of my engines at home are 0.40 anyways,
Given that Don and others have the 60 size classics covered, I have been working a bit on filling the void in the 40 size space. The Minare (Curare 40) could be done but I believe there are several Curare options out there today and another one is not particularly deserving. Maybe I'm wrong. On the other hand I have a pretty nice drawn up version of a 25-32 size Tiporare and it would be doable to convert that to a 46 size version for the production of a few kits. In fact, Phil and I have been working on the 40 size design (which he'll build) but given my 25-32 size drawing I'm more inclined to want to fill the 46-55 size engine space.

As for other designs I have pretty advanced drawings for both the Arrow 40 (MK) and the Citation 45 (Yoshioka) both designed for RE powerful 45-46's (i.e., OS VF's, YS FR's and Rossi R45's - this last albeit quite rare nowadays). The same goes for the Blue Angel 40 and the Thunder Bird 40 (both MK). Last but not least I have been thinking about the Yoshioka Dash-5 45 and finally 40 size versions of the Bootlegger, Brushfire, Calypso and Cutlass. The last of which is really a 50 size design as it stands and would likely do very well on anything between a strong 45 and a 55 provided it is re-designed to frame up lightly which I've mostly done. As for the Calypso, well, it is a design that was never kitted as framed up

If there is interest in some laser cut kits of any of the designs mentioned, a thread could be started to discuss them. As I plan to cut one or two of these (probably not all) for myself at some point, I'd be happy to share that effort with anyone else interested as was done with the Dirty Birdy 40.

We can start a thread to open the discussion and decide which one to do first. I'm happy to collaborate with anyone interested along the lines of what Doug and I (and Kevin) did with the Super Chipmunk 120 (thread on RCG). With the Dirty Birdy 40 I was also spurred into action and helped by a nice set of CAD rib drawings provided to me by Jim.

David
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

A 40 size Escape or Great Escape would be fun!

Brian
Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 PM
frequent flyer

It has been a battle to get time to complete these molds with all the orders lately. I did get the Mach 1 done and have been shipping orders for the last few days. doing number 7 tomorrow so if you were on the prepaid list its getting close now. Hang in there with me through these busy times, thanks.

Name:	Pn37239.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1893668  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.