Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
jjpetro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is it?

An older friend of mine passed away and left 45 planes and kits behind. His widow asked me to help "liquidate" the treasure trove in the basement. I have identified all of the kits except this one.

I fear this is going to make me look pretty ignorant, but, I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure several of you will recognize it instantly. If anyone is interested in discontinued, classic or vintage kits then check out my web site in a week or two. I'll have his planes on there.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
jjpetro

Default RE: What is it?

Ok, so none of those pictures uploaded, I'll try again.

Be gentle with me guys.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it could be a Quickie 500 type, sport pylon model. Is that a .40 size engine?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 PM
jjpetro

Yes, I believe it is a .40 (meant to look at it but forgot). I thought it looked a little bit like a Quickie racer, too. It has a very thin wing.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 PM
R_G

You might want to post a couple of photos in the Pylon Forum. I'm sure someone there could give you an accurate ID, if it is a Quickie of some sort.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
flyingtheoldones

I just sawthat plane as akit on eb*y last! I'm sorry I cant remember the name. I seached "kit" and spent a couple hourswindow shopping. I'll tryto find it again for you.

DM
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
flyingtheoldones

What is that on the shelf in the background? in the 7th picture, or 3rd one, 2nd row? looks sleek.

DM
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
jjpetro

It's a mini pulse xt. A few years before he died he started to get into electric arf's. I'm not quite sure why, because he loved building more than flying. He also had a regular scale pulse xt. Very sharp, you're right, they are sleek.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 AM
immelman50

Hi Jeff,

I am pretty sure that plane was made by a company called Wolf Pak ( not sure of the spelling ...Pak ..Pack or.. Pac)in the mid eighties I believe.. I had the shoulder wing version which was called a Shrike. I am sorry I can't recall the name of the low wing kit. The one you have is precisely the same as the Shrike other than low wing. The kit came without full sized plans and was very well cut and engineered to go together without needing full sized plans. I was skeptical of that claim, but found it to be true. The spars and ribs went together egg crate style, much like some of the laser cut kits do now. That was new to me at the time. I think the kit was hand cut, no die cutting, all parts were in finished form sanded and ready to use. It was a good sport flier, not unusually fast even though it resembles a Quickie . The low wing version would have been similar. I think I had just a K&B 40 on mine. The way the gear slides into a slot was the key to identifying it for me because there were a lot of similar looking sport airframes.

The shoulder wing Shrike had that curved section of the fuselage on top rather than on the bottom like the one you have and I believe the two versions were done by simply flipping the fuselage, wing saddle up or down. It probably only required different fuselage sides to make the switch.

Chuck
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

It's a Wolff-Pak Thrush.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:37 AM
flyingtheoldones

Chuck and Ron beat me to it!

That is the plane I saw, I found it again on the "other auctions" section. Owner is listing as a ThrushLow Wing Pattern Ship.
Gosh.. is ther Any pattern plane that can get by these guys??

DM
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
jjpetro

No Dave, nothing much can get by this great crowd of guys and that's why I started on the Classic Pattern Forum first!!!

Thanks guys. I'm glad it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be....makes me feel a wee bit better.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 AM
immelman50

Ron has it. Thrush was the name of the low wing one. I couldn't think of it. I wouldn't put either of them in the pattern category, but you could probably fly classic novice with one ( or current sportsman for that matter). They were good sport planes though.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:08 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

The name I knew but the picture came from ebay as someone has/had one up for bid.

Ron
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Dean Pappas

ORIGINAL: immelman50

Ron has it. Thrush was the name of the low wing one. I couldn't think of it. I wouldn't put either of them in the pattern category, but you could probably fly classic novice with one ( or current sporstman for that matter). They were good sport planes though.
Yes, the shoulder wing version was the Shrike.
Great kits of nice Sport planes.

Regards,
Dean P.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
jjpetro

Hey guys, Jim's kits and planes are listed on my web site. The Thrush, Lancer and Kaos have sold, but there are others. Lots of discontinues kits, too.

Just go to my web site and follow the "Jim's Planes" link.

He also had some engines (NIB). I'll be working on the site tonight adding monokote, wheels, fuel tanks, etc

Thanks.