Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Phoenix 8 Big Time Price

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Phoenix 8 Big Time Price

This is going to bring the glass and foam kit's out of storage. I did not look yet, but an MK Atlas and a glass Bridi plane was along side it. With these price's, I am rich
Crank

Please wait
Image not available 64” PHOENIX 8 FIBERGLASS R/C PATTERN MODEL AIRPLANE KIT
Item condition: New
Ended: Dec 10, 201016:00:10 PST
Winning bid: US $405.00 [ 27 bids ]
Shipping: $42.00 Standard
Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
zedad71
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix 8 Big Time Price

Dirty birdy glass, 255$
Atlas kit 231$

the pheonix surprised me when it went that high, but then its not like they are around every corner either
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

aren't lighter more modern p-8's available from somewhere in CA?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone's hobby shelf is a little emptier and wallet a little fuller.

Jim
Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: crankpin

This is going to bring the glass and foam kit's out of storage. I did not look yet, but an MK Atlas and a glass Bridi plane was along side it. With these price's, I am rich
Crank

Please wait
Image not available 64” PHOENIX 8 FIBERGLASS R/C PATTERN MODEL AIRPLANE KIT
Item condition: New
Ended: Dec 10, 201016:00:10 PST
Shipping: $42.00 Standard
Wow! For that price I'd be willing to sell my old Phoenix 8 kit that's been gathering dust forever.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran that baby up as high as I thought I wanted to go, and then went higher. At 375 I thought what am I doing. (really wanted it bad....) When it went like 385 I said screw it 400$ it went 405 and was over. Wanted the Dirty Birdy too.... Shoulda put my money on that instead. Same guy got both. Figured if you want it that bad I'm gonna make it hurt.

Maybe next time....

Tim
Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 AM
crankpin

I go through this all the time. Tim, you did it right. Put the highest number you are satisfied with, then let it go. What can happen in these situation's, it isn't about the kit anymore, it is a bidding war, something else take's over, the "gotta have it", mentality. If the price get's to 300-400, another $50.00 doesn't matter. The most I have gotten for a P-8 in the past, $200.00.
Vince
Old 12-11-2010, 07:09 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Crank
Shipping: $42.00 Standard [/size]
Hey Vince, I thought for a sec maybe you got the P-8, crazy high in my view. I did want the Dirty Birdi to compliment my wood built one but when it hit $177 with a few minutes to go Ithought not for me, the $255 was hit with 3 secs left to bid. The Atlas was the cheap one; maybe Don will get wings and stuff going and we'll have fresh epoxy/glass/balsa/ etc to blend together pretty soon!
hook

Way to go Tim! They'll probably go on a shelf, I'd rather see em on air!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:24 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You can get the Atlas short kit from Eureka (foam wing & stab plus formers - no sheet wood) for $145. They will be offering an all wood version, but no price listed as yet. I figure you'll need to add at least $40 worth of contest balsa plus control horns, fuel tank, spinner (all of which are included in the kit). You'll probably end up spending pretty close to the $231 price for the kit; so the kit was very reasonably priced and cheap from a collectible perspective. MK usually includes some nicely formed wood parts which facilitate building and are hard to replicate; conversely a new kit from Eureka hasn't been sitting in somebody's basement or attic for the past 30 years.
As for the P-8, the molds are out there (Scott may have them) and I'd guess the P-8 will be kitted again. The price was not that much more than what we'll probably pay for a new kit which I'd estimate would be at least $300. If the new kit has a gel-coat fuselage then it will be worth the wait and the price.
The auction price always depends on how many want it and how much they are willing to spend. I've gotten caught up in the bidding frenzy a couple of times. I never end up winning and usually don't regret it when I see the final price; especially when the price ends up being $100 or more than my final bid.
Hey Vince, I'm rich, too - haha! If there are enough folks out there to buy all my stuff!
-Will
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

I would caution everyone to be aware of PUMP and DUMP it happens in every area of our economy not just stocks. On the bay I followed a bidder beyond the real value of an item, I was at least $100.00 over when I stopped. The bidder above me WON the item. Two days later I got a message saying the winner did not go through and I could get it at my bid price. I thought "screw that" I was bidding against the top bidder not the number three bidder who dropped out at a reasonable price $75.00 below me. I told the seller to sell to the number three bidder because I was pumped by number one who failed to buy at his own price. I cant prove it but suspect I was worked up. If you are willing to pay a "GOOD" price for an item advertise for it I'm sure if one is available you will find it and avoid the bidding frenzy! just my two cents
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: RonMcCormick

I would caution everyone to be aware of PUMP and DUMP it happens in every area of our economy not just stocks. On the bay I followed a bidder beyond the real value of an item, I was at least $100.00 over when I stopped. The bidder above me WON the item. Two days later I got a message saying the winner did not go through and I could get it at my bid price. I thought "screw that" I was bidding against the top bidder not the number three bidder who dropped out at a reasonable price $75.00 below me. I told the seller to sell to the number three bidder because I was pumped by number one who failed to buy at his own price. I cant prove it but suspect I was worked up. If you are willing to pay a "GOOD" price for an item advertise for it I'm sure if one is available you will find it and avoid the bidding frenzy! just my two cents
I agree Ron, I've seen it too (more than a few times). Fairly recently, the seller sent me a message that the buyer didn't follow through with the purchase, I could have it, I replied "nope, you can have it". To me it's shill bidding and illegal, but my bet is it happens a lot. Unless it's reasonable (like my $85 Calypso or $65 escape), I like Will's idea tobuy from the guys bringing em back. (Ok, I did go over $200 for the Tiger Tail III, but it was my first .60 sized pattern plane in 1976!)
Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM
crankpin

Mark, I forget, did you buy my T-Tail, the blue fuselage one ? Ron, "pump 'n dump". I have been around that auction site a lot, buying and selling, and the shill bid issue never entered my mind. Now I see it can happen, very easily. The last one I saw go for high price, was the hippo tipo of (Dick Hanson?). I have seen one of my OS61 SF's, Ringed, go for $225.00, plus shipping, NIB excellent, and have seen them bid to only $160.00. It is timing. I have a NIB YSFZ110S on auction now. First time up, not much action, re-listed, 5 time's the looker's and watcher's then the first listing. All timing.

Vince
Old 12-11-2010, 12:03 PM
hook57

Yep, I did Vince. She's on the bench, tails attached, motor mount is in and mounting a Kraft 61 in her tonight. Wing is saddled up and ready for retracts, servos, and tips. Should be ready by March. I agonized over the alignment (not the greatest workshop), probably to anal about alignment but I'm square all around to within about 1/32 and less than 1/2 degree, so hopefully she's straight.

Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
crankpin

Mark, maybe you could send some picture's when finished, or anytime? RCU member, "Flapsdown", I sent him a lot of measured outline's of a P-6 fuselage, nose to tail. Has anyone seen him on here ? He is building an all wood fuselage P-6. Something like reverse engineeering.

Vince