Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

What to do with an original (1970's) NIB Phoenix 8

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What to do with an original (1970's) NIB Phoenix 8

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Premium2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with an original (1970's) NIB Phoenix 8

I'm hoping to get some advice regarding how to best go about finding a good home for an original Phoenix 8 along with a nice Super Tigre G60 Blue Head.

A little background. My wife and I were members of the W.O.R.K.S. RC club in Dayton, Ohio in the early 70's. While there, Don Lowe was also a member and did a lot of his practice flying at our field. Being a young, aspiring pilot I envisioned myself someday flying like him (never happened). My wife, as a surprise Christmas gift for me, at the time, bought one of Don's latest kits, the Phoenix 8 directly from him along with a nice but used Super Tigre G60 Blue Head to go with it.

Well, to make a long story short our jobs got in the way and RC flying took a back seat until just recently. Meanwhile, the kit and engine has sat in the attic for the past 35 years. While we both are pretty good pilots today all of our activity is in electric flight (sport 3D and heli's). Frankly, I've held on to the Phoenix all these years for sentimental reasons but after talking to my wife about it we both think it's time to let it go. There is no real good reason to let a fine airship like this just sit around and collect even more dust.

I do the majority of my on-line interaction with the RC community on RCgroups.com but I'm not sure that is the best place to reach the group of people who would really enjoy this plane. A few folks who are into Vintage aircraft recommeded getting some advise here. While I would like to get whatever the market value is for a plane like this it is also important to me that it ends up in the hands of someone who will do justice to Don's creation.

Thanks for any input that you guys (gals) might have.

Larry Tittle

Since I did such a bad job of attaching photo's to my thread I went ahead and loaded them into my photo gallery. Please look there if you are interested in seeing what I'm writing about, thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Premium2000

Default RE: What to do with an original (1970's) NIB Phoenix 8

Sorry the attached pics did not work out. I'll try again.

Larry
Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pm sent.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Larry
Ouch, that’s a lot of blistering of the surface, 35 years in the attic and all that Heat.
Seen that before with planes stored in attics.
That looks like a lot of work to save something that you can get New today.

Check this thread out,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322972

Post# 75, 76, 77

Good luck with the sell

Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul,

thx for the heads up. i did not notice the blisters. a P-8 is a fairly rare offering though.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
pitstop000

Paul,

thx for the heads up. i did not notice the blisters
David,
I’ve seen that too many times.

I agree, Original kits are rare, and few are left.
Especially the ones in pristine condition, prices defiantly reflect that.
More for collectors though.

On the other hand,
Old is Old and New is always going to be better,
especially if you’re planning to build and Fly.

Wear a plane out in the Sky,
and not just let it crumble away in a box is my take.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Premium2000

Thanks for your input, maybe I ought to just hang on to it if it won't be air worthy. It's no big deal. I just thought someone who is into vintage planes would appreciate a classic. Someone suggested I try AMA, they might be interested in having it in their collection.

Larry
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 PM
pitstop000

Larry

Don’t let my words discourage you; you’ll definitely find a buyer.

It was just my take, others will have other opinions.

Like I said before Good Luck with the Sale.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Premium2000

Thanks for the advice Paul. I took another look at it this morning and I can feel the blistering that you pointed out. The fuse is smooth but there are slightly raised surfaces corrsponding with the discolorations much like goose bumps. I feel a little better because it does not appear to me to have affected the structural integrity of the fuse, but getting a nice smooth finish would take some work. Perhaps that was what you are saying.

In this age of ARF's there aren't as many modelers out there that have the time or patience to tackle this kind of a job. I guess these planes were ahead of the curve, in their day. They were more "HRF's" Halfway Ready To Fly.

Anyway, maybe my kit would be better suited for a collector who either has the skill to restore it or would just enjoy it in it's original condition. If anyone knows of collectors that might be interested I would appreciate any contact information. Is there a website or organization which this type of collector participate?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Patrick F
My Feedback: (17)

Hey Larry, can you send me some pic's to take a look at also need to know where you have it up for sale.

Thnaks Pat