Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SIMLA BUILD THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 AM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIMLA BUILD THREAD

High Guys,

I finally glassed my wings yesterday. I am going to try to finish her up this week. The good news for me is that I am soloing and doing fairly well so far. I have been flying four different aircraft and they are all still in the number of pieces they started with.

Bill
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 AM
thom25

Hey Bill,
Glad to hear you are still at it. I hope you can get it finished soon so you can enjoy flying it. How about posting the weights before and after glassing/painting so we can compare finishing weights?
Thom
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
billberry189

Thom,

I was out at our flying field today, and the subject of projects came up. More specifically the number of projects that I am working on. It seems that I have seven major projects going right now, including the Simla, a Taurus,a Seagull Extra 260, a Great Planes 50cc Patty Wagstaff Extra 300, a Sig 104" Spacewalker, a Midwest Mach 1 blown up 15% to handle a 15 cc gasser and built from scratch, and finally a 40 cc size Biplane. Lot's of stuff to do, however, my focus is primarily on the Simla and Taurus at this time. Hopefully a week or two is allI'll need to finish them both.

I will try to get those numbers on before and after weights as soon as possible.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 PM
billberry189

Thom

As requested, the unfinished wings weights were 28.4 oz for the right wing and 29.6 for the left wing (that includes all hardware). The glassed wings came to 30.4 oz for the right wing and 31.0 oz. for the left wing. More to come when I have finished the wings later this week

Bill
Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

I have a question,Do all SIMLA'S have to be painted/covered in the original scheme? I was wondering if it would be Sacrilegious to create a different covering scheme.
stefanP
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 PM
billberry189

stephanP,

Perhaps it would be better if Duane commented here, but apparently at least one of the proto types had a different finishing scheme. I personally chose to follow the original scheme in the spirit of trying to recreate a Simla similar to Ed's. My second Simla will have a paint scheme considerably different from the original.

As far as chosing paint over one of the popular plastic coverings, I just prefer the results I get from painting. It is a lot more work and I have alot more time invested, but it just produces a smoother, sleeker appearance on the finished product. Painted surfaces also do not wringle when exposed to the sun. But of course at altitude and speed no one can see the difference between a painted plane and one that has been covered with plastic. The down side of painting an airframe is of course the added weight; but with a little effort and practice the weight difference can be overcome to some extent.

Bill
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: billberry189

stephanP,

Perhaps it would be better if Duane commented here, but apparently at least one of the proto types had a different finishing scheme. I personally chose to follow the original scheme in the spirit of trying to recreate a Simla similar to Ed's. My second Simla will have a paint scheme considerably different from the original.

Bill
The short answer to StefanP's question is "YES".

You have to keep in mind what we were trying to do in the Simla project, and that was to create the original Ed Kazmirski Simla as close as possible to the "look" of Ed's original model. To us that meant the exterior appearance, and of course the paint scheme. A lot of improvements have come "down the pike" since 1965. The interior workings reflect a modern CF wing tube, and a different method of wing attachment than Ed used, (which would no doubt be thought of as crude and very heavy today). Our intent from the start was never to absolutely duplicate Ed's model as he originally built it...just the exterior model and its shape and dimensions.

Our original hope was to have all three prototypes finished at the same time, (with the same Kazmirski paint scheme), and included in a photo for the magazine article, however by the time Kevin's Simla was ready for finishing, the original prototype used in the article had flown, and the article was already published. For that reason Kevin "went wild" with his scheme (which I think is Monokote, and is lighter). I decided to use fabric and paint, (which I almost never do) in this case just because of the model, the article, and the historic significance of the aircraft itself. Notice in the pictures below..... Ed with his plane, the original dimension photo, the magazine prototype, and finally Kevin's own color scheme for his model which flew a few months later.

A second Simla when it comes may have a "Kazmirski-like" scheme in the same colors, but the plane may be modified quite a bit. Kevin and I have talked a lot about what a "modern day" Simla would have looked like if Ed were designing it now...something for 2-meter AMA competition. We were thinking of the mods we'd make, (as if we were modern-day "Ed"s), to build a 2-meter plane. That would be a fun project for us with a completely different goal in mind, which will give a totally different outcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41195.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1784756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99637.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1784757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55157.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1784758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22898.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1784759  
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM
thom25

Has anyone modeled the Simla for the RealFlight R/C simulator yet? It would be fun to fly it on the computer as well, especially as it is over 100 out today. There we could see how it flies with .60, .75 .90 and 1.20 engines
Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thom, you may have that fun but not for free. Maybe better Duane should comment on it, so only this: It was part of the Simla resurrection project that I rendered several variants (wing, weight, drive) in a simulator to see how they fly (three years ago). Duane has them all. It's just not RF but Reflex XTR. There might be a FSone rendering as well and if so, Andy Kunz should be able to comment on that.

Name:	Vt56602.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1786467  
Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM
bem

Hi,

Here is a nice Simla plane shown at F3A Retro Day in Schwitzerland July 7, 2012 - see image below. Link where it is shown:

http://www.leodolter.ch/index.php?op...d=37&Itemid=42

Built from theSimla kit I assume?

/Bo

Name:	Mk26412.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1786769  
Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: bem

Hi,

Here is a nice Simla plane shown at F3A Retro Day in Schwitzerland July 7, 2012 - see image below. Link where it is shown:

Built from the Simla kit I assume?

/Bo
It's nice to see these kits finally being built and completed. He apparently doesn't believe in white paint judging by the rest of his Kazmirski collection, but very nicley built. beautiful location for a model show.

I know just enough German to not be able to quite understand the captions.

Duane
Old 08-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Wduck

Are there any plans to do an other run of kits for the Simla?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 AM
stefanP

You gotta check with the MAN!! http://www.classicrchobby.com/
Old 08-18-2012, 04:26 PM
stefanP

Well after much thought I will use the stock colors on mine too.BUT I will fly the plane on a ASTRO FAI 60 Cobalt motor direct drive.Yes mine will be electric powerd.Only moderen aspect is that the plane will use Lipo batteries.
stefanP
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: stefanP

Well after much thought I will use the stock colors on mine too.BUT I will fly the plane on a ASTRO FAI 60 Cobalt motor direct drive.Yes mine will be electric powerd.Only moderen aspect is that the plane will use Lipo batteries.
stefanP
I am quite partial to Ed's color scheme and design...to me it just seems right.

Electric is the up-and-coming method of propulsion...good luck. That is going to be one LARGE plane being powered electronically.

Duane
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingaltair

That is going to be one LARGE plane being powered electronically.

Duane
Yes, and it is an especially well suited one (remember it's an aerobatic motorglider).
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: UStik
Yes, and it is an especially well suited one (remember it's an aerobatic motorglider).
Remember I said the engine quit on a flight at a VR/CS, (Vintage R/C Society) event and the pilot was narrating as the plane descended...first he said it wouldn't make it to the runway...then he said maybe...and by the time it reached the small 50 foot "hard surface pad", the Simla touched down within the pad as several onlookers were cheering it on. [8D] See post #784 on page 32 for a picture as Simla landed nose-high in a beautiful touch-down.

Simla DOES like to glide.

Duane
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
thom25

Hey Duane,
I saw your article in the recent Model Aviation. Where can a guy get plans and a short kit for the Daddy Rabbit V?
Thom
Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 AM
kingaltair

Will send you a PM
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 AM
kingaltair

Jeff recently received this message...it is the kind of message kit developers/manufacturers LOVE to get: Does this mean he has Simla #5?

Looking forward to pictures.

Any word on the other Simla(s)??

Duane

Howdy Jeff:

Well, we finally got the maiden flight done on my SIMLA. What a beauty it was in flight. My club instructor flew it for me and it was truly awesome. The SIMLA did everything my pilot asked it to do and it did it all so superbly. Several folks took pictures and if you are interested I will send you some in the mail. Let me know. Ed Kazmirski would have been proud. What an airplane. Thanks for producing the kit. I have many RC airplanes but the SIMLA will be one of my favorites.

Jim Young
Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 AM
thom25

Duane,
I am still flying mine. What a plane! At our club's recent big bird fly-in the Simla was a big hit. Many questions about it. Several people wanted to know where to get one. I referred them to Jeff's web site ClassicRCHobby. I hope he will still produce kits.
Thom
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: thom25

Duane,
I am still flying mine. What a plane! At our club's recent big bird fly-in the Simla was a big hit. Many questions about it. Several people wanted to know where to get one. I referred them to Jeff's web site ClassicRCHobby. I hope he will still produce kits.
Thom
That is so great to hear!! The Simla is quite elegant, graceful, and impressive in the air. You don't see too many "Big Bird" planes shaped like a pattern plane...particulalry a vintage pattern plane with its own historical story. The original Simla flew 47 years ago.

I'm sure Jeff will find a way to keep the Simla available down the road.

Duane
Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 PM
billberry189

Hey Guys,

Well, I am still alive and plugging away at it. Today was a "red letter day", as I finally painted the wings. Tomorrow one of the local clubsis having a picnic so I will be there taking some pictures of my Simla. Unfortunately I won't be flying her just yet since I ran out of time today and did not get the ailerons or servo covers painted. But since they both are red only, I should be able to finish them next week. Since I will be out of town next weekend it will be the weekend of Oct. 13, before I get to maiden her.(Good thing I'm not superstitious) lol.

Bill

PS- She came in heavier than I expected at 13 lbs even. I am going to invest some time in losing some of that weight.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM
thom25

Bill,
Even if your plane was 15#s it will fly very nicely! Can't wait to hear about your first flight and see some pictures. If you get some spare time could you figure how much the fiberglassing and painting weighs in total on your Simla?
Thom
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM
nilspeder

I was just wondering what kinds of electric motors folks have been putting in their Simlas. I'm thinking along the lines of a Scorpion S4020-12 or S4025-10 - will it fit OK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.