Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Top Flite Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Tfloyd
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Taurus

I was fortunate enough to pick up a new (old kit but untouched) Top Flite Taurus (RC-7-2995) kit today at an auction and was thinking of building it to use in Classic Pattern events. I have an OS 55AX that I thought might be just the engine for this kit. Is the Taurus a good choice for Classic Pattern or would I be better served trading this kit for a newer style pattern kit? I know the Taurus is sought after and brings a pretty good price for one new in the box; I don't want to build this kit if it isn't a good choice for Classic Pattern. Would I be better served trading it for something else or is the plane/engine combination I'm considering viable. Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM
beppeVRCS

Default RE: Top Flite Taurus

I love the Taurus and I think it is the BEST aerobatic plane for the pattern sequence in use in the early sixties and for REED systems. If you do not consider flying reed in an old pattern schedule,m then the taurus is not for you. Even if the OS 55 will provide twice as much the power of the old VECO 45, nevertheless the design is not a good one for Proportional systems and it is not at ease with inverted maneuvers, as well as rotation around the X axis.
I'm building one right now, but I plan to use a VECO 50 and a modern "REED" system...
Ciao
Beppe
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kit would be worth a lot more to a collector, and if built, covered with silk and dope as were the originals back in the sixties.

Frank
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Tfloyd

Upon further inspection and discussion with a person more knowledgable of the Taurus kit it appears someone has punched out the pieces and this kit therefore has no collectors value. It is now a "build it" kit and as such it's value is not significant. Based on this information I'll probably go ahead and assemble it and fly it as a decent Sport Plane or as a Vintage Classic. I appreciate the information from those of you that responded and it's nice to know what I really have. It's not a big deal as I picked this kit up fairly cheap at an auctiion.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've flown the Taurus with both an OS 46 and 55. The 46 is perfect and 55 is a good choice. You may need to move the battery a bit more aft for balance when using the 55. I installed the elev/rud servo in the aft fuse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65589.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1729044  
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Tfloyd

Nice looking Taurus. I have a Enya 45 CX and the OS 55 AX sitting on the shelf. The Enya 45 may be the right engine for the Taurus. Don't have an OS 46 but the Enya sould be very similar in weight and power.

I might copy your covering scheme (or something very close) if you don't mind. I really like what you did with your Taurus and it seem like it would be very visible while flying.