Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Typhoon restart

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
tgwhitley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typhoon restart

Some years ago my good friend Richard "Dick" Austin and I stared building Typhoons the 1988 909 sq inch version. Dick had a heart attack at modeling event and he died doing what he loved being around modelers and rc planes. I lost interest in the hobby and after around 17 years have regained excitement for flying and will finish the build started so long ago. I will ask questions and seek advice here so check in on this build and give advice offer hints and so forth. Will add photo's.

Tim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59179.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1776742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32090.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1776743  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Typhoon restart

Welcome back Tim. We will all enjoy the build and can't wait to see you get started. I am sure you will find plenty of help here because we all look forward to helping out.

We all want to offer our condolences to an RC friend Dick Austin even if it was many years ago.

Glad to have you back

Frank
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember Mr. Austin met him at a pattern contest in Nashville, he had an arrow with ops 60, thats why I built an arrow myself cause I loved his so much
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
308jockey

I remember many a contest with Dick Austin judging. The only 10 I ever got at the Nats was from Dick. Pretty unforgettable, a super nice guy.

Rick H.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM
tgwhitley

Dick was a true gentleman and friend to many people myself included. Jetmech43 he really liked all of Wolfgang's designs and flew Atlas before the Arrow and of course the Arrow with a Gold Head OPS 60 from Shamrock imports. Rick he judged many contest masters nats etc and would score based on the maneuver not the pilot performing the flight you earned the 10 and he would reward you for it. We would always be the last to leave our club flying field usually about 1 hour after dark and talked about many things more than just modeling, life in general several great memories. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tim
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 PM
tgwhitley

Finished sheeting the one incomplete wing panel notice the nice aged balsa versus the new pieces in place the wood is from same order over 20 years ago from Lonestar 3/32 sheet contest. Glad to see that Lonestar is still in business after this long period of time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98777.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1776965  
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
tgwhitley

With the help of my good friend Steve Byrum I now have ailerons cut out and wing TE and ailerion LE stock attached now sanding to make everything fit. Will post pictures later on this evening

Tim