Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Troublemaker Resurection

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM
ChiefK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troublemaker Resurection

My first competition pattern airplane was a J&J Troublemaker which I flew to a 2nd place (Novice) in the 1974 AMA Nationals. I sold the Troublemaker when the USAF reassigned me somewhere where I couldn't take the airplane. When I was able to resume RC Flying, I recall a Kirkland Intruder, two Dirty Birdys, and a Mach 1. Then came the 20+ years away from RC while earning a MS in Computer Science, family issues, establishing a post USAF career, etc. Now, semi-retired (I'm an adjunct instructor at a local community college), RC is in my life again. Assembled a SIG "Somethin' Extra" to get started, built a Tsunami 40 for fun, discovered SPA and got the pattern bug once more. Scratch built a Deception which flew great but had a short expiration date, so got a WM Intruder ARF to have something to fly. Scratch built another Deception which also had a short expiration date, but is repairable (requires a new fuselage) and I'm doing that. But a member of my local flying club had a job related relocation and in the process of cleaning out a lot of stuff he didn't want to move, he offered me a partially built J&J Troublemaker that he quit working on, he said maybe 15-20 years prior, which was stashed in his garage. So I stashed it in my garage for almost two years now. But here I am finally working on it.

It had a Tatone engine mount installed, which was too wide for the OS .55AX I planned to install. Ripped out the old firewall, made a new one and reinstalled. It was also set up for the standard "fixed" trike gear, but I decided to make it into a tail dragger, so I've ripped out the wing gear blocks and reinstalled new wing gear blocks as far forward as I could. So I now have a fuselage which is pretty close to done. Still needs wing mounting blocks, bottom sheeting for the tank area, an engine cowling, a tail wheel, rudder and elevator control surfaces, some more sanding and finishing. The wing still needs fixed trailing edges, aileron fitting and hinging, and then complete the project with a fuel tank and all radio and control linkage installation, and finishing.

It was in rough shape to start with. I was thinking for a while that I'd just take the wing apart to trace the wing rib patterns. But now the project is on to bring this airplane back to life. Attached is a photo of my 1974 Troublemaker and a couple of shots of the current project airplane.

ChiefK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12447.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	1841826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14386.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1841827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15802.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1841828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63696.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1841829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62188.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1841830  
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Troublemaker Resurection

This would be a good article for the CPA newsletter...hint hint

scott
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

Good looking Troublemaker in the first pic. And good progress on bringing the new one up to speed. Please keep us posted. I'd enjoy seeing a new type of plane on the SPA circuit.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
ChiefK

Next step I think, is to get the wing ready to mount. I'm not fast, but I am methodical. Will continue to post progress.

ChiefK
Old 01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

few things are as Sexy as a smooth naked balsa fuselage IMHO .. Tony Bonetti was a member of my club back in the 60's / 70's (I still hear from him on Facebook occasionally )
Your 1974 version looks great, I'd bet the new one will be every bit as lovely!
very very nice!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
ChiefK

Thank you Jim, I wish I had seen Tony at the 74 Nats. I didn't realize at the time what a privilage participating would be. That's one reason why I'm so grateful that lots of good people and organizations like SPA and CPA and others are working hard to continue the legacy.

ChiefK
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

Thank you Jim, I wish I had seen Tony at the 74 Nats. I didn't realize at the time what a privilage participating would be. That's one reason why I'm so grateful that lots of good people and organizations like SPA and CPA and others are working hard to continue the legacy.

ChiefK
+1 I could not agree more
Subscribed, btw
Old 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM
proparc

Yes, It really reads like a magazine article. Now you got me hooked!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM
ChiefK

Well, I've not done a thread before.... hope I can keep you interested.

ChiefK (Greg)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I worked part time after school at the LHS in Towson Maryland in the mid seventies and behind the counter was a J&J Trouble Maker kit every day mocking me. My parents bought it for me as a birthday present and I built it over that winter. I was talked out of flying it by the local gurus, said it was too hot of a plane for me even with just a K&B 61 for power. Well I sold it at a club auction and regretted it once I saw it fly by one of those same gurus. Thrifty five years passed by and I was talking to one of my pattern mentors and jet flying buddies Andy Fenisio from DCRC and found out he and Tony were in the same club in NJ when he was in dental school. He and I now both own original J&J trouble maker kits and I believe he has one of Tonys planes in his shop. I will build mine one day soon when I get the other things that are lined up completed.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 AM
ChiefK

Ron,

Maybe you'd consider tracing the wing ribs and stab ribs for me so I can have more complete documentation of the airplane. I still have my original 1974 plans and Tony's original magazine article. BTW, I'm pretty familiar with the area where you live. I used to live in Mt. Airey, MD and I was working at the VA Hospital then in Baltimore.

Greg
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
ChiefK

A little progress has been made. Have gotten the wing aligned and the incidence set. I had forgotten how tight the area for aileron horns inside the fuselage is (yep... doing it "old-school"). No more than 3/4" of vertical space between the wing surface and the wing hold down blocks. I've got a little filling to do on the center section and wing tips, then glass the center section, then shape and hinge control surfaces, and then .........

ChiefK
Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Ron Stahl

Greg I'll pull the kit down this weekend and trace them for you unless I get called into work and then will do it next week. I have over fiftty kits in my storage area so I just need some time.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 PM
ChiefK

Thanks Ron. I'll appreciate it whenever you can find some time to do it.

Greg
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
ChiefK

The wing is mounted! Now I've got to deal with a fairly large gap between the wing and the fuselage, starting at the leading edge and getting smaller until there is no gap at the trailing edge. Probably should FG the wing center section before I do that though.

ChiefK
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
ChiefK

It's coming along.... wing center section FG'd, wing servo mount installed, wing fillet started. Control surfaces next.

Name:	Ay74552.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1846088  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Ron Stahl

Greg I didn't forget you, just been sick the last week and just got on line and thought I'd shoot you a note. I have the kit at the house and need to find something to trace it on to so I can send them to you.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 PM
ChiefK

Thanks Ron. Hope you're feeling better now. I'm kind of stuck for the moment for parts. Gonna have to order a few things... like hinges, nyrod, covering material, etc. but it's looking good, and I keep remembering how good my 70's version was.

Greg
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
ChiefK

Belated progress report. The construction phase is about done. Cowling made, wing fillits made, rough sanding done, control surfaces hinged (not glued), fuselage servo mount rails installed, engine fitted. Next, finish sanding, surface seal with finishing resin and 3/4oz FG. control linkages and paint prep for fuselage.. cloth Coverite for the wing.

ChiefK
Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM
ChiefK

Belated progress report. The construction phase is about done. Cowling made, wing fillits made, rough sanding done, control surfaces hinged (not glued), fuselage servo mount rails installed, engine fitted. Next, finish sanding, surface seal with finishing resin and 3/4oz FG. control linkages and paint prep for fuselage.. cloth Coverite for the wing.

ChiefK
Just about done with .75oz fiberglass cloth. Wing is done and fuselage is done. Need only glass the control surfaces and then we're just about ready for paint (Klass-Kote). Changed my mind about using cloth Coverite. Aiming for completion by the end of March so I can get some quality flight time on it before my first SPA contest this year.

ChiefK
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
ChiefK

ChiefK
Just about done with .75oz fiberglass cloth. Wing is done and fuselage is done. Need only glass the control surfaces and then we're just about ready for paint (Klass-Kote). Changed my mind about using cloth Coverite. Aiming for completion by the end of March so I can get some quality flight time on it before my first SPA contest this year.

ChiefK
Thinking about color schemes.... could go with something like my 1974 Troublemaker, or like my recent Deception, or my old Mach 1, or my DB, or even my Kaos 60..... I seem to be out of original ideas at the moment, but I've got it perc'n now.

Name:	Nl29016.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	1864966   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43645.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1864967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90748.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	1864968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94321.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1864969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29311.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	1864970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25888.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1864971  
Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Trisquire

The proportions on that DB look right. Clearly its the original kit, and not an extended nose version.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
ChiefK

That was an original 70's era DB kit that I built (I had two). Webra Speed - Pro-line retracts, Pro-Line radio. The Deception and the Kaos are current models, both scratch built from plans. The Mach 1 was an original 70's kit, and the Troublemaker is also an original kit that was partially built and remained incomplete for 25 years or so.. The Troublemaker is now a final sanding away from paint.

ChiefK
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
ChiefK

That was an original 70's era DB kit that I built (I had two). Webra Speed - Pro-line retracts, Pro-Line radio. The Deception and the Kaos are current models, both scratch built from plans. The Mach 1 was an original 70's kit, and the Troublemaker is also an original kit that was partially built and remained incomplete for 25 years or so.. The Troublemaker is now a final sanding away from paint.

ChiefK
Paint this weekend if the weather is OK! She should start looking good real soon.

ChiefK
Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM
ChiefK

ChiefK
Paint this weekend if the weather is OK! She should start looking good real soon.

ChiefK
White base coat is on the fuselage. Looking good!

Name:	Ge96691.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	1867982  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.