Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What are your favorite maneuver(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:22 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right after touch down, roll out and turn off the run way.

Then I can relax. and talk airplanes

Frank
Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Winged Fox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first fave is the slow horizontal roll.
My second fave is the reverse point roll.

As in any rolling maneuver, these two require a high degree of precision in coordinating rudder, elevator and aileron.
I thing they are the most graceful maneuvers when done with a high speed classic pattern aircraft.

Donald, P-7 Driver
Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the double Immelmann, the push over to inverted is awesome.
I don't like rolls very much, they taunt me and stick out their toungues.
Chris...
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I too like the rolling circles, there is just so much variation you can apply. Inside roll direction, outside direction, combination of the two, 1 roll every 90 degrees, 120, 180 and the master of all rollers, the single roll roller. Snapping rollers really wow the crowd.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:19 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't fly enough to have a favorite.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
Figure M, 1/4 rolls....when I was at my first contest 30+ years ago, I saw the Masters guys doing this maneuver and remember thinking that's the one that tells you you've arrived
Yep but with the 3/4 rolls for me (a bit later in the pattern time line).

It's complex but simple in that only one thing is (supposed to be) happening at a time so it's next to impossible to hide a mistake. The four rolls?, same rate of rotation, middle of the upline so they should be all at the same height. Stall turns? both should be at the same height. Radi? all flown at base height so they should all look the same. Difficult to fly and very easy to judge.

You can hide some rudder in the part loops, and make a small correction in the 3/4 rolls if the judges still haven't had their morning coffee, but hiding a correction in a 1/4 roll is a bit harder.

Maneuvers with integrated rolling elements is a bit like the diving, where they just judge on the splash at the end. If you hit your points then everything else "must" have been right, but rolls/point rolls/ roll combinations on straight lines look good though....
Old 11-21-2014, 07:35 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cuban 8 along with the Figure M and Vertical 8. I started practicing those two this year although I'm still a novice. They are a lot of fun.

But what about least favorite maneuvers? For me, three inside loops. They terrify me, because there is so much time to be able to get the maneuver right yet the coordination and timing always seems to be off. And it looks so easy.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Least favorite, More IMAC type sequences then pattern but I tend to have more issues with center maneuvers that have fractional vertical snap rolls. For some reason they want to throw something like a 1 3/4 negative snap roll on a center positioned humpty bump or reverse sharks tooth. If you are the least bit marginal on power there is just no way to make it look nice an symmetrical, the line is always shorter after the snap or if you make it the same length it takes twice the count. Either way the judges see it.