Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

NovaRossi S - Curve Headers Need Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Pattern One
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NovaRossi S - Curve Headers Need Info

Guys,

Several of you have asked for a NovaRossi S - Curve Header that has more of a rise so it fits our classic pattern planes better. We have an opportunity to get it done. I need to ask for your input on how much higher the centerline needs to be? Some of you are good with CAD so maybe some drawings/files to get things moving faster?

Leo
klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: NovaRossi S - Curve Headers Need Info

Hey Leo no CAD here but some pics of a header I made that worked on my GP DB. I think we need 2 or 3 different centerline risers to fit just about any design.
Due to the fact that the exhaust porton the NR is round it also works as a left/right hook header as used in Atlanta’s Aurora’s Beetle’s etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22647.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1859411  
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Pattern One

Hi Paul,

I got an update today. It looks like we can get NovaRossi to do two new S - Curve Headers. We need to select the two rise heights that will give us the best coverage. Need input from interested parties please.

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leo,

I would do a shallow 0.5" rise and a standard 1.5" rise. The 0.5" rise, like Paul mentioned, could be used in inverted installations where a left hook is also required by rotating the header about 45 degrees from centerline. The rise should provide the "step" as well as the offset to clear the nose gear.

BTW, do these headers fit SuperTigre and Rossi vintage RE engines with the round stub exhaust like the Nova's?

David
Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Pattern One

David,

Thank you for your input. The current NovaRossi headers with fit the vintage Rossi engines with the round stub. Not sure about SuperTigre, but I can try the header on one of mine and let you know.

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
doxilia

Leo,

It sounds like Paul, Matt and Don might have this all figured out. Maybe the 1" rise is more useful than the 0.5". One nice solution would be to have a header that could be used without the need to "double couple" (two lengths of silicone) in models like the Exception, Bootlegger, Escape, XLT, Brushfire and the like. They really can be built with straight shot headers at ~5-10 degree rises keeping the header enclosed in the fuse.

ORIGINAL: Pattern One

David,

Thank you for your input. The current NovaRossi headers with fit the vintage Rossi engines with the round stub. Not sure about SuperTigre, but I can try the header on one of mine and let you know.
It would be great if the headers fit on engines like the ST X-60 and X-61 TST. They both have the same stub exhaust flange and there are no headers out there that work on them. As a result, the engines sit in boxes for the most part. The silicon ring that fits the NR flange might also do the trick in coupling the header to it. I'm just not sure if it is narrow enough in diameter. The NR exhaust looks wider than the ST. I take it the Speed NR is wider yet?

I look forward to hearing on whether they fit. Thanks for checking it out.

David
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Pattern One

David,

I just tried to fit the NR header to a ST X60 S.P. R/C Bluehead. The OD of the ST exhaust stub is just a little bit too big for the header with gasket. If the gasket was thinner it would work

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 PM
doxilia

Leo,

that's great news!

So how thick is the silicon rand that goes around the exhaust stub on the NR? Does it need to be half the thickness, or so?

I'm thinking that some sort of silicon sheet of the right thickness could simply be cut in rectangular shape to circumference length and then wrapped around the stub prior to inserting the header on to it.

David
Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Pattern One

David,

Half thickness would work. Do you think using a bead of high temp RTV/Silicone with proper surface cleaning would hold up? I use a very thin film of this as a gasket between the engine and muffler in other applications and it works well.

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 PM
doxilia

Leo,

I suppose it might. I guess it just depends on how thick the RTV winds up being. My only concern would be breakdown of the "rand" of sorts making it into the header area and potentially into the engine.

David
Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Pattern One

Good News! NovaRossi Engineering confirmed today they will make a couple of prototype headers based on the input from Paul. After evaluation and comments on the prototypes they will go into production. More information as the process moves forward.

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Pattern One

I was able to pickup a bunch of new old stock Jenesco headers. The ones on the left fit OS and the ones on the right fit Rossi/ST X60. I measured the ID of the Rossi Headers. They are .947 The new NovaRossi headers are .985 I am going to have some of these machined to the larger diamter. I have multiples of some......

The packages do not list the airplanes they fit.

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21291.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1869279  
Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Leo,
The 'Z' bend headers look like they would fit the Magic or Skymaster designs with an inverted engine and the pipe mounted on the top of the fuse. If you have a 15 degree straight header for the old Rossi, I'll buy it.
Regards,
Will
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Pattern One

Hi Will,

PM sent.

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Headers