Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Cosmos project

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
engineMagnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK Cosmos project

Iwant to start a MKCosmos project, building from scratch.

But Ineed first to have the plans...

Anyone who can help me with that?!

Plans in any size would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
/Rui

Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: MK Cosmos project

I have had several inquiries in the last week for a copy of my Cosmos plans. Unfortunately I have no plans in the forseeable future to get them copied. Just another item on my long list of things to do.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

This weekend I will try and get my drawings copied... (Hopefully to a PDF)

I have some Skymaster stuff to get copied for another guy too which I've been forgetting to get done...

I will let you guys know...

Chuck
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM
engineMagnet

ORIGINAL: dhal22

I have had several inquiries in the last week for a copy of my Cosmos plans. Unfortunately I have no plans in the forseeable future to get them copied. Just another item on my long list of things to do.
Thanks for the feedback, David.It is not a big hurry for me and Iam positive Iwill get the planssooner or later.

Cheers, /Rui
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 AM
engineMagnet

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

This weekend I will try and get my drawings copied... (Hopefully to a PDF)

I have some Skymaster stuff to get copied for another guy too which I've been forgetting to get done...

I will let you guys know...

Chuck
Chuck, really good news for me! If the drawings you mentioned are the Cosmos, I will start with one beer here

Cheers /Rui
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Atlanta 60

Yes, I ment the Cosmos drawings...Sorry for the confusion!!

While I'm having stuff copied, I need to get some Skymaster stuff done for another fellow also...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I found out that Staples will copy plans. If they can put them on a disc, would that be the PDF format? I'm not savvy on this stuff.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Roary m

I found out that Staples will copy plans. If they can put them on a disc, would that be the PDF format? I'm not savvy on this stuff.
I'm not savvy on this stuff either!! But that is my understanding and what I want to have done...I want to take my paper copy to Staples and have it "digitized" and made into the PDF format (100% to scale)...I should have this done by Saturday, then we will all be experts!! I will post how the process works when I'm done...

Having plans done in the PDF format just makes sense to me...Then a person can take that PDF to their local Staples and have a paper copy(s) printed out if they desire and the information is more easily shared...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Jim Johns

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

I'm not savvy on this stuff either!! But that is my understanding and what I want to have done...I want to take my paper copy to Staples and have it "digitized" and made into the PDF format (100% to scale)...I should have this done by Saturday, then we will all be experts!! I will post how the process works when I'm done...

Having plans done in the PDF format just makes sense to me...Then a person can take that PDF to their local Staples and have a paper copy(s) printed out if they desire and the information is more easily shared...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Chuck,

I've had this done with several different plans at Kinkos. It's very easy just tell them you want to scanned full size and saved as a PDF file. I took a USB thumb drive with me for them put the files on. I them transferred them to my PC. No problemo.I'm sure Staples does approximately the same thing, but I had Kinko's printed me a copy for my own use as well. The example below is the plans that came with my glass & foam Bridi UFO kit. You'll notice the hand written notes from the original owner on the prints to remind himself that they are 1/2 size.

Jim

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jh14993.pdf (438.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 AM
Roguedog

The staples that I goto here by Norco scans full size plans for $2.99 each and will put it on your own usb drive. Don't be afraid to tell the clerk that does the scan to scan it in Black and White and at 400 dpi. The reason for black and white is that it clarifies smuges and dirty spots so your scan comes out better.

I've found that most will scan in color if you don't say to scan at black and white.If your getting a scan don't forget to bring a usb dirve as it gets expensive if you show up to get your plans scanned and have to by one at the store.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My local Staples does not have a large scale scanner. I have been using the local Fed-Ex Kinkos for years; always with excellent results and great help when needed. The advice given above is excellent: always bring a flash drive and if you aren't sure what you need, get some help and explain what you are trying to do. Bottom line is high resolution, black and white reproduction. They charge by the square foot scanned. It is very easy to scale up or down, too.
Will
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for a small company and I outsource plans to places like FedEX, Staples and such because I don't have access to a plotter.
Every reprographics center (ones that specialize in architectural plans - look up reprographics in your area) I've used knows how to do it and will do an excellent job. Kinkos (now FedEX Office) is hit and miss but I found one that knows what they are doing. I haven't had good luck with the other sources. I mostly use the Kinkos that I found because there service is outstanding. Again it varies with store to store.
If you look at their large plotters and it is a KIP, turn around and walk out. They have a heating problem and if the print is over 42" long it will start misprinting and leaving off print. OCE plotters do the best at large plans and I've printed 14' long scale plans without problems.
PDF is the smaller file but you can't import into AutoCAD (at least the older versions). You need a TIFF file for that but a PDF can be converted to a TIFF and TIFF files are very large.
Hope this helps. If you need a file converted from PDF to something else let me know and I can help.

Tim
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Roguedog

Tim,

When I have a bunch of plans to get scanned at one time I time I will take them to a Reprograrphics company as well. The default graphic file they scan into is Tiff. I asked if they used tiff for themselves for storing their scans vs pdf and he said that for black and white scans the tiff format offers the tighest compression with the ability to minipulate the scan directly.

Most of my scans from them average between 800k and 2meg at 400dpi. Staples scans everything to a server harddrive in tif format but the employees don't have access to that scan folder. They can only access that folderthrough the graphics program they use. After they open it up then they can save it to my flash drive. Only problem is the file size doubles at that point. The original scanhas a smaller footprint.

When I goto the Reprographics company I get the smaller original tiff scan. So I try to save up the plans cause the cost per scan goes down there.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I wasn't thinking thumb drive; great idea.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Atlanta 60

Thank you guys for all the helpful information!!! Now I understand the "process" and what to ask for...

Looks like David (dhal22) had the Cosmos print scanned and has it posted in his [link=http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/279971/Sq46542.pdf]Cosmos Build Thread!!![/link]...Awesome!!

Thanks Dave for the print and the thread!!! How cool!! [8D]
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM
engineMagnet

Thanks a lot, Chuck, for the information! ..And David for the plans!

During my search Icontacted or was contacted by people from Brazil to Iran,North America toEurope. Iamsure the plans will help many people to keep this frame alive!

Someone in Brazil is kindly providing me a canopy and belly for the Cosmos 60. Ido not even know if the guy wants to charge me for theshipping costs.

Awesome how good people gather around the same goal to keep these birds flying!

Cheers /Rui