Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

What company will laser cut parts for a flea fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What company will laser cut parts for a flea fly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM
YellowBlueBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What company will laser cut parts for a flea fly?

It seems like that some time ago I found a company that listed the flea fly as one of the models they laser cut. A search through several laser cutters yesterday did not find it.
I would like to do it as and electric. What motor would be best for it? I have the plans and may cut it out the old fashioned way.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:37 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact Pat Fallacaro at Lasercut USA (www.lasercutusa.com). He'll take care of you.

You can tell him that doxilia referred you to him.

As far as power, I'd look for a 15 size motor able to turn 8" props nicely on 3s. You'll want 350-400W of power for a 40-48 oz model.

David

Last edited by doxilia; 01-27-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:30 PM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

Eddie at Lazer Works also cuts a Flea Fli. http://lazer-works.com/man.html
Old 02-02-2016, 05:17 PM
YellowBlueBird

Lazer Works has one ready to go. It should be here soon. Now servos? HT225BB less than an ounce and gutsy enough. How would you do the barn door ailerons? Hinging them at the bottom with a large gap at the top just seems wrong. The wing is thick enough to hide a servo. I have two Futaba 9650s from another project that were never used. They should work in the wing. Electric retracts? How can it be made lighter?

Ahh the thrill of the game. Sometimes more fun than flying

Jerry
Old 02-02-2016, 05:39 PM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

I was confused for a minute, had to open the plans. As Phil designed it they were hinged at the top, the plan view you are looking at is the bottom with the large gap. I would probably build it as shown and put the servo (225 or 9650 are a good choice) where the bellcrank was originally. As an option you could center hinge them or convert them to strip ailerons. As far as retracts, I never saw a Flea Fli with them and I would not bother with them but I'm pretty sure there are some small electrics that would be perfect. These were pretty light already, good wood selection and careful finish are key.

Last edited by gltruett; 02-02-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
YellowBlueBird

The wing cross view is drawn upside down. Gotta look close.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 PM
YellowBlueBird

Default Parts came today from Lazer works

All looks good.
Any one interested is seeing build progress?

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0475reduced.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	2145281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0478 reduced.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	2145282  
Old 02-06-2016, 06:56 AM
YellowBlueBird

Slotted blocks for main gear, not to be found. 1/8 landing gear not to be found. Main gear of any size does not show up on any search. It looks like I will have to go back to the way we used to do it. Bend your own and break out the router table. My home made landing gear were never as precise as the ones at the hobby shop. Where is the best place to get balsa? :Maple to make the landing gear blocks?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM
doxilia

Jerry,

ill be be interested in following along - build threads are always fun!

the easiest way to produce gear blocks for the mains is to use 1/8" ply strips. Two epoxy laminated strips dimensioned per plans are strong enough for the base. You then cut a third one and cut a 1/8"
wide slot in it either side of the centerline. It can be full length in which case you end up with two strips that flank the 1/8" music wire struts or just a slot into which the strut base is inserted. If you do be latter, one end of the slot is drilled through again with 1/8" bit to pass the torque extender portion of the strut. The axles can be also bent from the same wire portion or you can use DuBro 1/8" axles which allow you to fine tune the length of the landing gear. The latter are more elegant IMO.

I hope this helps, David

PS Would you mind laying out the kit sheets and taking pictures of them? Curious what parts are included. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:44 AM
doxilia

BTW,

I think the 225BB are overkill for a small model like this. You can use true mini and micro servos like Spektrum 3000 and 4000 series or equivalent. 3K on throttle and 4K on controls.

David
Old 02-06-2016, 12:59 PM
YellowBlueBird

The pictures are already in the camera. With any luck they will be posted this evening.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:38 PM
YellowBlueBird

Default kit parts

The landing gear blocks in the middle of the picture were not part of the kit. The balsa looks good. not much more balsa needed. some sticks and triangle pieces for the fuselage top and side. There is enough stuff left over from other kits to fill in and brace.

Name:	laser parts reduced.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	666.3 KB
ID:	2145696  
Old 02-06-2016, 05:56 PM
doxilia

Originally Posted by YellowBlueBird
Lazer Works has one ready to go. It should be here soon. Now servos? HT225BB less than an ounce and gutsy enough. The wing is thick enough to hide a servo. I have two Futaba 9650s from another project that were never used. They should work in the wing.
Jerry,

at 270 squares, the 225BB's are definitely monsters. You only need 0.4 oz servos on those ailerons. I'd mount them to a small 1/16" ply plate glued to the aileron root wing rib. Just a short protruding servo arm and a short 2-56 linkage to the control. For elevator, rudder and throttle a simple triplet in the rear of the fuse wing bay. Nothing more than Spektrum 4000 class type servos for controls. Not too familiar with Futaba servos but the equivalent HiTec would be HS82/85 or even HB65's which are a great little servo. For the throttle you only need a micro 9g servo.

How would you do the barn door ailerons? Hinging them at the bottom with a large gap at the top just seems wrong.
You could reverse that and do a top mini hinge point job. Alternatively, cap the hinge line with 1/4" balsa on either side and do a more typical V-shaped aielron LE and center hinge them with CA hinges.

Electric retracts?
Sure! But it seems like you've gone for fixed gear. The E-Flite 10-25 e-tracts with 3 mm struts are perfect for this one. About 5 oz for a trike set.

How can it be made lighter?
Many ways but getting rid of that center former wood is a good start! No need for any of it. Also get rid of most of the wood on the rear FW laminate. Leave only material where the blind nuts will go and a thin rim around the edges where it glues to the sides, top and bottom. You can lighten the tail by cutting circular holes in the sheet wood and then covering. Likewise on the sides aft of the wing TE in between the formers the side material can be removed. Keep the corners round so that the wood does not split. Top too can be bored out. You can probably loose 20-25% of the weight this way. Also, make sure you use a light LiFe (or similar) 2s pack or similar. NiCd/NiMH are heavy cells. Light wheels of course. GP makes the lightest full width foam wheels while Dave Brown (Ohio Superstar) makes the lightest foam wheels for electric powered models - they're called Lectra Lites.

I hope this helps. Nice kit!

David
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM
YellowBlueBird

What size battery would it take to get reasonable flying time with an Eflite 15. I am going to go for light this time, even 5/32 landing gear will not be more than about an oz. It is not difficult to bend 1/8 main landing gear.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:40 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A buddy and I each scratch built a Flea Fli about a year ago and I am in the process of building a second one as a spare. I keep things simple and use Hitec HS81 servos in everything I fly including the Flea Fly. Plenty of power.

My first Flea Fli has a foam wing which I cut myself and my friends has a built up wing, my second one will have a built up wing as well.

I would caution you about converting to strip ailerons, there isn't much room in the fuselage for the aileron horns to clear the wing mounting block. My planes both are built as per the plans I hinged the barn door ailerons at the top with a sevo in each wing.

One other thing, I think it's a good idea to add a tail skid as I frequently scrape the tail on windy days and one time even scraped the bottom of the rudder which broke a hinge loose. Taller mains might fix the problem but more 1/8 inch wire means more drag.

Plan your firewall nose gear mounting carefully, it's pretty tight in the nose. Almost forgot, I changed the tail feathers to 3/16 balsa to save a little weight.

It is a great fling plane with an old school Enya ,19 engine. It is a very capable old style pattern plane that snaps and spins great, lands slow with a nice nose hight attitude but watch the tail!

Last edited by 049flyer; 02-07-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:50 AM
doxilia

Jerry,

probably somewhere between 2200 and 3000 mAh on 3s. How much you can put in there depends a bit on how much weight you can spare. I imagine with 270 squares you will want to be somewhere between 36 and 40 oz all up. Aim for a 32-34 oz RTF model without LiPo. That will allow you 6-8 oz of battery.

Models of that size and weight are really perfect for 1/8" struts but you can put 5/33" on mains if it gives you comfort. Better yet would be 3.5 mm struts (optionally on retracts).

David
Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 AM
YellowBlueBird

Just placed balsa order with Balsa USA. Yesterday I looked around the shop to see where the 225BB was used. Had to be somewhere since there was an empty servo box in the parts drawer. Finally found it in the wing of a Tarus. Yes it would be overkill for the Flea Fli. Most likely the two 9650 futabas that are on hand will go into the fuselage. Leaving only wind servos to be selected. .7 or .6 ounce servos from either of the three mentioned manufacturers are at the top of my list. There was one in the .3 ounce range that was tempting. Even though the specs seemed to have enough torque for the wing the gears may not have a long life span in this airplane.

Work has reared its ugly head so it will be a few days before I get back to this, maybe the balsa will be here by then.

Thanks for all the help. More will be needed later.

Jerry
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 AM
YellowBlueBird

Default order came

Due to the freezing weather in central NC I spent part of yesterday In the shop. The balsausa order came and it looks good. Those are very nice people. In my haste to place the order during my lunch break I gave the wrong street name. The right number but wrong name. When I looked over the confirming email the next morning it was clear that an error was made. The lady at Balsausa caught my order, which was already in progress and corrected the error.

This is my second attempt to get something going with RCUniverse this morning so pictures will be in the next submission.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
YellowBlueBird

The first step is to weigh the sheeting. The heaviest will be used for the bottom of the leading edge and the next for the top. The lightest will be used for the trailing edge sheeting.

Name:	laser parts reduced.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	666.3 KB
ID:	2147655   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0481 reduced.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	664.2 KB
ID:	2147656  
Old 02-16-2016, 08:47 AM
YellowBlueBird

The tri stock is being attached with the fuselage sides formed as close as possible to the curve that matches the final shape. In the past one side or the other has been stiffer and resulted in an unsymmetrical final shape. I had this problem with a Tarus and had to saw the fuselage apart down the middle and reassemble it. When the airplane was finished you could not tell anything had gone wrong.

Name:	DSC_0482 reduced.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	2147657  
Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM
YellowBlueBird

This is the resulting curve. The next step will tell if doing this helps keep the desired shape.

Name:	DSC_0483 reduced.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	592.7 KB
ID:	2147658  
Old 02-16-2016, 08:54 AM
YellowBlueBird

Time for some lamenating. This step really should have been done earlier but it seems to be ok doing it this way. The goal is to get my skill lever up to the point where I will be ready to build the King Altar kit that came from Jeff P. a few years ago. That my be my next build depending on how well I do with this one. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Name:	DSC_0484 reduced.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	671.6 KB
ID:	2147659  
Old 03-27-2016, 03:48 PM
YellowBlueBird

Without a guide to build by construction is being worked out step by step. The triangular pieces were glued to the sides first. Maybe it would have been better to glue them to the top plank after the bulkheads were in place.

notice the pencil line even with the top plank. Here is a place where the kit could be improved. The aft edge of the bulkhead must be even with the leading edge of the wing. The bulkhead is installed with a slight angle to accommodate that. The top plank should be 1/4" longer. The parts were cut to the plans. The plans leave this to the builder, the location of the bulkhead is not clearly shown on the plans.

Name:	DSC_0486 reduced.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	2154646   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0487 reduced.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	2154647  
Old 03-27-2016, 04:23 PM
YellowBlueBird

The leading edge is glued to the ribs. the sheeting will be fitted behind the leading edge. two pieces of 1/8th sheeting laminated make a good leading edge. There was enough left over from the laser cut sheets to do this.

Name:	DSC_0491 Reduced1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	606.4 KB
ID:	2154665  
Old 03-27-2016, 04:25 PM
YellowBlueBird

The 15 electric motor is a snug fit to the laser cut motor mount. It just fits.

Name:	DSC_0493 reduced.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	2154666  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.