Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Sad news

Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sad news

Just learned today of the passing of a dear friend, Steve Helms "Mr. Futaba", a great friend and iconic pattern flyer from the 1970's through the early 1990's, as well as AMA Nationals Heli Champion in, I think, 1998. Have known Steve for 47 years, starting in 1969 when he was a technician for EK Logictrol in Fort Worth, TX. I was a student at SMU in Dallas at the time, and remember many great times traveling to Benbrook Lake to fly with Steve and the Fort Worth Thunderbirds. Steve went on to work for Pro Line and Kraft, Southern R/C, and ultimately to Futaba, where he stayed until his retirement in 2013. He also started Radio South which has remained in the very capable hands of Tony Stillman for many years. Steve was known for his "Bootlegger" design and later beautiful Aurora pattern planes. Through Steve, I had the enjoyable task of editing instruction manuals for several of the early Futaba "pro" level radios, including the 9-VAP and VAPH. Also, did the Field and Bench review on the Bootlegger for Model Airplane News. Although geography always seemed to separate us, I kept in touch with Steve from time to time via phone and E-mail over the years, especially as we both fought our own battles with cancer. Steve was a great modeler and flyer, but more importantly, a genuinely great guy. We should all keep his family in our thoughts and prayers. God Speed, Steve! Forever flying!
Dewey Newbold
Old 12-14-2016, 03:06 AM
CHiatt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dewey, for posting this here. I managed to post on RCG but got run over with life yesterday and didn't make it here. Here are the details regarding Steve's memorial service.

New Hope Funeral Home, Huntsville, AJ, Saturday 12/17/2016. Visitation 12-1300. Celebration of life following at 1300. http://www.nhfh.net

We're gonna miss him...

Regards,
Cliff
Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

This is sad news, indeed. Steve was a tough competitor, but always a gentleman and friend.
In the ballistic pattern days in the south, many of us beginners relied on the guidance and help of Steve. When he was at Futaba, he often fast-tracked a radio issue when we were trying to make a national contest. I lost track of him when he moved to Alabama and our paths never crossed.
Here's an old polaroid I took at the Tangerine ('78? '79?).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SteveHelms.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2193467  
Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

R.I.P. Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01195.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	2193537  
Old 12-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

A true gentleman has left us. I met Steve when I was supporting Steve Stricker at the TOC's back in the eightes and nineties. What a huge loss to his family and friends from the RC community. He was Mr. Futaba here in the US. God speed my friend.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 PM
Jerry in SA

I'm sorry to hear this. I first met Steve at a contest in Oklahoma City in 1967 and we remained friends thereafter. We flew during the day and chased the ladies at night! I haven't seen since the Seguin Nationals but we did talk occasionally. Steve and his dad Gale were first class.

Jerry Jackson
San Antonio
Old 06-22-2021, 09:19 PM
Freddy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just remembering Steve Helms and started googling his name which took me to this thread. One of the greats of a golden era of RC pattern. I met him on a few occasions and was his regular Radio South customer. I went to watch the 83 WC in Pensacola and still remember his Aurora with adjustable pitch prop. Or was that the 99 WC also in Pensacola which I attended as a spectator as well. I recalled that he passed several years ago. Godspeed Steve!