Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Hangar One Blue Angel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 12:48 AM
grahamj4

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So today's handy hint for anyone building this kit with the supplied wood engine bearers. If you are planning to use blind nuts for the engine bolts... make sure there is space behind the bearers to put the nuts in when getting those nose blocks to fit perfectly. It just took me 45 minutes to get 2 bolts in. Perfect now just missed that one in the planning.

cheers, Graham
Old 06-15-2021, 09:46 PM
grahamj4

I started getting some colour on!! I'm deviating slightly from original schemes amd using Ultracoat pearl blue and pearl red over plain white. It doesn't show up well in photos but looks really nice on person. Also did the black for the cockpit section in Ultracoat.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:26 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

How big is this model? Looks like a gas engine up front. 15-20cc?

David
Old 06-22-2021, 11:41 AM
grahamj4

Originally Posted by doxilia
How big is this model? Looks like a gas engine up front. 15-20cc?

David
Hi, yes its the 64" model with a 15cc petrol/gas engine. I didn't use a 10cc since gas engines tend to have less power than glow and didn't want to be underpowered
Old 06-27-2021, 07:46 PM
grahamj4

Exciting stage reached today!! I'm now up to "ARF" stage. As in, everything is built and covered so now I just have to assemble her and put on the stickers hahahaha!

Hopefully this afternoon i can glue all the hinges in as well.

regards,Graham
Old 07-14-2021, 02:06 AM
grahamj4

Hi, hope you're all well. Been working on a few little odds and ends here and there. I made the three wire undercarriage legs and fitted them to the retracts, got them mounted and wires fed through the wing and the ailerons are working too. But mainly this is the first time she's been on her feet!
Old 07-17-2021, 03:56 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Coming along nicely.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:10 AM
grahamj4

Hi, hope everyone is keeping well, its tough out there! Sadly COVID delta variant has finally made its way to NZ, and we went into immediate full lockdown. While I watch all my plane buddies inline building up a storm, I work in grocery logistics so we get super busy!! But I did make time to do some building to try and retain some sanity. I've got the motor, tank, all servos. The nose leg is giving me some grief but its nearly sorted. With a battery at the trailing edge of the wing its slightly nose heavy. Looks like she'll come in right on 8lb 4oz even with the heavy petrol motor so I'm happy with that.

Stay safe everyone, Graham
Old 08-30-2021, 08:57 PM
HansenTsang

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The tuned pipe looks a bit chunky. Otherwise a fine looking airplane. 8 1/4 pound is pretty heavy for a .60 size airplane. I will be more careful during maiden.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:16 PM
grahamj4

Originally Posted by HansenTsang
The tuned pipe looks a bit chunky. Otherwise a fine looking airplane. 8 1/4 pound is pretty heavy for a .60 size airplane. I will be more careful during maiden.
Hi, yeah it looks a little chunky but us suitable for the motor. The ideal weight range depends alot on the model. I've had a few 65" (Same wingspan) warbirds at 9+ lbs and they flew great, it would however be too much for something like an Extra. From what I've read this should be in the ballpark for classic pattern.

cheers,Graham
Old 09-08-2021, 02:18 PM
grahamj4

I've test run the motor at home, and it still needs some work to get it right and its currently way too rich but still gave 9700 rpm on a 12x9 so should move along 😁
Old 09-08-2021, 02:20 PM
HansenTsang

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamj4
Hi, yeah it looks a little chunky but us suitable for the motor. The ideal weight range depends alot on the model. I've had a few 65" (Same wingspan) warbirds at 9+ lbs and they flew great, it would however be too much for something like an Extra. From what I've read this should be in the ballpark for classic pattern.

cheers,Graham
I built a Blue Angel back in the 80's. Personal taste in what is "great" flying is very different. Pattern planes are never meant to fly at high wing loading. They fly best around 25 ounce per square foot. Extra is a semi scale aerobatic plane and is subjected to the same requirements regarding wing loading. A lead sled for a pattern can only go fast and for me it is not a lot of fun to fly.

Ok don't take my word for it. Take a look at the original specs for the Blue Angel. It has 697 square inches of wing. Recommended weight is 7 1/4 pounds. That's 24 ounce per square foot wing loading. Yoshioka won the 1973 World Championship with it so it is probably not too far off. 8 1/2 pounds will bring the wing loading up to 28 ounces per square foot. The landing will be quite fast.

Last edited by HansenTsang; 09-08-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:57 AM
grahamj4

Well, she's all done now. I picked up and applied the vinyl graphics yesterday afternoon and I'm happy with the result. The motor still needs a little tuning work bit otherwise ready to fly.

its been quite an enjoyable build, so much so I'm seriously considering another classic pattern kit. I'll let you know how this one flies soon

cheers, Graham