Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Help identifying this pattern plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 11:07 AM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help identifying this pattern plane

I need help identifying this plane. It was given to me about 14 years ago by a friend who was gifted it by a mutual friend named Harry Porter. At the time I was told it was a Kaos. Not having any real interest in pattern planes but having respect for Harry I hung it up in the rafters. I was looking for a short gap project a couple of months ago and I saw this hanging. I pulled it down ,cleaned it up and freed up the eng. After replacing the receiver and the battery I looked it over real well checked C/G and took it out to the field. The engine fired up without too much trouble and ran well, put it on the runway and took off. It flew great , tracked well and did really nice slow rolls. After about 5 minutes the engine quit and the deadstick wound up a little short of the runway ripping the rt. main gear out, but no other damage. I took it home and decided to repair the gear and recover the wing and tailplanes as they were looking a little worse for wear. I looked online for information on this and found out this is not a Kaos and could not find anything that looks like this. The plane looks like a kit ,the wing was built on a jig(holes in the ribs). Has an Italian Supertigre .60 with stock muffler. If anybody could give me a clue on what this is I would appreciate it. I plan on keeping this and flying it .

Last edited by stang151; 12-05-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:57 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I've never seen a Kaos with a turtle deck.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:03 AM
stang151

True, I know that now, but as I said I never really was into this type of plane so I never took notice of what a Kaos looked like.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:55 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Kaos usually has trike gear too.

Looking at Kaos plans ( https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=kaos ) .... I could be convinced that it is some sort of a Kaos with some tweaks: change the landing gear and add turtle deck.

I'm sure more ideas will come.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:05 AM
stang151

It could be a modified Kaos, however, there are no vestiges of the main l/g blocks behind the main spar . the forward l/g blocks look like they were designed to be there. Also the fuse. top sheeting stops at the rear cockpit former. The turtle deck is made up of formers on top of the fuse. formers and stringers. The nose/eng. area is more enclosed and rounded.

Last edited by stang151; 12-08-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:22 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Major Hobbies Fantacy.

The following users liked this post:
perttime (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:38 AM
stang151

Thanks Speed, that does look like the one though mine has a fillet on the leading edge of the fin that the pictures don't show. Probably an add on. I just read a couple threads here on RCU that say that the design was bought and reproduced by Skyshark , after a couple of mods. More of a sport plane than a pattern plane. Skyshark did the mods. to get rid of flutter problems. One of the mods. was full top sheeting on the fuse which mine does not have. so it's the older Major Hobbies one. Will need to remember to take it easy when flying. Good looking airplane though.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:48 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe, but the fuselage profile is not the same especially the bottom.