Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Tiporare – Thirteen Year Build

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Great Planes Tiporare – Thirteen Year Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 03:41 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Tiporare – Thirteen Year Build

Thanks for the positive comments and I’m glad you find the build info helpful.

Cutting the notch in the front of the wing so the landing can be longer is a common thing to do. This allows all three gear struts to be longer so the aircraft has good ground clearance. The other option is to use a belly mount nose gear to move the nose gear forward under the engine but the mounting gets very complicated. My first Kwik Fli III had a belly mount and was difficult to install and remove so I went with the firewall mount on the last one.

The Tiporare is easy because it has a pretty long nose moment and the nose projects low from the front of the wing giving lots of space for the nose gear.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 AM
chocos7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a triporare whith SF60 OS and MAC pipe is the best of the best. But I have a trouble whit the landing gear. Can you tell me the size of your tires?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: chocos7

I have a triporare whith SF60 OS and MAC pipe is the best of the best. But I have a trouble whit the landing gear. Can you tell me the size of your tires?
They are pretty awesome aren’t they! The tires are 2 ¼” on all three gear and I fly only on blacktop.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

OH MY GOD.....

I almost forgot how beautiful these planes were.
You have really inspired me to get out my planes from storage.
I have been into the 30% planes, and even thought of a turbine. What was I thinking!!!

I have an Atlanta that I rescued from the trash bin. It flew into a tree and put two dents into the right wing about 3" wide and 1" back. I had it all fixed and ready to fly when I decided to change the MK retracts to Spring air. Then off to the storage. I'm getting it tomorrow!!

I got the bug now!

DM
Old 01-30-2006, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: vintageflyer

OH MY GOD.....

I almost forgot how beautiful these planes were.
You have really inspired me to get out my planes from storage.
I have been into the 30% planes, and even thought of a turbine. What was I thinking!!!

I have an Atlanta that I rescued from the trash bin. It flew into a tree and put two dents into the right wing about 3" wide and 1" back. I had it all fixed and ready to fly when I decided to change the MK retracts to Spring air. Then off to the storage. I'm getting it tomorrow!!

I got the bug now!

DM
Glad you are inspired! The Atlanta is a beautiful airship!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
coloradoz
My Feedback: (38)

What is your all-up-weight for that Tipo? I've got one that I've been flying for a long time - I've got an ST75 w/pipe in it and I've always wondered what these things were supposed to weigh. My Tipo was wood built up with foam wings.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 PM

It is 7lb 12.5oz and would have been lighter if I hadn’t repainted the fuselage and wing center section to get rid of the yellowing problem. At that weight the wing loading is 24.9oz it flies very nice.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:09 PM

Somehow the other video was lost. Here is a new unedited one of the first flight with the brand new engine running rich and trying to keep it flying slow for the video http://media.putfile.com/Tiporare-First-Flight-2005
Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 PM
vellum2
My Feedback: (2)

Hey there 8178! The video was great! Who needs a wide body when you can have these old birds to play with! Thanks for sharing.

Joe W.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:04 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8178, Enjoyed all three videos. That Irvine 53 made your Kaos a real smoker.

Ron
Old 05-02-2008, 12:49 PM
ChiefK

I'm a new member of this forum so I just saw your Tiporare 13 year build saga. I think I have you beat. I bought a W-K Hobbies glass and foam Tiporare kit over 20 years ago. It was the last kit I bought before putting my RC hobby aside until now. I've carried that kit around with me for lots of moves, and now I think I'm settled enough to resume RC. A neighbor and member of the local Sandhills Model Airplane Club (SMAC) suggested a Sig Somethin' Extra as a first project for my second RC life. Finished that last month and proved I could still get an airplane up and down in one piece. Now I want to complete the Tiporare. I had skinned the wings and stabilizer over 20 years ago. I think I have all the pieces necessary to complete the project (except for an engine - so I just ordered a new O.S. .75AX). I also have a new Spektrum DX7 radio system. What I don't have is the detail for joining the wing and stabilizer halves. Can you tell me what the wing dihedral is supposed to be and the stabilizer anhedral angle too?

By the way, the photos of your Tiporare are great. I'll see if I cann add a few photos of my previous (long ago) efforts.

Greg
(ChiefK)
Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Glad you found the thread and an interesting story. My Tiporare went through six moves in a partially completed state while we were trying to survive the down turn in the economy in the first half of the 90s. Most interesting after surviving 3 ½ year ordeal, in 1995 we ended up back in the same house where we started.

My manual shows the following:

Wing

With one panel of the wing on a flat surface there should be 3” from the flat surface to the bottom edge of the other wing panel tip.

Stab

With one panel of the stab on a flat surface there should be 4 3/8” from the flat surface to the center the other stab panel tip.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
ChiefK

My issue was starting a new career after the Air Force. Lots to learn, lots to do, and lots of responsibility. Hardly any time for personal stuff.

Thanks for the joining instructions. I couldn't get started without them. Couldn't get my photos attached to my email, but they did download into my profile. Take a look.....

Greg
Old 05-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Great bunch of aircraft. From the color scheme on the Troublemaker it looks like you might like to build a Blue Angel.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:41 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg,

If you want, I have a WK instruction manual I could copy and send it to you if you want. PM me your address and I'll get it on its way.

Mark
Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 AM
ChiefK

I'm not familiar with a "Blue Angel", other than the real ones of course. What does it look like?

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71770.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	941878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34189.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	941879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51817.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	941880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21589.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	941881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41763.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	941882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja42431.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	941883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj86657.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	941884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl40398.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	941885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn97785.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	941886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jw97328.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	941887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd26848.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	941888  
Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 AM

Like this!

Name:	Ec87549.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	941897  
Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 AM
ChiefK

You're right.... that's a very good looking airplane. Amazing how similar the paint scheme is to my 25yr old Troublemaker.

Greg
Old 08-02-2008, 06:16 PM

I received a PM about how I did the Tiporare firewall installation and Sullivan flex mount so I thought I’d post it here.

The mount wasn’t too difficult to do and I mostly just followed the instructions. The Sullivan mount has four round rubber mounts that screw into the firewall and I used blind nuts on the back side to hold them. The font end of the rubber mount has a threaded end that the bolts from the aluminum mount bolts into. I preinstalled the blind nuts on the firewall for the nose gear and test fit the retract installation before installing the firewall. The aluminum piece is held to the engine using the engine back plate bolts. I bought some longer bolts to replace the stock ones. I sanded the area of the fuselage inside with 60 grit where the firewall would attach.

After I got the plywood firewall to fit the fuse without binding on the edges with room for a ½” wide ring of fiberglass mat cloth between the edges of the plywood on the fuse walls, I put the firewall in and installed the engine using the bolts that go into the rubber mounts. It is important that the firewall fits without binding or it will distort the fuselage and you will be able to see the distortion in the final finish. Before I installed the prop and spinner, put a 1/16” plywood shim ring behind the spinner back plate and the front of the fuse. I lined up the spinner and taped it to the fuse thus holding everything in place. At that point I tacked it in with some epoxy and then after it set I removed the engine and mount to do the final glue work.

The extra plywood ring was used where the mounts screw into the firewall to provide some extra space for the fuel lines and pump clearance.

Name:	Ig12690.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1002757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18247.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1002758  
Old 08-02-2008, 07:43 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here goes... first post on RCU (I think)!

Thanks very much for the details and pictures. It sure looks like the way to cut down on vibration and the extra ring might have been something I'd forget and quite necessary for a pumped OS. I hope to start a build thread in the fall as soon as I have all the goodies together. It's kind of exciting with all the "this Tipo is older yet" stuff going on. Greg, there are two other Tipo's coming to town soon! Check the papers in early fall!

Both kits are GP; one of ~25 year vintage. I remember waiting in a hotel in Vegas for it to arrive from Tower 1983 I think... I was 16 at the time and decided to stop in Vegas for the TOC (had a hard time getting a drink of water in town but not food; there was plenty of that, especially jello!) and to finally see what Circus Circus was all about. I left there with a Tipo and a 7 channel JR radio which had more switches than I knew what to do with. I actually still have that radio which with a bit of luck from Horizon might be bumped up to 2.4 GHz! Just a few minor mods needed (including a Mode 1->2 switch). Amazing isn't it?

Anyway, this is 8178's thread so enough on reminiscing. I hope to see your Tipo thread started soon too!

Cheers, David.

P.S. Just a couple of pics to get the appetites going.

Name:	Bz77690.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1002814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31152.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1002815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96962.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1002816  
Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two more! ...can't quite leave these unposted! Unfortunately, the "red-top" won't do for the Tipo unless... mmm, maybe a custom "S" shaped header, red anodized OS pipe and tru-turn spinner. Now we've got something to plan a paint scheme on!

David.

Name:	Fd93266.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1002823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41684.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1002824  
Old 08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Two more! ...can't quite leave these unposted! Unfortunately, the "red-top" won't do for the Tipo unless... mmm, maybe a custom "S" shaped header, red anodized OS pipe and tru-turn spinner. Now we've got something to plan a paint scheme on!

David.
Good Stuff doxilia!!! Good Luck with your build and look forward to it!!

With regards to a custom header...You may know of this fellow already?? My understanding is he makes some Really Nice headers and can pretty much do whatever you want...So if you wanna give the Red Top a home..he he:
http://www.rcaerobats.net/Mueller/Mu...tomHeaders.htm

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 AM
ChiefK

Thanks for the photos... my build is moving slowly along, I'll be putting in the firewall as soon as I make up my mind on which engine to use.... I've been going back and forth between my old original Webra Speed or a new O.S. 75 AX. I recently discovered that my Webra's gaskets have disintegrated over the years. I think I've found a replacement source but now I'm wondering if there are other issues which haven't been discovered. I'm thinking it would be safer to use the OS. Bad part is that the plane won't be SPA "legal" with the .75. I love your choice in engines.... just didn't want to invest that kind of money until I see whether my "retirement" income can handle the expenses of this hobby. Note: retirement brought a huge load of other expenses as well.... relocation and a new house and all the stuff you have to spend money on with a new house, sold off my Corvette to help there, but it's not easy to give up some of the "toys".

I've recently joined the wing halves and the stabilizer halves, built up new control surfaces, set up (but not yet glued) the hinging. I've got the retract wells in, the flap/spoilers too. Next job will be getting the wing mounted. The slow pace is partially because starting from scratch after all these years, and I literally have no "stock" of bits and pieces. Everything I need I basically have to order on-line because there's no hobby shop less than a 2 hours round trip from where I live. So when I discover that I need something (like I'm one hinge short right now) I usually wait until I've thought of several more things before I make an order. But my current goal is to get this thing done by the end of next month. I'll post a few photos as soon as I take some.

Meanwhile, I've got nearly a hundred flights on my SIG Somethin' Extra, and going strong.

ChiefK
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MK retracts were the best of the best mechanical retracts. If they were still working and not in need of repair, I would have kept them. They are much lighter than any pneumatic set up.

To each his own.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-03-2008, 02:54 PM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 8178

Like this!

You really good builders really make me envious.

That is a beautiful Blue Angel. Of course, all of your work is beautiful.

My work? Well, they do fly. Sometimes crooked and wandering - but they do fly.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.