Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Phoenix 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:02 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phoenix 5

Hi guys,

Many years ago I picked up a .40 sized Sky Glas Phoenix 5 kit at a swap meet. The kit is untouched and still has the original 1976 newspaper for packing.

My question is how is the stabilizer mounted on this plane. The plans don't give a clue and there are no instructions.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix 5

ORIGINAL: dbacque

Hi guys,

Many years ago I picked up a .40 sized Sky Glas Phoenix 5 kit at a swap meet. The kit is untouched and still has the original 1976 newspaper for packing.

My question is how is the stabilizer mounted on this plane. The plans don't give a clue and there are no instructions.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

If it is like My Tiporare the plans had a template for cutting the sides of the fuselage for the stab to fit through. The stab was then glassed to the fuselage and a fillet made around the stab to cover the glass.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No template, no picture, no nothing. But I figured that the stab should be sheeted, then joined and then the fuse would have to be slotted to accept it.

A friend recommended that the stab halves be glued to the fuse without slotting, then glassed. Couldn't see that being accurate enough.

The fuse does have a raised area where the stab goes but it won't be accurate by a long shot. I guess I'll slot, shim 'till it's square and has the right incidence. Then glass.

Should be a great airplane. Just didn't want to build it wrong.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-15-2005, 06:59 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dbacque

No template, no picture, no nothing. But I figured that the stab should be sheeted, then joined and then the fuse would have to be slotted to accept it.

A friend recommended that the stab halves be glued to the fuse without slotting, then glassed. Couldn't see that being accurate enough.

The fuse does have a raised area where the stab goes but it won't be accurate by a long shot. I guess I'll slot, shim 'till it's square and has the right incidence. Then glass.

Should be a great airplane. Just didn't want to build it wrong.

Thanks,
Dave
I glassed the center section of the stab before inserting it in the fuselage.