Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Silent info wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Jon Wold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK Silent info wanted

I find there's hardly any info about the "Silent" that MK has produced, the versions are ST, 90 and 50. What are the dimensions? Who flew these, was it Naruke, or is it and original M. Kato design? I can't even find any decent pictures anywhere.
I have been offered an MK plan by a friendly gentleman in Brasil which is on the way by mail but while I'm waiting... [8D]
Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Jon Wold

Default RE: MK Silent info wanted

Well at least I found the dimensions, seems that hobbynet-jp-com has them for sale. The picture there isn't great, I'd be very grateful if anyone can point me to some pictures.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

I had the R/C City glass version a few years ago. Don't know if Mike Dunphy at Precision Aero Composites still has the molds and info about it. It was a very nice flying airplane. I remember seeing Jason Schulman flying one at a contest I attended.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon,

I've got to go back thru the "archieves" but I remember when the MK Silent was released. World Engines was the sole US distributor and the price was well over $400... I remember that shortly after the Silent came out, that the KINGBIRD was released in kit and ARC versions which were over $600 !!! This was unbelieveable for a kit in the mid 80's..... I have never seen a kit or an ARC and just learned from burtona that R/C City made a glass kit... another of those "hidden" plane kits..... I'll see if I can't find a Silent picture and post it for you.. good luck on keeping this little known classic alive..

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Guys,
R/C city didn't kit the Silent. A company called Pattern Tek kitted the Silent, Miss Beetle, Prettner's Supra-Star (maybe others, but I don't recall at the moment). Naruke flew the Silent ST at the '87 World Champs with a YS 1.20 4-stroke and rocked the pattern world. The design is not big by today's tandards and would easily be powered by a YS 110. In Fact it is smaller than the MK Topstar 110. I think Kato may have assisted with the design. Naruke had 2 Silent STs at the '89 FAI WC. His primary aircraft had tricycle gear, but his back-up was a tail-dragger. When MK released the Silent 90 (and 50) designs they were tail-draggers.
By the way, it was primarily the exchange rate which drove the prices of MK kits up so high, so fast. The prices are quite reasonable from Singapore Hobbies; especially considering the quality of the kits. Also, until about 5 years ago or so, MK kits included hardware and tank - pattern usable! The original MK Extra kit (designed by Quique Somenzini) also included retracts.
Happy Flying,
Will B.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Deadstik

Will,

Just can't get anything past you!!!... only off on the year Naruke flew it.. it was the 89 World Championships held at Fentress NAS, Va. Beach, Va..... guess how I know..???... LOL.. I was there.. part of the host club, Tidewater Radio Control... anyway...I dug up a couple of pictures along with an ad for Pattern Tek... wonder if he sold the molds or became R/C City??... Someone should look into the history of pattern.. anyway... Here are the pictures I could find Jon...not the best quality but better than nothing...good luck in your quest....hope this helps...

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30650.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	418868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28980.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	418869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70162.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	418870  
Old 03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
flywilly

Hey Dan,
I was there, too Well, for the last day of finals. We had just moved from Massachusetts to Wilmington, NC; SOOOO I couldn't resist driving up. I've got a bunch of photos from that day as well. Some impressive flying. Matt's Saphir .60 powered with a YS 1.20 was ballistic!! Very nice weather as I recall, too.
I've always wondered what happened to the Pattern Tek Molds. I think they were from California.
-Will
Old 03-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Jon Wold

Many thanks for the info guys! This answers a lot of questions [8D]
Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 PM
dolanosa

Check this out. I was working on one with a pattern flyer here in Chicago a long time ago. As all things, work and life got in the way and we never got around to finishing it. Tomorrow, I will be getting it from his attic and putting a YS 120. This is the Pattern-Tek glass version with 2 sets of wings. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the plane this year.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:21 PM
stiletto660

Open up a Model Aviation from December 1987 and look on page 96 and 98... Naruke placed 5th at the 87 worlds with it. There's also some really good pictures of the interior of the nose... he really shoe-horned that 1.20 in there tight!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:30 PM
dolanosa

ORIGINAL: stiletto660

Open up a Model Aviation from December 1987 and look on page 96 and 98... Naruke placed 5th at the 87 worlds with it. There's also some really good pictures of the interior of the nose... he really shoe-horned that 1.20 in there tight!
I just looked through the AMA archives. Talking about sweet! That is one beautiful roach. I have the fiberglass version and I'm starting a build thread on it. Basically, I can only do 1 hour a night to dedicate building so hopefully it won't take me all summer. I might do Naruke's paint scheme to add to the classic heritage.

Butch
Old 10-25-2006, 04:01 PM
flywilly

I was looking through some old issues of Model Aviation and found a ad for Pattern Tek. They were showing the Silent ST, Jeckyll and Miss Beetle kits. I had forgotten that they kitted Chip's Jeckyl. They Also kitted Pretter's Supra-Star. Wonder where those molds are now??
There was also an ad for Futaba in this issue. It showed Steve Helms with his Mystery which was designed by him, but Strongly influenced by the Silent (which he flown previously). Anybody know anything about the Mystery? Were plans ever printed?
Thanks,
Will B.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
stiletto660

I remember the pattern tek ads as well, but the company only seemed to be around for a few months then disappeared.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
CoolCanuck

don't know what happened here...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
CoolCanuck

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to clear up a couple of things.

Pattern Tek was around for more than a few months. I imported their "kits" (as well as Kato / IM stuff) into Europe in the early 90's for quitea while and visited their shop. Most of their wares where splashes... I still have quite a number of their fuselages for the (ex) Kato kits. The also had an Akiba desin, besides the Naruke model designs. Some in white gelcoat, others in clear. These had foam wings. At first the quality was OK, but later, they stiffed us really good and delivered us an entire order of crap. Live and learn.

I must say that most of the copies/splashes don't fly as well as the original Kato kits, though I did handbuild a fair number for some Finnish / Dutch / Belgian team members using selected materials.

I visited Steve Helms a number of times while he was with Futaba in CA (along with Rich Verano), as I also imported YS engines into Europe for a number of years. As Futaba was the offical YS importer into the USA at the time, I doubt that Steve flew OS during that timeframe. I know the models I saw had the YS's installed. I still have a few of them, plus the very first 60 from the early 70's, albeit, that one has a cracked crankshaft.

Steve was nice enough to give me a set of his plans for the Mystery. It is hand drawn and not copied. Maybe one of these days I'll build it, seeing that I'm now getting back into the hobby. I still have a half-built Kato Wild7 (original), that 18 yrs after being started is still straight and true. Those were the best balso kits that I can remember.

Also have a bunch of lesser known FAI F3A pattern plane plans from Europe / Japan / USA.
Come to think of it, my first one was a W.Matt Atlas that I redrew for an .049 (no retracts) shortly after it was published.Flew better than the Ace Pacer / Mach none. Wolfgang was (and is) a top notch guy and I'm very glad to have met him a number of times. I believe I also have a Rubin somwhere...
The YSengines that these guys flew (Matt, Helms, Naruke etc) were all "Specials" that produced quite a bit more power than the normal models. When Somenzini arrived on the scene near the top in 93-94, we were fortunate enough to sponsor him for a couple of seasons, where he flew a couple of our planes in various competitions and exhibitions. I also have a copy of his Desafio plans.

Anyhow, just wanted to post and clear a couple of things up.

Matt

Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
flywilly

Hi Matt,
Thanks for posting! Any possibility of you making copies of your plans (the Mystery and others)? What are the European designs?
Regards,
Will
Old 02-05-2012, 11:07 PM
CoolCanuck

Will, not at this time. I've got the odd one from Peter Wessels, Peter Erang's Matador (one of the first "larger" 2M airplanes, which came out before the rule change).
I'm toying with the idea of bringing back a few of these as well, sort of "getting back into the hobby" after many years. I've got a bunch of machines that haven't been used and really need some exercise. Will see in the next few months.

Matt
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 PM
cap102

Hey Matt,
there should be some interest in the old european designs over in europe too!!So please keep us informed about the ongoing
of your 'European projects'...
Regards from Hamburg/Europe.
Achim
Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Some nice photos from MK catalog 1993.

/Bo

Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM
jatik

Hi all,

I have one of these Pattern Tek's Miss Beetle in garage... have 2piece wing MK-mechanical rectracts and half done fuse
(got it from friend who was moving apartment)
Have to finish it some sunny day.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
flywilly

Hey Matt,
Keep us updated and post some photos! Do have plans for Wessels' Flashlight design? I attended the '89 World Championships and have photos of all the finalist's airplanes. A lot of really cool and different designs (including the two biplanes - Shulz' Shamrock and Frackowiak's Fyg Leaf).
-Will
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM
flywilly

Hey Matt,
Keep us updated and post some photos! Do have plans for Wessels' Flashlight design? I attended the '89 World Championships and have photos of all the finalist's airplanes. A lot of really cool and different designs (including the two biplanes - Shulz' Shamrock and Frackowiak's Fyg Leaf).
-Will
Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM
rodders

Hello
Just noticed this thread. If you wanted a silent ST, then Probuild has one for sale on their website at an eye watering £556.

Regards

Rodders
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
rodders

Hello
Just noticed this thread. If you wanted a silent ST, then Probuild has one (new MK kit) for sale on their website at an eye watering £556.

Regards

Rodders
Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Passport1

I realize this is an old post as well however I am at a friends house and we were talking about the old days and old planes when he mentioned he had a couple silents. One is framed up and the other is NIB.

I could not believe it I have been here 100 times and never seen them. He said thats because there in the bedroom lol. Not his bedroom, the spare bedroom. Anyhow we went and pulled them out and sure enough one framed and one in the box.

I said to him if your not goning to finish these you should offer them as I bet there are plenty of guys that would love one. The framed plane is very nice and very clean. Kinda hard to go wrong with an MK kit, and the one in the box is a work of art in its own right. I had forgotten just how nice these kits are. All the wood is pristine and there is an incredible amount of work done for you.

So pm me if interested I will connect you guys and you can go from there. Now on to the Mystery lol. I just so happen to be looking at two of them which were Steves all tucked away in the covers. Its amazing just how small these planes were back then. I believe there was only three built each one a little different. Two of them are here and the third Steve still has, unopened just the way it came to him from Nishioka 15+ years ago. Everytime it comes up when were talking planes I tell Steve "just open the box to see if its in there." He assures me it is and thats the end of it.

Anyhow Leon told me he would sell one of them if anyone is interested. I attached a couple picks even though one is kinda blurry. Its amazing how far we have come in 25 years.

C

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62893.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1727241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48424.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1727242  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.