Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Johnkpap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Does anyone have a copy of the Direct Connection Ultimate Kaos plans?

I would be hapy to cover copy and postage costs, or scan to a pdf

Thanks

Johnkpap

Old 09-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Flyitorcrashtrying

That's an awesome plane. Do you have plans?
ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

The design of this model was built around the Kaos wing.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:13 AM
ChiefK

I have an old Tower Hobbies Kaos 60 kit. This is the 61.5" wingspan, 707 sq/in. wing area, 55.5" fuselage length Kaos version. The kit is in great shape, but there are no plans and no building instructions. I do have a .pdf plan for the Great Planes version which I think is a bit smaller. I've searched for a copy of the Tower Kaos 60 plans to no avail, so I'm thinking about drawing my own wing planform.

From the Great Planes plan, it appears that there is a 1.75" leading edge sweep. Can anybody confirm that this is the correct sweep for the Tower Kaos 60? I have a very lightly used Kraft .61 waiting for this ride ( I bought this engine new, a long time ago, and it had only a flight or two when the Mach1 decided to stop flying ). I think it will be a good combination.

ChiefK
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg,

is the GP Kaos 60 plan a re-branded Bridi/RCM plan? If you can send me a copy of the PDF I might be able to be of some assistance. I have the Kaos put into CAD, albeit at a reduced 30 size scale. We could play around with it in order to generate the planform for your Tower Kaos. We might need measurements such as the wing root chord from the fuse side cutouts. Also we'll need the airfoil - my Kaos has a modified airfoil but you already have the ribs so there should be no issue there.

If you need my email address, please drop me a PM.

David.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

I have an old Tower Hobbies Kaos 60 kit. This is the 61.5" wingspan, 707 sq/in. wing area, 55.5" fuselage length Kaos version.

From the Great Planes plan, it appears that there is a 1.75" leading edge sweep.
ChiefK
Hey ChiefK,

I checked all my Kaos, Super Kaos, Utter Kaosetc.,info and all the plans I have show a straight spar all the way across the wing90 degrees from center. Just measure out 30 3/4" on each side and you'll be fine, e.g. no need to know sweep before hand.

Bryan
Old 09-23-2011, 05:39 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

For a set of plans for the Kaos, I would order a set from Bluejay who sell the Killer Chaos or the Utter Chaos, which is the same as the Kaos. The spelling was changed to keep from violating GP who took over the Bridi plans. It appears the basic difference between Killer and Utter is one is tail dragger and the other trike gear. I built both their 40 size and now have their 60 size with retracts. As everyone know it is easier to build a tail dragger with retracts than a trike gear. Looking at the pictures the Killer has a slightly longer cockpit and a 1" longer span although the wing area is the same, 700SI. Just a thought on how to solve a complex problem the simple way.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM
ChiefK

That makes sense..., and keeps it a lot simpler. BTW, I've read somewhere that changing the airfoil to a NACA 0014 improves peformance. Does anyone think it's worth the effort?

ChiefK
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
matadco

It might make some difference if you are competing. If you are just punching holes in the sky, will it be noticable? My 60 Bluejay Utter Chaos is fun but then I'm not competing and at my age, I couldn't tell the difference. It seems to do a pretty good job punching them holes in the sky.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

That makes sense..., and keeps it a lot simpler. BTW, I've read somewhere that changing the airfoil to a NACA 0014 improves peformance. Does anyone think it's worth the effort?

ChiefK
Greg,

I sent you an email reply in response to the plans with some ideas. It makes sense that all Kaos wings ought to have a root perpendicular spar arrangement so, in the absence of plans, you could just do like Bryan suggest and set your root and tip ribs at the correct distance along the spar and then fit the remaining ribs equidistant from each other along the length. That spar length might not be 30.75" though if you factor in the wing tips. Figure out the width of those tips and subtract it from the 30.75" for the correct spar length. It might just be 30" or close to it. Drawing a paper wing planform will help in assessing where the ribs go by just laying them over the drawing.

As far as using a different airfoil, that's exactly what I did in my drawings. Obviously if the wing is thinner it will increase landing and stall speed but it will also groove better and fly faster as it presents less drag. I was curious to try this out so I basically reduced the wing thickness to 85% rather than use a specific airfoil. I don't know what airfoil the original Kaos uses or is based on but no doubt thicker than NACA 0014!

You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_160720/tm.htm

Cheers, David.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
ChiefK

David,

As I actually start thinking about the process, it should be quite simple to build the Kaos 60 wing to spec. We know the spar is perpendicular to the root rib, and the LE and TE are notched, so it would be pretty difficult to screw up that build planform. On second, third, whatever thought, I think I'll trust the airfoil that Joe Bridi designed. My thought for this airplane was that it should make a good practice airplane for SPA patterns. I'm not intending to use it to simply bore holes in the sky. Will it fly exactly like my Deception? Of course not. But I expect that it's flight limitations will be more MY limitations, not the airplanes.

Meanwhile, I too have pulled out the Tipo so I'm looking at it every day. What it really needs right now is the servo mounting and pushrods for the ProLine mechanical retracts and the flaps to be set up. Once that's done, the rest is a piece of cake. I'm thinking about powering it with an O.S. 75AX... no pipe. RCU is not accepting pictures at this moment, so I'll add one later.

Greg
Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 AM
cvint

Anyone know what year Bridi came out with the Sun fli 4-20 kit ?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Iron Bottom

I know I have two of the Ultimate Kaos .40 kits. One is marked Bridi and one is marked Direct Connection, if I remember correctly. I also remember seeing the .60 size plan of the fuselage, stab and fin. There was also one wing panel, but I'm not sure if this panel is for the .60 Ultimate Kaos. I'll check. I do have the wing plan for the .60 Ultimate Kaos. These are, IMO, the best looking and flying of all the Kaos models.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Iron Bottom

Johnkpap: were you interested in the .40 or .60 size? Let me know something, and I'll see what I can do. Almost forget to add; I don't have the wing rib drawings for the .60 size. I believe everything else is there.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
EscapeFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cvint

Anyone know what year Bridi came out with the Sun fli 4-20 kit ?

Didn't like my answer in the Vintage forum...

Brian
Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 PM
ChiefK

I have two sets of original Kaos 60 ribs.... one set slightly smaller than the other (about 3/8" chord). Don't know which versions of the Kaos 60 they were intended for.

ChiefK
Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Falcon6667

I have a nib kaos from the 80s . Mesure the exat length of the rib , ill do the same an , maybe we can figure out the one that matches mine.
Falcon
Old 10-13-2011, 04:40 PM
ChiefK

OK Falcon,

These measurements are just the bare ribs, no LE or TE stock:

Set #1: Root rib: 11 1/8"; Tip rib: 7 3/8"

Set #2: Root rib: 11 5/8"; Tip rib: 7 7/8" (these ribs also have pre-located wing jig holes - set #1 does not have these)

11 ribs per panel for both sets.

I still have these because I did decide to use a NACA 0014 airfoil and I have cut a new set of ribs with this airfoil. Although I do not have a full size set of plans for this build, I do believe that the larger set (set #2) would have been the correct set for the Tower Kaos 60 kit I'm building (because they more closely match the original fuselage wing cutout profile).

ChiefK
Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Falcon6667

My kit is from the 80s, its a great planes kit , blue box with red plane on it. root rib 11 7/16,,tip rib 7 7/16,ten ribs per panel, not 11.
Falcon
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Iron Bottom

Just a heads up. The spar for the Ultimate Kaos .60 is not perpendicular to the root rib. I haven't looked at the .40 size Ultimate yet. The Utter Kaos .60 spar is perpendicular to the root rib.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM
ChiefK

My Tower Kaos 60 is definitely not an Ultimate Kaos 60. It has the classic look of all the early Kaos designs.

ChiefK
Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm building a .60 sized Kaos from plans.

Some changes made allong the way.

As I'm building I thought I'd round the nose. The fuse was a bit square so I used larger triangle stock in the fuselage so I could sand it round. Next seeing a Killer Kaos plan I went ahead an added some wing fairings.

I'm liking how it looks more and more as I'm building.

With all the rounding of areas I curved the tail vertical fin some and enlarged the skid fin some also to match. Next, not having a canopy for the Kaos I started looking around at my options. I took one of my molds for a UFO and made a fiberglass canopy from it and then glassed it onto my Kaos.

Not realizing it until now, this kaos is looking like a Dirty Bridi. Oh well I guess I could of just used one of my Dirty Bridi fiberglass fuselages. Any how here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76917.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1694647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94380.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1694648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85519.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1694649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59711.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	1694650  
Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 AM
ChiefK

Just about ready to mount the wing to the fuselage. I usually fret about this step for a while because I'd hate to get the alignment wrong if something shifted whilst I was drilling my wing bolt tap holes.

Greg
Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 PM
juggernaut47201

Greg,

I've been away for a long time and just returned to visit this thread. I realized you are looking for the Tower Kaos 60 Plans... I have the same kit... I search through my stuff and cannot find the plans, only found the instruction booklet. If you need anything out of there let me know. Good luck with your Tower Kaos 60. It is a great flying plane... I had mine for many years. I took the liberty to modify it a little when I had to strip the cover off due to age and oil soaked engine bay that was causing the covering to peel. I rotated the engine 90 degrees so the exhaust is pointing down and added to the dorsal fin and the width of the rudder. Now it can hold knife edge like a dream and with the exhaust pointing down clean up is also very easy.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 AM
ChiefK

Some good ideas there.... too late for me. I set up the engine as an upright install. Fin and rudder are stock. Based on the photo on the Tower Kaos 60 box, I cowled the engine area and rounded it. I am currently working on the last bit of construction, the belly pan and rounding the wingtips. Wing install went perfectly, so I'm feeling pretty good with it. I do plan to install a drain tube in the engine bay to prevent the fuel residue from soaking saturating that area.

I could use some advice on "finishing". I intend "iron on" for the wing, and paint for the rest of the airplane. What would be first steps with bare balsa, sealing or filling grain? Product recommendations? I plan to spray Klass-Kote for the fuselage color coat.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87640.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	1717510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86497.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	1717511  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 AM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: juggernaut47203

Greg,

I've been away for a long time and just returned to visit this thread. I realized you are looking for the Tower Kaos 60 Plans... I have the same kit... I search through my stuff and cannot find the plans, only found the instruction booklet. If you need anything out of there let me know. Good luck with your Tower Kaos 60. It is a great flying plane... I had mine for many years. I took the liberty to modify it a little when I had to strip the cover off due to age and oil soaked engine bay that was causing the covering to peel. I rotated the engine 90 degrees so the exhaust is pointing down and added to the dorsal fin and the width of the rudder. Now it can hold knife edge like a dream and with the exhaust pointing down clean up is also very easy.
Those sound like great mods. Do you have any pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.