Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Curare build

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:41 AM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Curare build

Vacuum bagging is easy, especially if you are bagging balsa skins to the cores.

If you want to bag carbon/glass, its a little more involved.

First thing is to get a pump. I use an Aerospace Composites pump. They have a few pumps. I have the Auto-Vac with adjustable pressure switch and tank.

You can check here on RCU; I know there is info in one of the forums.

It is very important to have a very flat table and very accurate cores to get good results. I have a table 3' x 7' table that is within .1 degree from end to end of being flat. I cut my own blanks on that table and then my own cores. Needless to say, I am picky.

Let me know whether you want to do balsa/foam or fiberglass/foam and I can give you more info on which you intend to use.

The best part of bagging instead of using weights is the pressure applied is uniform and way higher than you can get with weights. This means you need to use less glue which means lower finished weight.

As far and how I intend to finish the cores, I am torn. I like the light weight of plastic covering vs. fiberglass/paint, but I like the durability of paint. I still haven't decided. My original Curare back in the 70's was painted.

Jeff
Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 AM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to use the original scheme but change up the colors.

maybe something like this....

happy new years all

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81398.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	587972  
Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 AM
handglider

Hi All,

well after a long break, mostly due to other pressing 2M projects and life in general. Since I left off I painted and/or built (or partially built) 8 Black Magics. And just finished my two personal planes. I'll never say I'm a little burned out on the Magics, but I looking forward to building/painting something different !!!

I am about to resurrect this build thread. I have a partially built MAN Curare fuse - that's really modified. I may go back to the drawing boards and start over. I also have that 30 year old Super Curare fiberglass fuse to build. I am going to get Mike H. to cut some foam cores as soon as he can after Nats. In the mean time I cam going to get cracking....

I've been off the classic threads for a while, are there any new Curare developments or projects that I missed?

thanks all.....
Old 07-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Awesome Dude!!! Looking forward to it!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
handglider

Back on the Curare. Having scraped the work I did years ago now.

I have completely redrawn the original MK plans, made changes to substitute wood in US inch measurements while maintaining profiles. Again this will be a all hand cut scratch built airframe.

I built the stab this past sunday, using choice contest wood, total weight of the complete horizontal is less than 3 1/4 oz.

The wing is starting out sweet, I redrew all rib profiles, actually re-plotted all the ribs and redesigned the structure slightly for use on my old trusty adjusto-jig. super light 3/32" hand cut ribs. I like the jig as it allows me to build the wing in one piece on the jig with a really strong center section. And I plan on building at least a couple curares...

Really at this point I can have the basic wing framed in one afternoon. I have some choice sub 20 gm 3/32 sheeting wood going on the wings.

anybody have some hard maple that I could use to build the MK style beam mounts?

enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh16059.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	598.3 KB
ID:	1450769   Click image for larger version

Name:	rm36510.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	1450770  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
handglider

also if anybody out there has an old adjusto-jig or parts let me know, I need 3 more rib stations - there are a lot of ribs in this baby
Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The grandson of the original Adjusto-Jig designer has just restarted production!

If you go to RCG, you can find a thread in the Model Builders section. If you need a direct link, PM me.

Andy
Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: handglider

Back on the Curare. Having scraped the work I did years ago now.

I have completely redrawn the original MK plans, made changes to substitute wood in US inch measurements while maintaining profiles. Again this will be a all hand cut scratch built airframe.

I built the stab this past sunday, using choice contest wood, total weight of the complete horizontal is less than 3 1/4 oz.

The wing is starting out sweet, I redrew all rib profiles, actually re-plotted all the ribs and redesigned the structure slightly for use on my old trusty adjusto-jig. super light 3/32'' hand cut ribs. I like the jig as it allows me to build the wing in one piece on the jig with a really strong center section. And I plan on building at least a couple curares...

Really at this point I can have the basic wing framed in one afternoon. I have some choice sub 20 gm 3/32 sheeting wood going on the wings.

anybody have some hard maple that I could use to build the MK style beam mounts?

enjoy!

Bill Sawyer at Wind Dancer Models makes C/L Stunt kits. I bought a lot of straight and clear Rock Maple motor mount material from him. Contact him here...
Chris...
[email protected]
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grandson of the original Adjusto-Jig designer has just restarted production!

If you go to RCG, you can find a thread in the Model Builders section. If you need a direct link, PM me.

Andy
This is excellent news!!! I hope that it works out for him!

FB
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM
handglider

I've had my adjusto for abut 30 years and do really love building on it. one of my best modeling purchases...

been pulling late nights at the office and haven't touch the build in a couple days...
Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
trmcrft
My Feedback: (87)

Glad I found this thread. I was given what I think is an original Curare 40. The box is well worn so it must be old! One of those 'found in the basement corner' gems.
Hoping to make it up as a electric conversion.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
handglider

ORIGINAL: trmcrft

Glad I found this thread. I was given what I think is an original Curare 40. The box is well worn so it must be old! One of those 'found in the basement corner' gems.
Hoping to make it up as a electric conversion.

I am actually thinking about building an electric version of the 60 size as well.

and suggestions on a screaming e-power setup for a 60 size e-curare would be appreciated....

thanks all...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dean,

Ed Lyerly would be the e-Curare local expert. I believe he's had two of them. I also believe he is partial to Hacker and Pletty but has also used E-Flite outrunners. He gave me some good tips on a Tipo 120 which I have been thinking about and was planning on also doing as an electric.

You might have better luck contacting him through RCG - I think he reads that forum more often.

trmcrft,

please do show us some of that Curare 40! Would love to see the plans in particular. Is this an MK kit?

David.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:40 PM
handglider

thanks David!

Not sure but it might be another rainy weekend here in atlanta...

rain = shoptime

Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
doxilia

Any time...

looking forward to seeing the product of your shop time!

David.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
handglider

Hi David...

Yea I differently took a long but needed break, very excited about my ballistic builds, I also just picked up an original Midwest Mach1kit too...

I am going to build all my favorites in no certain order... I am also looking for building plans for a blue angel.....

I almost forgot how fun it it to make a lot of balsa dust!!!! LOL !!!!

-dean
Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
trmcrft

Hi David! How's that Tweety Bird coming along? Still have 1 kit available and it looks like one of our club members is going to frame up mine. Too many projects!

I will check out the Curare plans this evening, should be able to get them copied if there is a need.

Hi also to the other Tweety Bird guys here.

Gino
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
trmcrft

Looks like the Curare 40 kit I thought I had is a box with a few parts/pieces and the plans.
Plans say Kato Model Aircraft Co. , instructions are in US/Jap/Ger.

Oh Well !!!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Glad to see your making some dust!!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 PM
handglider

Hey Chuck,

you know what else is on my list...

hint hint.....

Old 06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: trmcrft

Hi David! How's that Tweety Bird coming along? Still have 1 kit available and it looks like one of our club members is going to frame up mine. Too many projects!

I will check out the Curare plans this evening, should be able to get them copied if there is a need.

Hi also to the other Tweety Bird guys here.

Gino
Hey Gino,

I had forgotten about your user name. The TB is unfortunately still kitted. I'm sorry to say that I've had virtually nil shop time since early May. But that should change next week. I ended up with a pair of Mystic's and another pair of Calypso's in my shop and somehow they both beckoned to me so there's one of each in a semi framed up state. The Calypso is not far from being done (it was a kit not an ARC) - a little more work on the wing. The retracts always get the best of me. I'm also waiting for the 60 E-Flites to come in before I can finish. In any event, I think the TB will see some bench time this fall.

Back to the subject in question though - the Curare. Would love a copy of those Curare 40 plans!

Sorry to hear the kit was incomplete. If you have the key parts, the rest shouldn't be too hard to replicate. What really sets the MK kits apart are the custom belt sanded blocks. The larger and more expensive the kit, the more exotic these custom blocks are. I was actually lucky to pickup a Wild 7 120 size MK kit - wow! Immaculate stuff; it almost makes one shy away from building it. In any event, if you undertake the build, a 40 size thread would be peachy - there are very few 40 size classic builds on the forum.

Well, that's enough of a detour. Looking forward to your progress Dean!

David.