Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

OS Type F Glow Plug in a 2 Stroke Engine?

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS Type F Glow Plug in a 2 Stroke Engine?

Old 01-12-2007, 02:26 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS Type F Glow Plug in a 2 Stroke Engine?

Today the glow plug in my Rossi 61 RE burned out. I had failed to bring a spare with me to the field. One of our club members said he had been using the OS F plug in his high compression 2-strokes and liked the results. I had a type F with me and made two more uneventful flights on the Rossi using this plug. You guys have any feedback using the type F in a Rossi or similar type engine?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
cllaurit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS Type F Glow Plug in a 2 Stroke Engine?

I have run type F plugs in my YS 61ar before with no issues.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:08 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

When flying glow the OS-F is the only plug used.. Just sold a card of them.. All electric now

Scott Anderson
Team Castle Creations
Team Tanicpacks.com
Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Two years ago when I was fooling with an MDS engine and trying to get it to run I switched a lot of plugs in and out in rapid succession. I found great variability in peak RPM depending on the plug. The four stroke plugs ran dependably but did not yield as high RPM.

Your mileage may vary. [8D]
Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 AM
bob27s

I typically recommend using the OS-F in some of the Jett higher timed engines. It is a very hot plug, and can accomodate a setup where an engine tends to get a fuel surge when staging on the pipe. The 4c plug is designed to accomodate a very 'wet' incoming fuel charge, and to stay lit during an exhaust stroke.

The Jett SJ-90LX and the 60LX both run very well on the OS-F plug. For most of the other sport engines it works too, but typically a standard K&B1L or HP, the Merlin Hot (supplied with the engines), or Rossi 3,4 works great.

Something to consider - the heat range for a glow plug determines the ignition timing in a 2c glow engine. That is why a variety of heat ranges are available. The size of the wire and the plug contruction also lend each type of plug to a certain level of durability.

On Rossi .60 and .61 engines, YS61, and the OS 61FSR engines I ran years past, I used K&B 1L or Rossi 4 plugs most of the time.

The only real oddball I had was my CMB60. That engine really enjoy a Rossi 6 or 7 (very cold), and REALLY ran great with an OPS300 plug.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bob27s, I have a question for discussion's sake. If I were to run the OS F plug in the Rossi 61(rear exhaust and tuned pipe), would there be a more desired fuel/methanol percentage? I am presently using Cool Power 10%. Would the FAI(no methanol) be better, 5%, or would more than 10% be better? Thanks, RH
Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
bob27s

Idunno. Might take a bit of trial and error.

Changing from a (Baseline) Rossi 4 plug on a Rossi 61 engine to the hotter 4-c plug will tend to have the same effect on midrange/transition (overly simplified here) as dropping the nitro content in the fuel.

I always ran my Rossi 60 and 61 engines on standard 15% nitro fuel. I have not experiemented with one in quite a while, and I do not recall trying FAI or 5% fuel at any time.