Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS 55 AX FOR A MACH 1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 AM
alcarafa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 55 AX FOR A MACH 1?

HI GUYS :

I'M BUILDING A MACH 1 FROM SCRATCH OUT OF THE PLANS A MEMBER OF THE FORUM SEND ME.
WANT TO USE A OS 55 SINCE I FLY AT SEA LEVEL.

HAVE ANY OF YOU TRIED OR HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE OS 55 YET?

WOULD THIS BE A GOOD ENGINE FOR THE MACH 1?

OR SHOULD I THINK ON A 4 STROKE?

YOUR COMMENTARIES WILL BE APPRECIATED.

TXS 2 ALL U.
RAFA
Old 02-15-2007, 08:18 PM
jim52519
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: OS 55 AX FOR A MACH 1?

RAFA,
I think it would be an excelent choice. I am building a Dirty Birdy and about two weeks ago I purchased this very engine. The Dirty Birdy and Mach-1 are about the same size. The original Mach-1 used a Supertiger Bluehead .60. I think the OS .55 AX, with its schnurle porting, will have more power than the Bluehead. It is also quite light.

Jim
Old 02-15-2007, 08:31 PM
SuperViking
My Feedback: (4)

I would use the Webra 55 before I would waste money on the OS, The Webra will far out last it and has gobs of power. Its also made in Europe. Example: BMW vs KIA...........ED
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SuperViking

I would use the Webra 55 before I would waste money on the OS, The Webra will far out last it and has gobs of power. Its also made in Europe. Example: BMW vs KIA...........ED

-------------

Personally, I would opt for the Webra .61 Aero or a Rossi .61 AXE. There's no replacement for displacement. Weight savings isn't that critical in a pattern plane, when compared to a 3D model. Yes, it is important, but not THAT important. Just my opinion...<G>

I bought the OS .55AX because it included a muffler - something that the .55 Webra's importers should have included. Yeah, the Webra will probably outlast the OS, but I don't fly as much as I used to and will probably never reach the end of the OS's useful flying lifespan. I hope...

Ed Cregger
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
RCBuilder42yrs

Personally, I would opt for the Webra .61 Aero or a Rossi .61 AXE.
Ed Cregger

The Mach I is, (IMHO) still one of the sleek, pretty designs to come out of the 70's. It was to me way ahead of the time when Norm Page was winning with it. Norm used the best engine he could get at that time. All .60's were hard to get back in the 70's.

Today as Ed mentioned we have Schnerle Porting which develops far more "hoss power" than our old Loop Scavaged engines. So with this said, I agree with Ed, I would go for any good .60 - .61 or up too a 90, OPS, Rossi, Jett-90L these engines can be found relatively easy either NEW or excellent USED ones and would give you what I think would be true "Ballistic" Pattern aircraft.

I guess, I classify the OS 55 as a SUPER CHARGED .46 so it just seems too small to me for an aircraft the size of a Mach I. I've recently bought an OS 55 but have yet to run it. I have it in the nose of a plane called the "SUPER AIR". I think it will be a very good performer in that aircraft (designed for .46).
Old 02-16-2007, 10:15 AM
sparky925
My Feedback: (1)

Im with RCBuilder,
the 55 will be a fine motor to fly the plane, BUT i dont think that you will be able to pull into verticle maneuvers or loops verywell..
Lots of rmp imn sure, but not eniough grunt to pull the plane through.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM
alcarafa

OK and what propeller you suggest?

I know this bird needs power to lift vertical , loops etc.

Txs for you replys.

Salud.

Rafa
Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

OK and what propeller you suggest?

I know this bird needs power to lift vertical , loops etc.

Txs for you replys.

Salud.

Rafa

---------------

As a starting point, I would try the 11x6 on the OS .55AX and an 11x7 on the larger schnuerle ported sixties. Or, if replacing mufflers with pipes, I'd increased the pitch an inch. Just as a starting point, mind you.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-27-2007, 01:42 AM
aeomaster32

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

HI GUYS :

I'M BUILDING A MACH 1 FROM SCRATCH OUT OF THE PLANS A MEMBER OF THE FORUM SEND ME.
WANT TO USE A OS 55 SINCE I FLY AT SEA LEVEL.

HAVE ANY OF YOU TRIED OR HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE OS 55 YET?

WOULD THIS BE A GOOD ENGINE FOR THE MACH 1?

OR SHOULD I THINK ON A 4 STROKE?

YOUR COMMENTARIES WILL BE APPRECIATED.

TXS 2 ALL U.
RAFA
It is quite likely you will be tail heavy, so the weight of a heavier engine would be an asset. The weight of finish can get away from you.

A Dub Jett 90 would give you all the power you needed, and is small enough to fit from what I can make out. It's expensive, though I can't think of a more suitable engine for rocket like performance. You should check carefully to see how it will fit if you are tempted.