Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

MK BEETLE 60. . . . ANY DETAILS PLEASE?

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK BEETLE 60. . . . ANY DETAILS PLEASE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:02 PM
MK KITS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK BEETLE 60. . . . ANY DETAILS PLEASE?

Hello RCU members!
First a brief bit about me seeing as this is my first post. I live in cornwall in the UK and i am an avionics engineer in 'her majestys' ROYAL NAVY and i have been for 8 years, prior to this i worked at westland helicopters. I have been flying rc fixed wing for 22years and helicopters for about 16 of these, i have flown with demonstration teams and for hobby companies in the UK and i am currently flying with the ATS Mayneline funfighter team. I have also competed in both F3A and F3C comps across our country and ultimately at the british nationals. My one consistent burning passion (may be obsession! ) is my love of pattern flying, primarily the patternships of the 70's and 80's (and some very early 90's types) Naruke, Prettner, Matt and others all gave us such elegant designs. I have always favoured MK kits and have built many over the years such as the Curare 20 & 60, skymaster 60, Aurora 60, Magic 60, Blue angel 20 & 60 all of which have flown as well as they built, they were costly when they were readily available but now they are thin on the ground the costs have escalated but i believe the unequaled quality in materials, build & flying qualities justify the cost. I have recently aquired an MK Skymaster 20 & Aurora 60 after much searching, but one design has always eluded me and This is the MK Beetle 60. I have seen very few of them and know nothing of its origins other than its an Akiba design he modelled on the Aurora 60. The Beetle is next on my list and i really would like some Background, details and pictures of this model and i hoped that The RCU fountain of knowledge could help.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:26 AM
funnflyerr
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: MK BEETLE 60. . . . ANY DETAILS PLEASE?

Hello,

Re: MK Kit -- Akiba's Beetle

Try Singapore Hobby Supplies Pte Ltd.
http://www.singahobby.com

It is listed at SGD 569.90 in their Nov 06 pricelist. Send Alex Yong an e-mail enquiry for particulars.

Cheerz,
Frank

ORIGINAL: MK KITS

Hello RCU members!
First a brief bit about me seeing as this is my first post. I live in cornwall in the UK and i am an avionics engineer in 'her majestys' ROYAL NAVY and i have been for 8 years, prior to this i worked at westland helicopters. I have been flying rc fixed wing for 22years and helicopters for about 16 of these, i have flown with demonstration teams and for hobby companies in the UK and i am currently flying with the ATS Mayneline funfighter team. I have also competed in both F3A and F3C comps across our country and ultimately at the british nationals. My one consistent burning passion (may be obsession! ) is my love of pattern flying, primarily the patternships of the 70's and 80's (and some very early 90's types) Naruke, Prettner, Matt and others all gave us such elegant designs. I have always favoured MK kits and have built many over the years such as the Curare 20 & 60, skymaster 60, Aurora 60, Magic 60, Blue angel 20 & 60 all of which have flown as well as they built, they were costly when they were readily available but now they are thin on the ground the costs have escalated but i believe the unequaled quality in materials, build & flying qualities justify the cost. I have recently aquired an MK Skymaster 20 & Aurora 60 after much searching, but one design has always eluded me and This is the MK Beetle 60. I have seen very few of them and know nothing of its origins other than its an Akiba design he modelled on the Aurora 60. The Beetle is next on my list and i really would like some Background, details and pictures of this model and i hoped that The RCU fountain of knowledge could help.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Bootalini

I asked the same question about 6 or 8 months ago with no replies.

C'mon guys, surely someone out there has info/pics whatever on this design???

Jeff
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like an Aurora; flies like an Aurora; REALLY nice kit. More wood prefabrication than the Aurora (E.G. one piece wood wing sheeting), plus all the accessories. Unfortunately this level of kit quality drove the price of MK kits way up (that, plus the value of the Yen vs the US dollar). The last of the MK 'super' kits was the Blue Angel VR-7 pre-comp which was an ARC version of the kit (like the old semi-scale pattern kits - Spinks, Laser, Chipmunk, Zlin - which could also be purchased in the ARC configuration). The MK Blue Angel VR-7 was never imported into the US as INDY R/C was gone by then.
If SIngapore hobbies has one (Miss Beetle) then I'd jump on it - they are pretty rare!
-Will B.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 PM
MK KITS

Thank you for you support and info guys, very much appreciated. I Have a kit heading my way from singapore. . . . cant wait!!! Have been watching Bootalini's build tread with great interest.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Bootalini

MK Kits, once you get the kit would you be kind enough to take a quick snapshot of the plans and any other photos that may be included with the kits and/or box photos? That would be greatly appreciated as a lot of us are wondering what this thing looks like other than box photo that Singapore Hobbies has posted (attached)!

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30944.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	650798  
Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually a photocopy of the root and tip ribs would be quite helpful. It would give others some idea of the actual profiles used in the wing.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:15 PM
MK KITS

Ok i will, i am away from 4 april till 27 april so hopefully it will arrive while i am gone and i will take and post as many photos as possible. I cannot believe that know one across the pond has not built one! some one must have? just want to see a pic other than the one on the box.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

OK guys,
I got out my Aurora plans and my Beetle kit plans to compare. Wing and stab are virtually identical (size, sweep, control surface location and size) though the Beetle may have a slightly thicker root. The airfoil appears identical. The fuselages are also VERY similar. The Aurora has a bit more profile area, especially in the tail. The Beetle stab is a bit lower and the rudder is a bit larger (same relative position and sweep). The Beetle has a plug-in stab and the hardware is included in the kit, though I think you could build it with a fixed stab. M. Kato was the co-designer for both the Aurora and the Beetle!!
I can make copies of the plans for anybody who wants them (for my cost which is about $20 including shipping tube - I hate folded plans).
By the way, anybody have a copy of the Miss Beetle plans (probably from the Pattern Tek kit). This was Akiba's 4-stroke design immediately following the Beetle and looks nothing like the Beetle. I'd love a copy if possible.
-Will B.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Bootalini

Will, I'd love a copy of the Beetle 60 plans. Anyone else?

Jeff