Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Calypso by Hanno Prettner build and cover (was instructions needed)

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Calypso by Hanno Prettner build and cover (was instructions needed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 PM
cllaurit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Calypso by Hanno Prettner build and cover (was instructions needed)

Chuck if you have the the ModelTech kit then the servos mount in the wing. The servos bays are already cut and the cores are bored out for the wires.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Ya know...I Really need to look at that thing....Soon...lol

This building from my computer chair doesn't seem to be working all that well...he he

Actually I did look at the fuse recently...But the wings are still sitting on the shelve in the shucks...Where they have been for 10 years now...

Thanks...

Chuck
Old 05-12-2007, 03:38 AM
MK KITS

Navav2002,
While i appreciate that the YS 45 is a powerful motor i think you will be disappointed with the performance of the model as the model will be to big for it and i doubt you will be able to save enough weight to compensate for it. I have had two prevous calypso's both of which were powered by OS 61 RF ( one of which was a Hanno . . . . . i only noticed a small diffrence between the standard RF-P and the Hanno anyway) and felt they were just right! the YS91 AC i saw in one while at the field a few years ago i felt was to much and he tried to fly it like a pylon racer with the subsequent expected failure in the airframe (although this could be building aswell?!). My new calypso will have a Hanno and pipe in it aswell, i have halted work as i cannot decide on a colour scheme, it will be filmed but in what colours? i hate this bit as i hate it when a new model looks crap because of the choice in colours. It requires much thought and i am looking for inspiration, good colour choice,crisp clean scheme and not to many stickers ( too many spoils it ). Decisions . . . .decisions. Any photos of the Aurora 45 coming are way?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Atlanta 60

I'm about as "Flighty" as a woman..he he...I'll change my mind 3 or 4 more times before I get this thing near complete...lol

I was just comparing the "specs" on the box/instructions of the Calypso to the Aurora45 and DashFive 45 specs I have...I noticed they are not that far off...I happen to have a good supply of 45's so I kinda figured I'd give it a shot...I saw another thread on the ModelTech Calypso where a guy said he ran a YS .45 on his *while* he sent his 60 size engine in for repairs...Or something like that anyway...He didn't really mention performance with the 45 or anything...It just seemed to be a temporary situation for him...

In that same thread some of the guys mentioned 4c engines...The "Lack of Fuselage Side Area" was mentioned and it was really an issue with the 4c apparently...I saw comments like "I felt like I was Flying the Prop"....So between that and what's been said here the 91's out for sure...

Really...The more I think about it...I'll probably just do the 61 rather than try and mess with the 45...I'll build my gear legs a bit longer as all I have are 61 Long Strokes...Prop clearance will be an issue with the LS as cllaurit mentioned...

Since you mentioned the RF-P's feeling "just right"...I think the wisest move for me will be the YS .61 and pipe...It ought to be similar to the RF-P from a performance stand point...

I'm down in the basement cleaning up as we speak...I hope to get started this afternoon...

I have a small composite job to do for a buddy at work...So I thought I'd work on the Calypso cowl and gear legs too...I also wanna make a holder for my Liquid Reservoir for one of my computers...I'll be a Graphite cutting Guru by the end of the day..he he

Thanks for the Input!!

Chuck
Old 05-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Atlanta 60

OK...Finally ready to get going...Looking over things and planning the engine/pipe instillation...I elected to use the "Factory Supplied" fiberglass cowl for the moment...I'll do the graphite gear legs and wheel pants for sure as I'm going fixed gear...Maybe I'll do the cowling later on??

My wings don't have the Aileron Servo cut-outs...I was a little surprised by that...Must have been a "Friday" kit?? Oh well...Gives me an excuse to try out my hotwire thing-a-majig which I've never used..he he

Feel's kinda good to be back building...Ok...You can laugh...So this isn't really "Building"...Maybe "Assembling"..he he

Baby Steps ya know...

I've attached a shot of the stuff and one of my helper..he he

Have Fun...

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20938.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	691449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64664.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	691450  
Old 05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Atlanta 60

Well the past Holiday weekend wasn't quite as R/C productive as I had hoped..he he

I really don't want to bore you guys with "Building an ARF" he he...But I think I'll mention a few quick observations that may be sorta interesting...

I'm not too sure how old this kit is...I'm thinkin' it's a minimum of 15years old but probably more like 20...One thing I'm noticing is how "Brittle" it has become...They sent a couple of fiberglass sheets for the pipe tunnel which are now so stiff they won't make the radius required to form the tunnel...I assume the must have used polyester resin and it has hardened over time?? I cant smell the "styrene" smell indicative of polyester though...Maybe some cheap epoxy?? I dunno

I decided to re-make the parts so I got some Kevlar and AeroPoxy going and just laid up a quick single ply sheet to cut the parts out of...The Kevlar sheet easily formed into the tunnel shape and made my life much easier...

My Fixed gear conversion has not been a big deal at all...Just a matter of adding a plywood block and some doublers to the forward fuse compartment...I got some temp gear installed just to have it rolling...I'm looking for a $50 oven for my Uni directional CF gear I wanna make...The material I have for that project is pre-preg and I need to get it to 280/300 for cure... I need a cheep oven so I can drill a hole through it and get some vaccumn run in there...I don't wanna do that to my oven upstairs..he he

I tried laying up some kevlar wheel pants out of some 1.8oz Kevlar...They came out kinda like a wet noodle...I could have gone back and either added more ply's of Kevlar, Graphite or Glass...But I decided to scrap them and just do Graphite this next go-round...

Getting back to the "Brittle" thing...I've noticed just handling the Airframe has caused some of the joints to pop loose...I'm not sure what glue they used to build this thing with...Either they didn't have enough or it's also deteriorated over time?? I've gone back and run some CA Fillets on all the interior joints and some thin CA over the exterior joints...No big deal...I think it's kinda funny...

I hate "Screws" in Aircraft...So for the tail wheel mount I elected to toss the "factory supplied" screws over my shoulder and add a small plywood block with some nut plates instead...

OK..Sorry to bore you all...I hope to get a bit accomplished this weekend if all goes well...We'll see...

Have Fun...

Chuck

Name:	Om34590.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	695232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81253.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	695233  
Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
cweimer

Default RE: Calypso by Hanno Prettner instructions needed

Can you email a set of calipso instructios to me?

Claude Weimer
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

I used a 91 saito on mine. The plane needs a light weight engine up front for the CG to work. I used a 13 inch APC prop and mowed the lawn on every take-off. The newer saito 82 would work well with this model. I changed over from retracts to fixed gear just in front of the wing former. This greatly helped the take-offs.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: cweimer

Can you email a set of calipso instructios to me?

Claude Weimer
Edited:
I found the PDF on another computer...lol...It should be in your email inbox as we speak!!

Take Care...

Chuck
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

My two cents- just put a hot 60 in him, you will find the plane more than powerful enough. Mine still has a 61 fsr piped and it took me I don't know how many flights to get my landings down; these things just sail by if you dont work in a slip. more vertical than I needed, I could finish my Immelmans as high as I wanted.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:58 PM
RED BULL

I have 90 sized four stroke, but it's a YS 110 FZ [>:], do you think the structure will handle ??? To balance the plane I was planning on a dual servo elevator installation in the back of the fuselage. Any suggestions ???
Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 PM
RED BULL

By the way, it's a Modeltech kit

regards,
Francesco
Old 08-24-2007, 11:21 PM
cllaurit

ORIGINAL: RED BULL

I have 90 sized four stroke, but it's a YS 110 FZ [>:], do you think the structure will handle ??? To balance the plane I was planning on a dual servo elevator installation in the back of the fuselage. Any suggestions ???

Way Way Way too much power, the plane is not that big and you would never get prop clearance with that motor.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Roary m

My two cents- just put a hot 60 in him, you will find the plane more than powerful enough. Mine still has a 61 fsr piped and it took me I don't know how many flights to get my landings down; these things just sail by if you dont work in a slip. more vertical than I needed, I could finish my Immelmans as high as I wanted.
Yeah, that's exactly how my plane is with the piped .61 FSR. It's slippery as heck and doesn't like to slow down without doing a light forward slip. I'm thinking of attaching small spoilers to the gear for those still days.

What prop are you using?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:35 AM
cllaurit

The Calypso likes to land with a the nose high, this helps to bleed off speed. The plane has a very forgiving wing and will slow down if you hang nose high. I also used the ailerons as spoilers to help bleed off lift, just program in about 2 degrees of up on both ailerons (you will need to dial in some elevator trim to compensate). Using both methods you can walk the plane in on the calmest days.

When I had mine I was flying it with a ST-X61RE and propped it with an 11x10.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:39 PM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

Hanno flew his with a ST .61 side exhaust and a pipe. I saw him at the 1st Pensacola Internats. Of course, I doubt that his ST was an off the shelf version. He did a horizontal square eight that I doubt that I could duplicate with a T-Square and a 90 degree triangle! He truly was a master.
Anybody got a spare kit of the Calypso or plans?
Frank

Old 08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cllaurit

The Calypso likes to land with a the nose high, this helps to bleed off speed. The plane has a very forgiving wing and will slow down if you hang nose high. I also used the ailerons as spoilers to help bleed off lift, just program in about 2 degrees of up on both ailerons (you will need to dial in some elevator trim to compensate). Using both methods you can walk the plane in on the calmest days.

When I had mine I was flying it with a ST-X61RE and propped it with an 11x10.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: somiss1

<snip>Anybody got a spare kit of the Calypso or plans?<snip>
While browsing I found this for what it's worth:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=317317
Old 08-26-2007, 08:34 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks, Chuck!
Frank
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

I have decided to part with my kit. Just have too many projects on the board and plan to return to IMAC next season. This is a NIB kit in very good condition. The canopy doesn't appear to be original however. Includes Supra retracts (not installed). I will be posting this in the for sale forums when I get the digitals taken. Price will be $225.00 including the retracts plus shipping. Don't get in the forums much anymore. Email if you have an interest. EXCAP232

ORIGINAL: somiss1

Hanno flew his with a ST .61 side exhaust and a pipe. I saw him at the 1st Pensacola Internats. Of course, I doubt that his ST was an off the shelf version. He did a horizontal square eight that I doubt that I could duplicate with a T-Square and a 90 degree triangle! He truly was a master.
Anybody got a spare kit of the Calypso or plans?
Frank

Old 10-13-2007, 10:43 AM
zeuglodon
My Feedback: (1)

pm sent
Old 11-01-2007, 01:05 PM
theredcad
My Feedback: (1)

I have always loved the look of the Calypso.I have three Modeltech kits and have just completed the first.I got them from my wife's Grand father when he passed away .He never built them because he was a true perfectionist and said they were heavy.He picked one apart and made his own using the modeltech one for a patern.Anyway for my purpose they're just fine and I will be building them for a while.

Name:	Nl29070.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	794810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29246.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	794811  
Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 AM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

My Model Tech Calypso has been flying, off and on, for ~20 years and is on its second OS FS91 (old style) with an APC 13~8 and fixed mono gear w/ outriggers. The inverted FS91 fits nicely inside the narrow stock cowl but sticks out the bottom quite a bit. Plenty of power for verticals (when new) and the prop clearance is up to the builder. Weighs around 7 1/4 pounds IIRC. MonoKoted with an orange/metallic green/white Curare like scheme on top and a yellow/r/w/b Calypso like bottom. Aileron servos in the wings, r/e/t servos in rear of wing bay with the flight pack battery in the fuse (built a little box w/ hatch) behind the trailing edge. This has become a pretty standard way for me to get CGs close without extra ballast. I'll assemble all the major parts of the airframe with engine mounted and position (with tape) the radio gear, pushrods, etc. to determine where these components need to be installed to get the CG as close as possible. I have gone as far as to finish and cover an airframe before installing the radio gear.

After flying this one, I bought another as a spare. So far haven't had to use it though. Knock on wood.