Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Lets See the Ballistic Pattern Planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:23 PM
oo shee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets See the Ballistic Pattern Planes

I've been following all the hoopla about the BPA and am amazed at all the classic planes that showed up for the contest. All of which got me to thinking, how many ballistic pattern planes are there hidden in nooks and crannies across the country. Anyhoo, straight out of the closet, here is mine (I think it can be thought of as a ballistic pattern plane).

This plane is not as well known as some of the classics. Its a 1985 vintage Equinox by Henry Piorun. Power is an O.S. Max .61VF. Wingspan is 66 inches. Wing area is 792 square inches with a wing loading of 23 oz/sq ft. The plane was originally intended for a tricycle pneumatic gear set up but when I assembled it, I couldn't locate a Rhom set up. Hence, I converted it to a fixed gear (heresy, I know).

Up until last week, the plane had never been flown. Late last week, it was flown by my son, the pattern animal. It flies great, even untrimmed.

So lets see all those forgotten ballistic pattern planes that have been gathering dust all these years.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lets See the Ballistic Pattern Planes

That Equinox is beautiful, and I am glad to see it flies as good as it looks. Usually fixed gear taildraggers are heresy, but I'll make an exception since you made the modification tastefully flow with the rest of the lines on the airplane.

I'm sure everyone has seen a picture of my model, but I will post it here anyway. This way we can have a complete "catalog" of the old models here.

It's a ZigZaw Atlanta 60. Golden Gate Hobbies imported the kit. This particular model was built in the 80's (flown hard since) and still flies beautifully with an O.S. 61 RF-P engine and tuned pipe. It has original MK retracts.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Here is Nathan's twin Altanta (not my model but I save the pics!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67738.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	742826  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Here are a few pics of my favorite BPA ship the EU1A (again not my airplanes, I wish though)

Name:	Tr50151.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	742837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98959.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	742838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34981.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	742839  
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
oo shee

Love the lines of the Atlantas. My son does too. Anyone know if the plane is still being kitted? The fruit of my loins wants an Atlanta.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Nathan King

Well, it seems everybody wants one. I've received no less than four offers to purchase mine, two of which were a good deal higher than I paid. As far as I know, there are no companies currently kitting the Atlanta. The wings are foam and the fuselage is fiberglass, so it's more than a matter of finding plans. If you want one you will have to either find a finished model for sale or find a kit, neither of which come along often. There's been some talk about a few guys getting together and making a short kit of it though.
It's really neat that your son is in the hobby with you. I wish I had somebody in my family to share the hobby with. []

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody's classics!

P.S. Mine is NOT FOR SALE!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
rcflyer1970
My Feedback: (212)

Allmost finished restoring my Phoenix, all new except wing, I hate painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, polishing.

Name:	Ig12480.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	743020  
Old 08-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

That Equinox is Beautiful!!

Ref: Atlanta

Contact Dan at Carolina Custom Aircraft...His screen name around here is "Deadstick"...He said he may do the Atlanta...I think if people hound him a bit (besides me..he he) it could possibly come to fruition??
PM or eMail him...Tell him you want an Atlanta...he he
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...=1&memid=28990

It takes allot to "Tool Up" to produce an Aircraft...But if the market is there then maybe it could happen...(He has a Master...I told him I'd build the mold...But he didn't seem interested...Oh Well)

I havn't heard about the "Short Kit"...I'd like some info if anyone would kindly pass it along to me??

I will have an Atlanta...If I have to guess at it and make my own...I was hoping to get some airfoil profiles?? But that's OK...

Here are the Drawings...More of an "Assembly" Drawing though...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4005197

No good straight-on Airfoil shots (that I would trust to scale anyhow)...You can get the general profile of the fuse from the side shot...The Head on shot is pretty sketchy as far as info but not totally useless...The Airfoil Planform is OK in the view looking down shot...So it winds up being almost enough to come up with a "loose interpretation" of an Atlanta...lol...

If I do my guess work version...I'm calling it a Hotlanta...he he...(Since I cant swear how close it will be to the original...But it will still be Hot..Or Kewl...Kewlanta just didn't sound right though??)

Yall Take Care..

Chuck

edit: I added some shots of my Atlanta and Aurora....Sorry..Tryin' to be Funny...he he

Name:	Rp42127.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	743027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94574.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	743028  
Old 08-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Here are a few pics of my favorite BPA ship the EU1A (again not my airplanes, I wish though)
Hey Razor...Have you contacted Dan @ Carolina Customs yet?? I think you would like to talk to him (Hint..Hint EU1A)

PM or eMail Him:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...=1&memid=28990

I'll let him fill you in on the "Details"

Good Luck

Chuck
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Jim Duda

How about a Junior/Mid-Size BPA classic?

MK kit, Webra Speed 35 Aero, Hatori manifold and pipe, SpringAir retracts, APC 10-5...

Name:	Yw67481.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	743172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77819.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	743173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78472.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	743174  
Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

I want to let everyone know that an Atlanta kit is in the works. I have an Atlanta that I am presently working on and using to make meauresments to make the plug for the fuselage/bellypan/wingpan. Please keep in mind that these projects don't happen overnight and that there is a lot of effort required. Carolina Custom is going to have an annoucement shortly on new kits that are going to be available plus what is in the works for production. If you are interested in an Atlanta, please send me an email at [email protected] If there is enough interest, I may put the present project on hold and move the Atlanta up. I think it is great to see this new interest in BPA and SPA aircraft. Nice to see that they are once again being appreciated for the great flying planes that they are. Much more to come....

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
[email protected]
Old 08-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Nathan King

Jim, beautiful model!! Before I realized that it was a smaller size I was floored at the weight. For a minute there I thought you had some super secret voodoo light building skills. LOL! [X(]
Dan,

It's great to hear that the Atlanta is in the works. I know it's a ton of work getting measurements and retooling everything in preparation to produce a quality kit. I personally don't care if you move the project up in priority or not, as long as it does come out eventually. We don't mean to rush you, we're just excited and don't want to see a good design go away. I know you wouldn't put out something lacking in quality. Keep up the great work, thanks.

Keep 'em coming guys!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 PM
vellum2
My Feedback: (2)

Heya Dan,
My Atlanta certainly isn't the one you are putting on hold is it! Ahem....

Feel free to post some pictures of it online here - I'm dying to see it all finished!

Joe Walker
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Joe,

Your Atlanta is NOT the project to be put on hold..LOL. yours is cruising along nicely....will give you a buzz tomorrow..

Dan
Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 PM
rainedave

This is becoming a great thread. Awesome planes!

I need some of you to post in my UFO thread and bug/threaten me to get the thing finished. Maybe with some pressure I'll set up the spray equipment this weekend and work on it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4017336/tm.htm

David
Old 08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Atlanta 60

I Love that Mini Aurora!! I have seen your photos of that in the past...That is Excellent!!

Chuck
Old 08-17-2007, 10:31 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

OK, you guys are going to force me to finish the Art Schroeder ( J&J ) Eyeball
I started in 1995. That new OS .75AX would probably be just right for this airplane.

tommy s
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 PM
oo shee

Great to see the Phoenix being restored. Nice job on the restoration. I doubt if I would have the patience to do the same. Its has a real classic look to it. What kind of power does it have and what is the all up weight, wingspan, and wing area? Very nice looking.

All right guys, lets finish up those projects and post em up here. There has got to be a lot of these birds out there. Lets see em.