Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Deception..No spar? Seems strange.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:05 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deception..No spar? Seems strange.

Getting info together to start a great planes Deception and we noticed the plans do not show any kind of center spar, nor do the building instructions mention one. Instructions just say glue the roots together and glass the center wing. Is this normal? Is is OK to go without even though we only plan on glassing the center section (going to use Monokote covering, not glass and paint)?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Deception..No spar? Seems strange.

Not familiar with the Aircraft..Foam wings I'm assuming...

I was faced with a similar situation with an Aircraft I'm working on...I found some "Obscure" notation in a magazine review of this aircraft which stated something like.."We recommend you use dihedral brace as the center section may not be strong enough without one"...lol

I *Personally" would forgo the drawings/instructions and put a spar in there...

It very well may be strong enough without one?? But I see allot more aircraft *With* spars than without....Hummmmm...

Just my .02

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM
dave_anderson

Seems a bit strange.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it will be plenty strong enough, 6oz cloth most of the older pattern planes didnt have a spar of course some of the new one dont either
Old 09-02-2007, 07:59 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never had a wing fail
Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

6oz cloth; 6" wide I've built more than 25 foam wings that way - NEVER failed. Now I prefer 1/4 x 1/2" spar 18" long bonded to the wingskin and 2 pieces of 2oz cloth (6" and 4" wide) - lighter, still no failures and this is on 1-piece, 2meter wings.
my 2 cents
Old 09-03-2007, 01:30 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, thats the way you do it. No spar needed.

Not only that, I've known of some modelers who carry along a Zona saw, 6 0z. cloth, and 5 minute epoxy the first fifty flights or so to fine tune the dihedral

AT THE FIELD!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
dave_anderson

ORIGINAL: grotto2

Yep, thats the way you do it. No spar needed.

Not only that, I've known of some modelers who carry along a Zona saw, 6 0z. cloth, and 5 minute epoxy the first fifty flights or so to fine tune the dihedral

AT THE FIELD!
That is so freakin cool! However, I'm not that motivated. We elected to cut the dihedral measurement in half and I'll mix out the rest.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Dave,
I built a bunch of Deceptions; 2 from the Bridi kit and the rest from scratch/MAN plans. The MAN plans showed less dihedral than the kit (1" vs 1.5" I think, but I'm not 100% sure - I'd have to go dig out both sets of plans). I always used 1" of dihedral and a full size rudder (unlike he original which only had the Rudder from the top of the fuselage up to the top of the fin). I do not remember any roll coupling with rudder input with this configuration. Good Luck - great flying airplane!
-Will B.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of my .60 Peppermint Patties were butt-glued and 4" wide 6 oz. cloth, no spars, and none ever failed. What happens is the wing skin takes the compression and tension loads, the Fiberglass cloth merely bonds the left and right skins as one. If you sheeted the wing straight across, you wouldn't even need the glass cloth.

Early on, when I was covering with 0.6 oz cloth and fiberglass resin, I thought that 3 layers of the lightweight cloth would hold. It did for the first 3 or 4 flights, then the wing folded during an outside loop.