Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ed Kazmirski's Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: eness76-RCU

I apologize in advance if the answer to my question is earlier in the thread, but I couldn't find it. Can anybody tell me what magazine and year the attached scan came from? Thanks,
Eric
The changes mentioned in this drawing were the ones Ed first envisioned as desirable when proportional was coming out. Ed apparently put all of these ideas into his "Japanese Taurus" the "stubby one" that he flew early in 1964. He had a theory that you'd be applying constant reverse pressure on the stick in a turn to compensate for the plane's tendency to want to roll back to level caused by the extra dihedral.

Apparently in the end he didn't like the results as well because this was the last time Ed flew a Taurus like this. He later converted the original Taurus II to accept the Bosch airfoil, and moved the wing forward one inch, giving the modified T-II the LONGEST tail moment of the series, (not shorter). This was the plane he flew for the rest of his R/C career.

I guess what I am saying here is that unless you have a particular desire to "see what it's like", I'd advise against spending the time and trouble building a theory of how the Taurus should fly on proportional that Ed himself didn't stick with in the long term. I think his Japanese Taurus was an experiment he DID NOT WANT in the end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41052.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1583435  
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody tell me what magazine and year the attached scan came from? Thanks,
Eric,

The scan shown is from RCM June/July 1964.

Ray
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 AM
eness76-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
Eric
Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RFJ

Bit more Super Delphin info. Dennis Hammant (UK) also flew a large model called King Spectre at the !967 WCs.

Ray
Hi,
More info about the 2 meter pattern planes from the past:

I found an old book, Radio Control Manual 2 1967 where it was a color photo (onfront cover) of Fritz Bosch Super Delphin I believe - compare:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10211305
I scanned the article and front coverabout World Championship 1967 where Bosch used his Super Delphin and it was interesting to read why he did not place so good in that WC - he had radio interference and got almost no points in first flight but rest of flights gave high points. Image he had flown without trouble in first round and scored about same as his 2nd and 3rd flights he would probably placed second place with his Super Delphin.

/Bo

Name:	Tr49185.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1583968   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45933.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	1583969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94618.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1583970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52381.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	1583971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58174.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	1583972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91966.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	1583973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np19795.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	1583974  
Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
pimmnz

Super Delphin was a popular model back then if you look carefully at the front cover you will see that the Swiss team was using them and a young fella from Lichtenstein at his first World Champs. The biggest thing that this model is famous for is that it lead to Super Star, then Atlas, Arrow etc. Still, I wouldn't mind finding drawings for it...
Evan.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Aurora_60

sorry to ask something off subjct, but I believe you're referring to Wolfgang Matt. Was wondering if you know how his son is doing in the comps.

DM
Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Aurora_60

ORIGINAL: Aurora_60

sorry to ask something off subjct, but I believe you're referring to Wolfgang Matt. Was wondering if you know how his son is doing in the comps.

DM
[X(][X(][X(]This thread is 91 pages?!! It should be published into a small book!
Thanks for everyones efforts on a very interesting read.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 AM
pimmnz

Aurora60; Type 'matt-rc.li' into your browser. They do a page in English just for us...
Evan.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 AM
martenson

Hi guy's

Does any one make a kit or intend to make a kit of the Taurus or Taurus II, sorry I have not read the whole thread.

You are talking about an old school pattern DVD, were can I find it.

Good luck with your work

Joakim
Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff and Home and Hobby Solutions makes an excellent Taurus kit. Do as google search and he"ll pop up.

FB
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 AM
bem

Hi,

You can also find Top Flite Taurus kits on ebay and here at RCU sometimes - problem is they are rare and tend to be expensive.
It is Charles Winter that makes the DVD from golden era pattern: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10357064
It is Detroit Invitationals 1963, -64 and -65, A tribute to Tom Brett (WC F3A/RC1 1962).
I have the DVD and it is great.

/Bo
Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM
kingaltair

RAY

I hope you realize the trouble you caused

Here this neat little blue envelope with "Airmail" (with a "Royal Mail" stamp on it), and a 67-something stamp on it comes in the mail today. Who is it addressed to...ME. I said to myself, YESSS this is from Ray; what a great guy he is.

I open the envelope, and guess what I see...a smaller white envelope that says:

TO: MRS KINGALTAIR

Right about now I'm beginning to think that things are not going to end well. I look in the envelope and there is an American $20.00 bill!!![X(]

Have you ever seen two grown adults fighting over a small white envelope yelling at each other "It's mine...no it's not it's mine...you don't even KNOW Ray...well it's got my name on it so it's mine...no it isn't as I put my thumb over the "Mrs" part...yes it is...finally she says "GIVE IT HERE" !!!

We are just about to go out to dinner...we agreed to use it there. We will give a small ice tea toast to you

Thanks Ray from Mrs. King Altair

You're probably just getting back at me for posting your picture.
Duane
Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM
pimmnz

Think I'll take a bit of care over the address...
Evan.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 AM
RFJ

We are just about to go out to dinner...we agreed to use it there
Sounds like a good compromise Duane - hope you both enjoy your meal and maybe have a glass or two of Bushmills on me.

As to the photograph - perhaps I'll have my "important friends" discuss that with you

Ray
Old 04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
kingaltair

I have a couple pictures to add tonight.

First, I had a custom muffler made for the vintage Supertigre .56, (Ed had already drilled the holes in the engine mount for a ST .56. The muffler fits perfectly, couldn't as for more.

Following advice from here on the thread, I ordered a Perry carburator for the ST .56, and it's in place. I'm planning to take the engine over to the field for some test run-ins...let's hope for the best. BTW...the prop on the engine is an original Kazmirski prop from his estate. It has an unusual shape, and may have been modified by hand, I'm not sure.

The other pictures show the new rudder for the Taurus IIA The original Taurus II was used as the model for it, but the sizes were a little different, so I had to adapt it...on this Taurus II the rudder is a little taller, not by much. You can see where Ed had sewn on the elevators, and had already started drilling the holes for the rubber stitching, but it looks like that's where the work ended some 45+ years ago. I am not going to sew the rest of the control surfaces on, but will leave all of Ed's "markings" from his work.

The balsa had aged so beautifully that I felt it was a shame to begin adding primer, but that's what you have to do to finish her. You can see the lines for the Kaz paint scheme. Something interesting I noticed about his paint schemes. Just like the planes themselves, it appears each paint scheme was unique for that plane. Ed could have made them much mor similar if he had wanted to. They are sililar, but no attempt was made to make them exact. If I can find the picture of the stubby Japanes Taurus II, you'll see that has a similar, but different paint scheme as well.

In the background you can see the original, thick TII wing, and the current TII wing below.

Duane

Name:	Vs55726.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1587279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78108.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1587280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43227.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1587281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33174.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1587282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58992.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1587283  
Old 04-02-2011, 03:03 AM
latinRClover

I think, whether that prop is modified or not, that mounted the right way should give better results and will not allow Ed turn in his grave....
Old 04-02-2011, 05:37 AM
RFJ

I think Duane is secretly building a model of Ed's pusher design

Ray
Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM
pimmnz

That would certainly slow it down some...
Evan.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: latinRClover

I think, whether that prop is modified or not, that mounted the right way should give better results and will not allow Ed turn in his grave....
I am so glad you folks are paying attention...you all passed the test.

There was no writing on this prop, and it IS quite possible it was turned around...more than just possible I guess. I noticed it after the picture was taken, but decided I wouldn't retake the pictures just to keep the critics off my back...I was wrong...I guess I should have. Actually I didn't think anyone would notice.

The propeller has been reversed, so you can all relax and Ed can stay where he is.

Duane
Old 04-05-2011, 02:45 PM
kingaltair

Enough berating the curly-haired American guy about the way the prop was installed...(I would have figured it out eventually), we have some new and cool stuff to talk about. Remember our "buddy" Chuck Noble? Anyone who remembers Chuck must be a faithful reader who has followed this thread from the beginning, (we first meet Chuck in post #97 on page 4). Amazing as it may sound after over two years, I heard from Chuck last night:

Hi Duane,
Came across a small photo album of Ed Kazmirski's . All prints are black and white, all measuring 8-1/2 x 6 1/2", some smaller. Most I believe are stamped on back "The Evening Standard" April 1962. I thought I would send you this one to share on the blog.
More to come later.
Regards,
Chuck

Well, I looked at the two pictures Chuck sent me, (we'll talk about only one of them now). It was a photo of Ed and the Taurus from a really "cool" angle. To me it looks like a professional photo of Ed looking down on the Taurus, with another gent in the background. Now remember what Ed was doing back in April 1962. He spent the majority of the month in Africa, (Rhodesia, or South Africa). On a hunch, I sent the picture to Dennis Hunt, (remember him from the supposedly fabricated account of Dennis's recollections earlier in the thread according to our Netherlands friend). Well today I received these comments from Dennis about the identity of the other man in the picture. The timeline still fits:

Hi Duane,

What a wonderful find. That Photo was probably taken during the Rhodesian tour. The other person in the pic is Monte Malherbe who was responsible for bringing Radio Control to Southern Africa. Monte was the owner of Jix Hobby Shop in Pretoria and a dear friend of mine. During WW!! he was fighter pilot in the South African Air Force and saw action in Italy. Unfortunately he died when making a forced landing in a field close to Durban.
Thank you for sharing this with me. It brings back many fond memories of those early days.
Hope to see you in Knoxville in May.
Dennis

Isn't it amazing that after all this time we are still able to add to the collection of photos that documents Ed's R/C career. You never know what might come. As more photos come I'll share those as well.

All the best Kaz fans

Name:	Ay74251.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1589777  
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
RFJ

Ah yes, Monte Malherbe. Member of the South African team at the 1962 & 1963 WCs and their Team Manager at the 1965 event. Flew a Stormer in '62 and a Taurus in '63. Placed 6th and 16th respectively.

Ray

Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
kingaltair

Back when the Simla article came out, I sent the PDF prepared by Cees to Gaye Kazmirki, as I did with the article in August.

This afternoon I was surprised by a phone call from Gaye, who appreciated the attention her father was receiving in the articles. I told her about this thread, so there is a chance some day that Gaye may post something here.

I DID learn the answer to a question that has been a mystery since March of 2009...the identity of the young man posing with Ed's Simla. We know that Ed had only one child...Gaye, so that was not his son. We referred to the young man as Ed's "nephew", and started calling those pictures the "nephew pictures". Well I finally found out that Gaye HAS NO IDEA just WHO the young man is. We may need to refer to these pictures in the future as the "kid at the field" pictures.

Gaye also said she'd go through photos, and those having to do with Ed's R/C career she will scan and send to me to possibly post.

That would be great....you never know what may surface, (or not). We'll see.

Duane

Name:	Rp44091.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1590813  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM
EscapeFlyer

Duane,

The history, people (drama), and events involved with this project have been AMAZING! It has been a hoot for sure. Have you received any thoughts or interest in putting it into a documentary film? After all, you have three crazy amazing stories here. You have the Taurus itself (and his Simla), the families, protagonists, and the antagonists.

Thank you for your efforts in all of this.

Brian

p.s. Actually, It's 4 stories. You can't forget Mr. Kazmurski himself!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 AM
RFJ

putting it into a documentary film
"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" You can decide who is which and which is who

Ray
Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: RFJ

putting it into a documentary film
''The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'' You can decide who is which and which is who

Ray
So are you saying that Burkhard is the "good", Evan is "bad", and YOU are the "ugly"??? Where does that leave Cees and me? (just kidding)

I agree with "Ilikebipes" on this thread. It is quite a study, no doubt the best and most factual discussion of Ed, his R/C careeer, and his designs that you'll find anywhere. Anything we've gathered about Ed and his designs has found its way into this forum, and as the past few days has shown, we're still adding more. Scattered among all the "rubble" of speculation and guesses are a great many wonderful "gems" of hard facts and documentation...the reader just has to slog through it all and separate the "wheat from the chaff". There are over 90 pages of "wheat and chaff" to "sift" through. When I read the early days of the thread I've realized just how much my ideas have changed over time as new evidence has come to light. So many different people have contributed to it, some of them like auction house owner Chuck Noble, have had nothing to do with R/C, but they have no doubt added so much to our understanding with their contributions.

Seriously, the only person who has demonstrated an interest in the Taurus and Silma projects all along, and could possibly put together a documentary about them would be our friend Chuck Winter, and it would be a monumental job...there is so much material, a person would have to have a real "love" for the project. I am not a videographer, but I certainly would want to help in any way I could. I have already sent Chuck high resolution scans of the Kazmirski Simla photos.

I suppose a video could be made based on all the pictures in this thread, with some narration text to go with it, and maybe a couple interviews included.

Chuck, I hope you would feel "led" to do such a project. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.