Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Deception Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Deception Rescue

I never thought of sticking candles in. I just grease some bolts lightly and thread them in (blind nuts). The thing I like about my way is that I can take them all the way down flush, and they won't be in my way.

Andy
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM
jmb52760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've done it that way too. I just thought I'd try a new tip. It works fine, the candles just twist right out.

Anything to avoid the nightmare scenario of having the screw bind in the nut and turn the blind nut. Especially on this aircraft (with the triangle stock covering the blind nuts).
Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
jmb52760

Perfect flying weather today:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60484.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1153279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24023.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1153280  
Old 03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
jmb52760

64 degrees with a light wind. Crosswind only made it more challenging. First few flights were with "break-in" mixture and not too exciting. Switched to 30% nitro for the last flight. Wow!

Video to come.

Name:	Mk27492.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1153299  
Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a light wind in kansas? that's rare. enjoy!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
jmb52760

Yep, the day started breezy and cold, and turned into one of the most beautiful flying days in quite a while.

Now I have to start practicing. I intend to compete in IMAC beginner this year with this bird. They will let you use a non-scale plane in beginner only. If only we had SPA in Wichita.......
Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 PM
jmb52760

Sorry, double post.

What's up with RCU? Very SLOW and clunky.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mitch,

congrats on your maiden!

I've had little opportunity to hang out on RCU lately so I didn't get a chance to post til now. I'm glad all went well and you're happy with the performance. If the 4 stroke isn't pulling its weight perhaps you ought to consider one of these!

I saw it on the auction site and with the fondness I've grown to have for the ST blue heads, I had to pick it up. I now have an X25, S40 and X60 blue heads. I was going to put a Hanno into a D60 but maybe I'll just put this one in instead (when the time comes...).

I hope you enjoy her!

Best, David.

Mmm... no picture upload at the moment
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM
jmb52760

Hi David,

I was a little disappointed with the Magnum for the first four flights. She was doing better and better as I leaned out from a rich mixture, but still, not "classic pattern" performance.

Then a buddy showed up with some 30% nitro. Amazing difference. It's too bad the guy with the video camera left before the fun began, I want to post a video with the 30%. Next flying date is Thursday after work.

I don't have much experience with four strokes. It's kinda scary to hear the prop going super-sonic. I hope I'm not running her too hard, but I did get a charge out of unlimited vertical on such a heavy (relatively) aircraft.

I'm really happy that I chose this aircraft. I will be looking for another kit, hopefully in better shape than this one. If I can't get a kit, I'll just scratch one from the plans and drawings that I have made (I'll need cores). I would also like to do a MUCH better finish on the next one.

Mitch
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Mitch,

Nice looking Deception. Congrats on the maiden too... You've got to love the lines of a classic Bridi design. I've been thinking about getting a Deception 60 to put my Rossi Fire 61 in and you've given me more food for thought...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
doxilia

David,

I agree, the Deception has got some sweet lines. I like the round belly on it but..., it is not a Bridi design. Jim Kimbro designed it and it was kitted by Joe. I believe that Joe's designs - the Escape and XLT - were influenced by Jim's earlier design.

The Rossi FIRE would make a nice powerplant for it! I'm considering scratching one either with my Hanno, a YS-AR or with my recently acquired vintage ST X60 blue head!

Any votes?

Cheers, David.

Name:	Jh15455.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1156203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24475.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	1156204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87085.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1156205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75942.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1156206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37129.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1156207  
Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 PM
jmb52760

David and David,

I agree, the Deception has classic looks. I can't wait to build another one with "lessons learned". I'm sure this one will serve me well.

I will definitely go with the 2 stroke, trike gear, and fiberglass/paint next time. I do, however, really like the way this one looks on the ground as a taildragger. To each his own......

btw, I forgot to mention, this aircraft balances perfectly with no added balance weight. Rock solid in the air with plenty of control power. I'm really happy about this as it happened by pure "engineering judgement". I never made a calculation or weighed anything. It's fun to see if you can get it right by using experience and intuition.

Another note: The jury is still out, but the "flat top" dihedral seems to be wrong. She rolls to the canopy in knife edge. Thankfully, I have the option of fixing this with mixing.

Mitch

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
doxilia

I wonder how much exposed landing gear has an effect on knife edge push/pull?

David.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmb52760

David and David,

I agree, the Deception has classic looks. I can't wait to build another one with "lessons learned". I'm sure this one will serve me well.

I will definitely go with the 2 stroke, trike gear, and fiberglass/paint next time. I do, however, really like the way this one looks on the ground as a taildragger. To each his own......

btw, I forgot to mention, this aircraft balances perfectly with no added balance weight. Rock solid in the air with plenty of control power. I'm really happy about this as it happened by pure "engineering judgement". I never made a calculation or weighed anything. It's fun to see if you can get it right by using experience and intuition.

Another note: The jury is still out, but the "flat top" dihedral seems to be wrong. She rolls to the canopy in knife edge. Thankfully, I have the option of fixing this with mixing.

Mitch

if i had asked you a question at the same time you could have answered 3 davids at once[X(].
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 PM
doxilia

And we're not even getting warmed up! There's got to be at least a dozen on this forum!

...David.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 PM
jmb52760

ORIGINAL: doxilia

I wonder how much exposed landing gear has an effect on knife edge push/pull?

David.

I was wondering that too, that would explain a tendency to roll to the canopy in knife edge. These landing gear are somewhat shaped as well, making them even more capable of creating a yawing/rolling moment with yaw angle. hmmmmm.......
Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 PM
jmb52760

Maybe I need one of those weird fins that stick straight up, out of the canopy. Nah, that would be too much of an insult to classic pattern. I'll just stick with mixing.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: jmb52760

Maybe I need one of those weird fins that stick straight up, out of the canopy. Nah, that would be too much of an insult to classic pattern. I'll just stick with mixing.
Yea,

a canalizer. That would be an interesting mix of old and new!

Mitch, maybe its time to put some mains retracts into your bird - not a complicated retrofit if using pneumatics.

David.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 PM
jmb52760

No, no, no, no............. I'm done and ready to fly this one for the season.

I'm not fixing anything that isn't broken at this point. I REALLY like the way she flies, I'll just play with the mix. I'll just keep these things in mind for the next build.

Mitch
Old 03-13-2009, 07:08 AM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: doxilia

David,

I like the round belly on it but..., it is not a Bridi design. Jim Kimbro designed it and it was kitted by Joe.

The Rossi FIRE would make a nice powerplant for it! I'm considering scratching one either with my Hanno, a YS-AR or with my recently acquired vintage ST X60 blue head!

Any votes?

Cheers, David.
Hey David,

Thanks for the correction. I'm glad someone on this site is keeping me straight.... Since I'm no scratch builder, I guess I'll have to try and find a kit the hard way.. As far as your engine choices. I only wish I had a variety like that to choose from.

As far as engines go,
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
doxilia

David,

glad to be of service

A couple of Bridi Deception kits have been up for auction recently. Unfortunately, I let them both slip away (maybe you have one of them!?) but scratching a Deception is not hard - in some respects its among the easier designs to build from plans. I built a mini Deception, 40" span, from plans and it was relatively straight forward. A build thread is here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8196707/tm.htm

Also, Scott of RCfoamy has both the wing/stab cores and the FG canopy (nice if you're going to use a FIRE engine) which simplify things. He also cuts retract wells and sheets the cores for you if you like. This takes care of the bulk of the tricky stuff.

Other than that, you'd only need to cut a pair of good fuse sides which is simplified by tracing the plans in CAD or simply cutting one set of printed plans up. It may be possible to have a wood short kit made if you're interested. All we'd have to buy is stick and sheet balsa if that.

If it's just me who has interest in building one, then I'd probably scratch the entire thing but if you and Mitch (and others) are interested in a kit of sorts, then it might be worth looking into. I'd suspect they'd come to about $200 which is about what the kit goes for on auction.

The nice thing about a new kit is that the wood and cores would be fresh. As I'm building a couple of 25 year old GP Tipo's, I'm discovering that it makes a difference! Everything just sands and shapes much more easily with some moisture in the materials.

What do you guys think?

David.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 PM
jmb52760

David O.,

I would be interested in a short kit (.60 size).

I am going to disappear from RCU starting tomorrow morning until the 23rd. My son Steven and I are going backpacking in the Gila (New Mexico). So instead of staring at my trout-shaped aircraft, I'll be catching and consuming the real thing.

When I get back I would like to firm this up. It would be cool if we could get others on-board and maybe save a buck or two.

Mitch

(Looking down on the fuselage it is very similar in shape to a trout. This is one reason I like the classic pattern aircraft, they are not constrained to look like a full-scale aircraft that is constrained to hold a human and have a lycoming up front)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 PM
doxilia

Mitch,

I guess its time to look into it then. I'm going to ask around a bit for a quote. Ideally we'd have the plans traced in CAD. Maybe we can get David Wood on board as I recall that he was interested in a classic for his RE Webra - he's a CAD master. There wouldn't be too much work to do as it is basically fuse stuff. Aside from the formers, most of this plane goes together with sheet balsa and some triangle stock.

Have a good hike with your son! New Mexico... brings back memories of Taos when I was a kid - nice skiing this time of year!

David.