Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Kaos - I catching the bug!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
smacfe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kaos - I catching the bug!

This Kaos is my 9th since my first in 1971 and was built from plans. The fuse/tail is Valspar primer and clear with Jet Glo color. All single stage two part polyurethane and buffed out fully. The pictures really don't show how nicely the paint job came out. Although I dislike plastic film greatly, the wing is Ultracote. No effort was made to keep the weight down, and balanced, the a.u.w. is 6lbs 2oz. I prefer the Kaos to weigh about 6 1/2 lbs so I might put on Kraft wheels which would would look cool and add about 3 1/2 oz. The motor is an OS .61SF with the L carb, muffler is from Dave Shadel at Performance Specialties and the tank is a Tettra 14oz bladder tank. I built this motor from a set of really nice parts and it is a monster - really too much for this airplane. I might put in a nice OS 60FSR which would be a better match for a plane this weight. The modifications to the airframe include wider ailerons, and deepening the fuse by about 1/2" to allow the fillets to fair into the underside of the wing perfectly, and to aid in k.e. This plane does an effortless slow roll from a speck on each horizon! I also moved the firewall back 1/4" and extended the fuse sides forward 3/8" to allow for the longer OS over the original K&B. The deeper fuse with digital servos and a really tight rudder linkage eliminate all tail wiggle as well.

I have not built a wooden airplane in a long time as I build mostly composite pylon racers, so it was really a lot of fun to take a step back. It is also great to have a Kaos to fly again as it is still the greatest R.C. airplane ever designed. I think I am catching the bug to build and fly some of these older pattern airplanes, so the next one on the boards is an Arrow, followed by a Trion and then another woodie, Steve Helm's Checkmate. All are planes I have always really wanted to build, and have been sitting patiently in my kit stash.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45350.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1125889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70141.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1125890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71171.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1125891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42561.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1125892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88518.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1125893  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:22 PM
DwightMann

Default RE: New Kaos - I catching the bug!

Nice looking plane. I agree with you regarding the weight. I have had a few Koas and they all feel very light
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Beautifully finished Kaos. Mine weighs in at 6.5 lbs all up with ST .61, and tricycle gear retracts, aileron servos on each wing.
I may copy your finish scheme if you don't mind for my next one.

Crashlander
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Caught the bug...!

Super looking airplane! (Seriously, very clean and shiny...not just pandering)

About the Trion...would you consider trading the Trion for another blast from the past or cash?

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Srvice
Seeking additional classic pattern models...save the Buy Bay fees...call me for an instant answer for your special OPS .61, Trion, Atlas, Curare wood or glass kit.

Have an interest in a glass Tiporare or UFO...NIB box Rossi .61's, Rossi headers, Rossi Pipe, Rossi mixture carbs, Rossi parts...?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
smacfe

Rusty,
Thanks for the compliment. I can understand you wanting the Trion kit. It is a good airplane and a fabulous kit. These kits were way ahead of their time and the glass work is unsurpassed. It is a kit I have to build though, and I promise to do it justice. I have an unopened, in-the-bag set of Rhom-Airs for it as well.
scott
Scott
Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
jim52519
My Feedback: (3)

Scott,
Great looking Kaos! I also dislike film coverings, and would rather paint. I have had 3 Kaos's. Two Bridi Super Kaos's w/ST .60 Blueheads in the 70,s. I recently had a Tower Kaos with a Thunder Tiger .46. Seeing your plane makes me want to build one. My Tower Kaos did a terrible knife edge. It pulled to the belly something terrible. I tried a few things to trim it out but had no success. Possible it could be trimmed out but I was unable to get a decent knife edge without holding some elevator. Does your plane show this tendency? From your description it sounds like it does not.

Jim
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

scott, those kraft wheels could have been exchanged for a painted wing and you could have avoided plastic film altogether. [X(]
Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 AM
smacfe

There is no pitch coupling in knife edge, only some roll coupling to rudder. It takes 8% aileron mixing in the same direction to hold k.e., ie. left rudder needs 8% left aileron and right/right. It probably needs a touch more dihedral. Had I known it would come out light, I would have definately used Coverall and paint on the wing. The last one I did like that was when I was a kid and it weighed 7 1/2 lbs, although it did have Rhom-Airs. It still flew well but I was concerned about weight on this one. If I didn't have so much other building to do I would love to make a foam wing and glass and paint it.
Scott
Old 02-06-2009, 06:22 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

at least you have that option still (2nd wing).
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 AM
TROUBLED 61sf
My Feedback: (1)

YOU HAVE BUILT YOU A FINE BRID I KNOW THE KOAS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLANES TO FLY WITH OR WITHOUT RETRACTS THEY ARE A GREAT BLAST FROM THE PAST THEY SHOULD BE IN EVERY PATTERN FLYERS HANGER