Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

got plans for the Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got plans for the Solution

Just a quick note and question. I went to the Lebanon (PA) swap meet a coupla weeks ago. I bought a bunch of plans for cheap. I bought a set of plans makred simply "Solution". I thought they were for a 40 sized Weeks Solution. I just looked at them and they are absolutely a pattern plane. I have never seen this one though. Just looking for any thoughts, info ect on this one. I was going to do up a Daddy Rabbit. Maybe I should give this one a try instead. Come on guys hows about some info on this one, Please.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
fox59

Default RE: got plans for the Solution

the solution was the last in a series of pattern designs by Hal DeBolt, and published in August 1978 MA. I built one many years ago and still have it. Quite a good flying plane. Mine is powerd by a OS VF 46 rear exhaust. I fly it single stick with a Micro Pro 8000 with AM Rx and Rom Air retracts. It can be built quite light and with the generous wing area will slow down nicely for landings. I recall that it behaves like a P-51 on takeoff - need lots of rudder at low speeds and high power for take off. The VF 46 was a good choice as it could take a tuned pipe and cranked out plenty of power, though I think it would fly just fine with a side exhaust engine - just not quite as clean looking. If I had the time I would go through my bird and get out to a proper model runway and fly it once again. Not in the cards for now. If I were to build another one I would make it with a foam wing, delete the anhedral stab and not bother with a tuned pipe. I squared off the wing and stab tips for lower drag.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get his Interceptors, Encore and the Solution confused. Maybe someone can list them chronologically.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75137.gif
Views:	37
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1169520  
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 AM
RFJ

David,

Interceptor 2 1964 MAN
Interceptor 5 1966 AAM
Encore 1967 RCM
Solution 1978 MA

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59758.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1169673  
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 PM
phread59

How does it fly in comparison to say a Daddy Rabbit or a Chaos? These are the 2 I was intending to choose from. If the solution is as good or better maybe I'll start with that instead. I just want a good flying plane from wood. I do not have the equipment to cut foam cores. Besides the older designs just appeal to me. Just want to build that first pattern plane. It will go onto the docket after the next project I have planned. Basicly I'm looking to build an all wood old school pattern plane. I want to learn how to build and trim up a model correctly. Part of my attempt to learn to build and fly with more purpose. Just boring holes in the sky is not for me. I like my flying to be for a purpose. So any suggestions on a first plane to build would be apppreciated.

Mark Shuman