Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

F-22 Raptor's - In Flight to Langley AFB

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

F-22 Raptor's - In Flight to Langley AFB

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-22 Raptor's - In Flight to Langley AFB

I had some help to get these pictures in the right format to post. Received several message's, thanks to all. Thanks to Ed Lylerly, this may work. Enjoy. I wonder how long it will take for some politician to sell this all to China or Russia. I understand that China already has the plans for our Virginia class submarine's.

Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42336.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1230754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28130.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1230755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68043.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1230756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83624.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1230757  
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: F-22 Raptor's - In Flight to Langley AFB

Wicked!

check out the ailerons on pic #2 - they are both deflected upward! I believe the F22 is thrust vectoring - correct?

David.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
crankpin

Hey David. We could get some answer's from Atlanta 60, he knows the Raptor well. The Raptor can take out several enemy fighter's before they even know it is tracking them.

Crank
Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this thread doesn't have nuch to do with classic pattern, other than flight.
But please don't be offended by its placement. I'm sure Crankpin just posted here because these are his friends and he's just sharing.
The Rapter is thrust vectoring, but check out the F35 lightning...Now THAT's Vectoring..haha
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-_Gj.../f35_hovering/

This is just a short vid. Less than a minute long.

I think Atlanta60 knows more about the 22 than he is allowed to say. Man I wish I could pick his brain. Curiosity killed the cat.

David
Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that can become an issue. all of my friends are here but some items aren't classic pattern oriented. i say post them anyway, it gives me another reason to stay here in this forum. worst case, we'll get over it. that or Cees will point out where you're wrong.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Right On Crank!! Some great photo's indeed!!

Those photo's are of ship 042 which was one of the first F-22's sporting the "FF" tail code (FF = First Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, VA)...If I remember correctly this was the first delivery of an aircraft to the 27th fighter squadron while they were first "standing up"...There is also another F-22 squadron at Langley which is the 94th fighter squadron called the Spads (Hat in the Ring)...I was up there working on their jets late last year...Pretty Kewl!! Both squadrons are fully "stood up" now and have all their jets...

Langley is also the home of the Raptor Demo Team...One of the highlights of my time spent up at Langley was watching the Demo Team practice!! I could pick out the Demo pretty easy as he would rattle the hanger with AB's...he he...I love it!!

The photo with "both ailerons up" is the F-22 with speed brakes deployed....the Ailerons both go up, Flaperons both go down and Rudders both go out when the speed brake is selected...The speed brakes are also deployed in the picture with the vorticies which is pretty kewl...

Yes the F-22 does have thrust vectoring....Nothing like the B varient of the JSF though...

I also agree with the others: This is the only forum I really visit and I feel this is where my friends are...I've been known to make questionable posts which may have "belonged" somewhere else...Engine questions, battery questions, radio questions and so on....But I feel this is where my buddies hang out...There are a whole lot of fellows in this forum I respect, trust and value their opinion...

Thanks for the post Crank...

Chuck

edit: Here is one of my favorite Raptor shots...Pilot= Paul "Max" Moga, Raptor Demo Team Pilot at an airshow at Point Mugu, CA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76837.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1230998  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 PM
crankpin

Thanks for the info Chuck. My original mail with the picture's has the spec's of what this plane can do, which you already know. The piece about how the system works, keeping the pilot from blacking out when pulling G's is fascinating.

Vince
Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

I also agree with the others: This is the only forum I really visit and I feel this is where my friends are...I've been known to make questionable posts which may have ''belonged'' somewhere else...Engine questions, battery questions, radio questions and so on....But I feel this is where my buddies hang out...There are a whole lot of fellows in this forum I respect, trust and value their opinion...

Thanks for the post Crank...

Chuck
Thanks for the post Crank.
-Robert
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree. Why not allow ourselves to take a little "detour" once in a while and post other interesting stuff? After all, passionate people can have other interests!

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

Right On Crank!! Some great photo's indeed!!

The photo with ''both ailerons up'' is the F-22 with speed brakes deployed....the Ailerons both go up, Flaperons both go down and Rudders both go out when the speed brake is selected...The speed brakes are also deployed in the picture with the vorticies which is pretty kewl...

Chuck
Chuck,

thanks for all the details. I had noticed the two rudders folding out too! That is a cool system. I guess saying "spiffy hydraulics" would be an understatement... The thust vectoring must be heavily mixed in the speed break mode in order to keep the aircraft stable at low Mach nos.

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have followed my first calling and become an aeronautical engineer. I guess I stayed in the same realm and became an "ocean engineer". Fluid dynamics is a cool field.

David.