Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

An MK 20 Size Conservation Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:18 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: An MK 20 Size Conservation Project

Gents,

thanks for your valuable posts and ongoing interest.

Viktor, I haven't forgotten you - I'm just getting there a little more slowly as is customary at this time of year. I've also been a little under the weather for the last week which has unfortunately kept me out of the shop.

To stay occupied, I've continued work on the Skymaster. The fuse is still just roughed in and I need to pour over it dimensionally but an imperial version is starting to come together. Also, the main caveat in most of these designs are the custom 150cc (5 oz) MK tanks which are not readily available. Our next best choice is a Sullivan 6 oz round tank so I've been working on the fuses and formers (after the Skymaster will be the Magic - the two kits unavailable to me. The Magic is quite a bit simpler by design and will be kept as a SE engine configuration unlike it's larger brethren). BTW, the formers as drawn at the moment are per the original - they will be changed to reflect the modifications to the fuse internals.

The wing and stab plan are in better shape - I'd say almost ready to go. The whole mess just needs to come together to insure it will, at least, bolt together! Still, lots more work on the fuse plan to be done.

Merry Xmas and Happy holidays to all my pattern fellas and to the MK fans of this thread!

David.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62993.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1340857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc90970.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1340858  
Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
alcarafa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Job David, keep it up !!!
And Merry Christmas to you and family, best wishes for all !!!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 AM
stg61abc

Hello folks, I´m trying to obtain the plans from the Curare 20 and Curare 40 from MK, for a looong time..
I have some pattern plans, so I will be glad to exchange them by the plans above.
Thanks in Advance
Carlo
Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 PM
doxilia

Carlo,

sent you a PM.

David.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 PM
doxilia

While working on the Skymaster (SM) fuse plan, I decided to switch gears and look into the viability of a concealed pipe in the Magic (MA). While the fuse would require a few changes from the existing plan, the lines remain unaltered and it appears that it would be possible. This would yield a reproduction model that is similar to its larger siblings, the 40 and 60 which both had concealed pipes. The main question is, whether the fuse is too short to provide sufficient cooling.

I haven't figured out whether the canopy section should simply be a sheet of folded styrene, as in the MK 60 size, or whether it should be a continuation of the FG tunnel which replaces the front built up turtle deck up to former 9. The former option is easier to build but the latter might be more elegant and nicer to finish. It would be more akin to the design of the SM which integrates canopy and pipe tunnel in the FG top. It would also simplify the inlet of cooling air as a lip would simply be molded into the glass fuse top.

In any event, one thing that stood out is that the S-shape of the header would be different between the SM and MA.

The plan is still rough but it's a start. I'm going to finish up the Magic flying surfaces (SM's are done) and then concentrate on the SM and MA fuse sheets as they are more labor intensive.

Any comments or suggestions on changes or improvements are welcome.

Happy new year to all!

David.

Name:	Nl29476.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1345447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74521.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1345448  
Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 AM
Roguedog

Hey all.

I just happen to have several Sky Master 25 Hatori Headers I'm willing to part with for anyone interested.
Check 320477383807 you know where for one.

Bryan
Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
doxilia

Bryan,

most definitely! Please set a couple aside for me if you have them. I'll do the auction site thing after dinner if that's your preference.

I'll also reply to your PM then.

Now, all I'd need to is locate an OS 25 VF Hatori pipe. Anyone have one they would part with?

Thanks, David.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Viktor D

I had a longer break - but catch a cold so hat a few hours to finish the nose.
It will be build in 3D so the parts should fit excellent together:

Name:	Lj23229.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1386651  
Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: Viktor D

I had a longer break - but catch a cold so hat a few hours to finish the nose.
It will be build in 3D so the parts should fit excellent together:
Viktor,

That is really cool!

What software are you using.

I'm importingmy plans into Acad with raster design. But your 3d view is way better than what I have been able to get.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:40 AM
doxilia

Viktor,

excellent work! We look forward to your progress. I'm trying to finish a build before end of month but am running out of time. In any event, I'll soon get back to the Skymaster.

Brian,

I believe Viktor uses a tool from a company that used to be called Alias/Wavefront (joint company too at that point I guess). Like most other companies in design, they were eventually bought by Autodesk (who actually have big offices in town due to companies such as the once Discreet and Softimage - two greats in their day). It may be called Alias Studio. What's more amazing is what Viktor is able to do with it!

David.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Viktor D

i´m very limited in time recently so the there is´nt much progress on my currare cad project. Anyway, I started making the wing. The section is not a simple NACA 4 digit! You have to shift he max thickness a bit to get Prettners original section.

I shot two kits at the german ebay which I would like to add to the conservation project. It´s Wolfgangs Matt Joker 25 and Prettners SupraStar25 (paid 200eur for the SS it makes about 260$ better not to think about it). Together with the SupraFly Plan and Davids Mystic 30 the Prettner 20 sized range should be almost complete. What´s really interessting are the different sections the SS25 and Joker are using. I remember that in late 80´s many pattern models used NACA 5digit laminar sections (for what reason ever) and if I remember right - also Wortmann sections. Wortmann section were widely used in full scale gliders - he was professor on the Stuttgart Institute of Gas Dynamics and the unquestionable guru (together with Eppler) for glider sections in the 60 and 70ies.

Its really exiting to see the different philosophy of model design on the two kits. There is unquestionable a great difference in quality. You really see the attention that was given to details on the MK kits. The selected and preshaped wood the full balsa construction. But I also like the simplicity of the Prettner designs.

Hope to have some time to draw them for the restoration project...

Name:	Xv64300.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1411588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52204.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1411589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24814.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1411590  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:30 AM
CaptainBlueSky

Hallo Viktor,

very interesting work you are doing.

Did you get an old catalog in the MK box? Please keep in mind I am always looking for more informations to complete my small [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9401552/tm.htm]MARUTAKA and MK Kits listing[/link].

The pattern part of MK kits is not included yet on RCU because I placed it in the Scale section but I might add it some time later as the site where I first put the complete list has now been closed.

Al
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
CaptainBlueSky

Done! [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9636215/tm.htm]MK pattern KITS LISTING[/link]
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
doxilia

Viktor,

welcome back! It's refreshing to emerge from under the mouse... Actually, I expect to be put under in about a couple of weeks for 15 days or so. Akin to going to the moon, ... I'm in training.

Glad you had a chance to crack the new jewels and thanks for posting the info on them. I have to agree, the OK kits are like heavy artillery; the MK kits more akin to a precision electron scanning microscope. Well, maybe I exaggerate, wood is wood.

David.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
doxilia

Al,

thanks for your MK thread posting. What information were you interested in from the MK catalog? I have a pattern flyer (pamphlet) which is fairly complete. You will find photos posted of the various models discussed in this thread a couple of pages back.

David.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Viktor D

some minor progress:

I have drawn the flying surfaces. It´s a modified NACA 4 digit section, with the max. thickness moved a bid backwards.

Name:	Qo41101.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1413843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87001.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1413844  
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
doxilia

Top notch Viktor!

I received your email and have been meaning to reply. Actually, I wanted to see if you might be available for a Skype chat - perhaps this weekend? I'm available in the evenings.

Keep up the good work!

David.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
CaptainBlueSky

Sorry for delay, we had some holidays.

Thank you for the pictures, David.

I wil be glad to include these in the list.
Your printed informations would be helpful also if you can mail a scan, just to make sure I put every model in the good sequence as it was produced, with some verified technical specifications and sometimes a picture and a link to a build thread when available

As I do like very much Mk kits and models for their top quality and great interest, I truly appreciate your conservation project

Al
Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Viktor D

Enya has a 32 sized rear exhaust engine in their webshop. I found the CL version only but there is hope that there will be a nice engine available for all the little Magics, Auroras, Skymasters... we love so much.

http://www.enya-engine.com/store/ind...roducts_id=462
Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend of mine has the remains of the Curare 20, would you be willing to send me your cad files?
I have experience using cad so opening them wont be a problem.
Thanks
Jesse
[email protected]
Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dox do you have the plans for the curare 40 scanned? if so I would appreciate it if you would please email me them.
Thank you
Jesse
[email protected]
Old 04-12-2010, 12:06 AM
doxilia

Jesse,

thanks for your interest in this project.

As you'll have read in the thread, there is no discussion or focus on the medium (40) and large (60) MK size models. This is an effort to conserve the 20 size kits. Regarding the 20 size Curare, Viktor is currently developing the CAD plans for the production of an imperial laser cut version of the model. This will be done, in due course, for all the 20 size MK kits (there are 8).

In an effort to support this project and further the work being done, no plans will be posted or offered when completed. The amount of work involved is considerable and the best way to thank the volunteer work of those directly involved in the project is to bring those efforts to fruition. The ultimate goal is to make imperial version kits available to anyone interested. These kits naturally will come with the plans to build them.

As a suggestion, your friend could use the MK plans that came with his kit. Repairs to these designs, particularly if one was the builder, are relatively easy to do with those plans.

Thanks, David.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Viktor D

Some recent progress ...
Old 04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Viktor D

had problems with the images..

Name:	Mk26009.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1422205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61889.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1422206  
Old 04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Viktor D

in 2d

David do yu have a technical drawing of the small e-flite retract gear?

Name:	Hf99828.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1422211  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.