Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My Clunk Don't Clunk !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Clunk Don't Clunk !!

Yup, you got it right.

Anybody know where I can get some fuel line that is flexible enough to use for real ?
I have access to six good LHS in this area plus all the online stores. Including Central, Don's and Tower.
None seem to have anything but the sillycone and in colors yet.

I have been in rc since we used the Perfect CL Wedge tank and the Debolt swing brass tanks.. Then came the clunk tank by Pappy DeBolt. A milestone in modeling history.
I have Hayes, Sullivan, DuBro, Kraft, Hobby Lobby and others and all used to work fine, but now the new fuel line just will not follow.

I know how a clunk tank is supposed to work, so am not interested in the story that on a extended down line you don't need to maintain fuel flow.

The fuel line in the tanks are too STIFF and will not allow the clunk to follow the fuel.
I have even made my own clunks with up to 1 1/2 X the weight of the orginial clunks.. still it will not let the clunk follow the fuel.
My engines do not run with the fuel pick up out of the fuel. Once they suck air and the air hits the carb. they quit Stone, Cold, Dead !

Anybody know....?? I may even go back to surgical latex and that use to tie knots in itself to keep up. Sure you had to change it two or three times a summer. That was not as big a problem as this.

Am rebuilding my Pattern Hanger.... .60 Dirty Birdy, .60 Deception and my .90 Patriot (1st Version)

Doug
Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Clunk Don't Clunk !!

You could add a UAT in your tank, or if you have any roon for it, A small hopper tank is nice. I prefer the hopper tanks myself.

You can try these guys. There are awesome for customer service, and if they don't have it, they will make it!
http://www.hygenic.com/Default.aspx

If you tell them what you need, They will know what to send you. Just make sure you know the OD and ID of what your looking for. Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

DM
Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug

I fly a lot of 1/2A, so my tanks are quite small. I needed some small tubing, but the LHS doesn't cater much to the small flyer. However, the shop was big into RC cars. I cobble up a lot of stuff and am constantly looking for things I can get locally and easily. The shop carried noodle wire - this is the high strand count battery wire with silicone insulation. I bought a couple of feet of 14 AWG (which was cheaper than an equal length of tubing), then stripped the insulation off the wire - it does take some effort. The insulation is completely impervious to 25% nitro and makes excellent fuel tubing. You may want 12 AWG to get a larger ID.

I've attached a pic showing the flexibility using a standard Sullivan clunk and a 35mm Fuji film can - the clunk will hit all sides.

andrew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22763.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1259494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51224.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1259495  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM
GSNut

Aurora 60

A hopper tank does have possibilities as it would stay full long enough to complete some of the downline
elements of the pattern. Then when fuel was again available to refill the hopper via the exhaust pressure.
You could then continue the pattern.

Good Idea and will see if I have enough room to do one in front of the main tank.

Thanks Aurora 60

Doug
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
GSNut

Andrew...

Bet that is a going Delta ! Nice, I like it... how about one in A size, like for a OS .25 ?

I think I have seen the Noodle Wire you speak of and 12 AWG should be just about the right size..
Will raid the nearest LHS and see it they have some.

It would be a great find if they have that size...

Thanks Andrew !

Doug
Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Aurora_60

Wow Doug, How did you come up with that one!! That's a killer idea. I have tons of wire off a military nuke sub that was refitted. I was going to use it on a sailboat, but the wire isn't tinned. The jacket is impervious to almost anything though ...
Thanks for sugestion!

DM
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
GSNut

We have Andrew to thank for the Noodle Wire idea...
I think it has great merit so am going to look for some.

Thanks Again Andrew !

Doug
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Aurora_60

Ohch..[:@]
Sorry about that Andrew and Doug.. got the names mixed up

DM
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 PM
GSNut