Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Has anyone put retracts in a WM Intruder YET?

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Has anyone put retracts in a WM Intruder YET?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone put retracts in a WM Intruder YET?

I tried looking around but didn't find anything but folks thinking about doing it. Has anyone actually done it? I have a WM Intruder here and a set of Spring Air's. Just looking for pointers and "gotcha's".

Dave
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone put retracts in a WM Intruder YET?

Retrofitting retracts into an all wood ARF is a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. If the retract wheel wells were already in place and the wing had been glued together instead of wrapped together via the covering (the way that most all wood ARF wings are assembled), it might be worth the bother. Besides, this airplane isn't competitive in the Ballistic Pattern Association's competitions, even with working retracts and the Senior Pattern Association's competitions will not let you retract the gear, even though having the gear is legal.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Free Bird

Retrofitting retracts into an all wood ARF is a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. If the retract wheel wells were already in place and the wing had been glued together instead of wrapped together via the covering (the way that most all wood ARF wings are assembled), it might be worth the bother. Besides, this airplane isn't competitive in the Ballistic Pattern Association's competitions, even with working retracts and the Senior Pattern Association's competitions will not let you retract the gear, even though having the gear is legal.

Ed Cregger
Ed, I would have to disagree. I think it's a worth while project. Granted it'll take a fair amount of work to accomplish, and granted may not be competitive (in the right pilot's hands it would be), doing a reto fit is still on my to do list. I think it would be a good mod to a good model.

FB
Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 AM
dave_anderson

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ed Cregger
Thanks Ed, but I'm not really looking to compete. Just go fast and do point rolls.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
NM2K

Then I imagine that you would be happy with the converted model. Good luck and enjoy.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be a viable project. Just beef the wing up where you are going to mount the gear's. I have more project's on the table, but am thinking about it. The attached picture's are a WM Intruder. Lot of room in the NG area. On my Intruder's, I joined the wing panels, just cut into the LE middle section. As far as BPA, you can install a pipe on anything, even these ARF's.

Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85198.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1276943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69225.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1276944  
Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 AM
airbusdrvr

If you put the gear in the tank compartment, then you will need a YS two-stroke to get the fuel from the radio compartment where your tank will go.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 AM
crankpin

OK. If that won't work, then make a tail dragger, save weight, only main's retract. I mounted servo's in the tail of last one, had to put the battery pack under the tank, then no room for retract NG.
Crank

Name:	Ca81615.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1276966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79040.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1276967  
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 AM
NM2K

If I were inclined to install retracts into this model, I would make a foam wing and do it that way. I hate doing the same job more than once because I underestimated the strength demands the first time. Installing retracts is plain easy as is making the installation strong enough.

Please don't be irritated by my persistence. We're just talking amongst friends here.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 AM
NM2K

You do nice work, Crankpin. Thanks for the photos.

How much weight have you added with multiple servos, larger battery capacity and more linkages. Me thinks the model might fly better with the old single servo per surface set up, since it would be much lighter.

I'm just trying to generate dialogue, not tick you off.

What I'm really getting at, rather indirectly, is that while I agree that your modern servo/linkage setup is superior to the old fashioned set up, you really need today's larger models to absorb/offset the increased weight of such a set up in order to justify its installation. The old setups were actually strong and accurate enough to exploit the best servos of the day without using all the weight and complexity of today's systems.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-17-2009, 07:19 AM
dave_anderson

So, nobody had installed retracts on this model I see. Maybe I'll be the first.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 AM
crankpin

Whatever works.

Crank
Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 AM
crankpin

There is a NIB YS61AR for sale. Can anyone give me info on this powerplant?

Crank

Name:	Yw67607.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1276981  
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

longstroke ys engine, tons of power, lotsa torque, and doesnt whine or shake if it revs high either, normal fuel, no petroleum based after run oils or your pump diaphragm will turn to goo, works very well with the mac's quiet pipe 11x10 11x11 or 12x10 etc. hope you like lotsa power
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

YS 61 AR...

How many do you want? The NIB motors have sold for $195 - $225 on Buy-Bay. Many pilots used the APC 12 x 12 with the Hatori header and pipe.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Service
Editor Classic Pattern-Trader
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
dave_anderson

Do you guys think the retracts really make much difference in the speed of a model? I plan on using my AXE/Rossi .60 (14,000 rpm) and a pipe. Are retracts more of an appearance thing?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
lfinney

no retracts arent just a appearance thing, its all about drag,and looks lol
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
dave_anderson

Yeah, it would be much sweeter with retracts. I cant afford a jet and I love precision aerobatics, so I figure a ballistic rocket ship would do the trick. Mach 6 point rolls are heavenly to me. I have a slightly beat up Tiger Tail III with a fiberglass fuse up in the attick. It has Dave Brown retracts already installed, but I have been told the TT3 isn't a very "fast" ship compared to others. Come to think of it, I haven't heard the WM Intruder termed "fast" either. I owned a Troublemaker and man that thing SCREAMED. Just want something different.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

I'd bet the TT3 is as fast or faster than the ARF Intruder. It was from a 'fast airplane' era.

Terry in LP
Old 09-17-2009, 02:11 PM
crankpin

Hey, wait a minute. Same powerplant's, different planes, same weight, retracts or not, how is one going to go faster then the other?
One of my Phoenix' looks faster then the Intruder, but is it ?

Crank
Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM
dave_anderson

ORIGINAL: anuthabubba

I'd bet the TT3 is as fast or faster than the ARF Intruder. It was from a 'fast airplane' era.

Terry in LP
I was thinking also that the TT3 is a bigger plane. 70" span. Probably flys sweet, just want it to MOVE!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 PM
lfinney

if yer flying for fun put a 70 or 90 size twostroke and pipe it..... no replacement for displacement when your looking for speed[8D]
Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 PM
dave_anderson

Tower .75 on a pipe for us budget minded folks?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Hey, wait a minute. Same powerplant's, different planes, same weight, retracts or not, how is one going to go faster then the other?
One of my Phoenix' looks faster then the Intruder, but is it ?

Crank
Crank,

You can put a 60 on a flying brick with retracts which weighs the same as your Phoenix but I bet the Phoenix with gear extended will move out considerably faster... it's all about aerodynamics, ain't it?

There's actually an interesting article in Popular Mechanics this month about a new attempt to break the land speed world record (760+ MPH). The discussion goes into how drag and speed relate to each other (one goes linearly with the square of the other) and addresses the issue of the requirement for an exponential increase in thrust, as the aerodynamic drag goes up, to achieve a fairly small linear increases in speed. The goal is set on the 1K MPH mark and the Brits have built a 4 wheel rocket with 28K pounds of thrust! Of these, 22K pounds are generated by a turbine while the remaining 6K are produced by an actual rocket. A V12 Aston Martin engine (which would probably get you moving at 200 mph on rubber and asphalt) is used as a pump to feed the turbine...

David.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 AM
crankpin

OK. Not hi-jacking the thread. I have been thinking of retracts in one of these birds for some time. I have another P-6 in the building stage right now, but could take a holiday on it. It is in construction stage, so it will not mind resting a bit. The Intruder is mid-wing, or close to it. What may have stopped anyone from installing retract's, (not including all the ARF, Chinese this 'n that), is the gear lengths. Look at how long the strut's have to be. Yes, we can beef it up, but take off and landing on rough grass field's, could be a challenge. 5/32" strut's, may have to go to bigger wheels. I am using Kraft treaded on the three WM Intruder's I have now, 2.5" main's, 2.25" nose. Central has some nice light wheel's that are not spongie's.

After this, I went out and did some measuring before I get to the yard stuff here, take's all day. The Intruder strut, from bottom of wing to center of 2.5" wheel is 6 - 5/8".
On the Phoenix, bottom of wing to cener of 2.5" wheel is 4 - 7/16". Yes, I have good prop clearance here with the way the plane is designed.

Crank

Name:	Bz79187.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1277480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14651.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1277481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74149.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1277482  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.