Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Engine choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 PM
rabbid fly
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine choice?

The question i have here is.What engine would perform the best in a EU-1a . I have four engines to choose from.
1. Rossi 61 black head
2.Webra 61 L.S
3 YS61
4 Hanno 61 either ABC or ringed.
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.Phil
Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Engine choice?

Which YS 61? The LS or the AR (LS with a bit more power)?
I'd go with the Hanno. The EU1-A needs all the power you can find. I'd probably prop it with an APC 12x11 for good horizontal speed and good vertical. Keep the EU1-A as light as possible. Is it from an original kit or one of Dan Hines?
Good luck and post some photos here, please .
-Will B.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM
rabbid fly

The YS 61 is a LS. This is an original kit. Will try to build it this winter. I know Dan was working on the EU-1 but never heard if he got it in prodution yet.
Phil
Old 10-11-2009, 11:45 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Where can I find a EU-1A? I had one in the early 80s from a Dave Scully Aero Composits kit. I lost the airplane when a guy turned on ,on me and I crashed while in pratice for South Carolina State Championships in Columbis SC.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 10-11-2009, 05:58 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rabbid fly

The question i have here is.What engine would perform the best in a EU-1a . I have four engines to choose from.
1. Rossi 61 black head
2.Webra 61 L.S
3 YS61
4 Hanno 61 either ABC or ringed.
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.Phil

I'm not a pattern hotshot, but that doesn't prevent me from having an opinion.

IIRC, the EU-1A was designed to be powered by the high revving piped engines of the era. This was substantially before the era of the super slow/quiet long stroke engines, which, contrary to popular opinion, did not produce the horsepower of the earlier high revving engines.

Oops! Forgot the engine I would choose. It would be the Rossi, if it was a high revving old style engine, which I think it might be.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
rabbid fly

ORIGINAL: FBaity

Where can I find a EU-1A? I had one in the early 80s from a Dave Scully Aero Composits kit. I lost the airplane when a guy turned on ,on me and I crashed while in pratice for South Carolina State Championships in Columbis SC.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Hi Frank, i know they are hard to come by. I have been looking for one for at least 5 years. This one came up on RCU and jumped on it. I think your best bet would be from Dan at Carolina aircraft.
Phil
Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
samdimaio
My Feedback: (106)

Currently flying my twice-retored EU-1A that I bought already built at a swap meet. It was originally powered with OS61VF, correct OS pipe and 11x7.5 zinger, 14K RPM on 10% nitro. Performance was just ok at about 10Lbs. dry - really had to manage the inertia to get it to perform properly. Switched last year to a well used SHORT STROKE YS60FR on the correct MAC muffled pipe, 11x7.5 zinger. Performance was dramatically improved - really made the EU-!A come alive. I still have not tached the YS to see what RPM its making on the ground but it does unload nicely in the air - what a machine! I have a couple of Rossi 61s and will try one of those in another EU-1A that i am restoring - i hear they scream also. Of the engines you've listed, I would go with the Rossi - just make sure you get the correct pipe and take your time establishing the correct tuned length and you wont be disappointed. The EU-1A is a large airframe for a sixty - keep it light by using contest grade balsa for the sheeting and monokote on the wings and tail and dont forget the cut-outs in the outer portion of the wing to save weight.

I have not experimented with the long stroke engines in the EU-1A so am unable to comment on those.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
rabbid fly

I always use contest grade balsa mostly 2mm, it gives you that extra sanding edge. I also have the B. Violet C/F kit that has made for this plame. This plane is going to be as light as i can get it. Phil
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Screaming engines are OK for Pylon racing but usually much less efficient for pattern. Horsepower generated at 18,000 rpm is pretty useless. The EU1-A needs a lot of thrust, the screaming only happens after the crash . The YS FR was significantly more powerful than the OS 61VF - I ran both until the OS 61RF-ABC-P was released. The YS was still very powerful even with a 12x9 prop!
Try all the engines and various props (I know, easy for me to say...): 11x7 to 13x9.
Post some photos of construction and the finished airplane; we'd all love to see!
-Will
Old 10-14-2009, 12:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flywilly

Screaming engines are OK for Pylon racing but usually much less efficient for pattern. Horsepower generated at 18,000 rpm is pretty useless. The EU1-A needs a lot of thrust, the screaming only happens after the crash . The YS FR was significantly more powerful than the OS 61VF - I ran both until the OS 61RF-ABC-P was released. The YS was still very powerful even with a 12x9 prop!
Try all the engines and various props (I know, easy for me to say...): 11x7 to 13x9.
Post some photos of construction and the finished airplane; we'd all love to see!
-Will

I have owned and flown several OS .61VF and FSR engines with pipes in pattern ships. The results were disappointing, putting it in a kindly manner. I don't know who would be trying to fly pattern, even in the old days, with an engine turning 18k rpm. That's just plain silly and has never been my idea of what's required to fly pattern.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-14-2009, 12:33 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So...

what of that pumped Hanno on a 12x10 or 13x9? Will certainly has all the RPM figures for various props on this beast. A YS 61 AR would be another interesting option but I understand not available.

I'd be inclined to put a high thrust engine into the EU-1A and turn a big prop compared to the standard 11x7-1/2 of the day and have that engine turning at 9.5-10K RPM.

David.