Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Setup details on a Modeltech Calypso

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
rodders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup details on a Modeltech Calypso

Hello,
After watching a well known auction site for a couple of years, looking for good Calypso, I found and won a NIB Modeltech Calypso at a price I was really happy with.
As far as I'm aware it is in good condition and the only reported issue is a cracked canopy.
Anyone care to suggest a good modern engine to go in it, I have a NIB O.s 91 FX which could go into it.
Is a modern 91 4 stroke an option?
Do you go with the retracts or fixed legs?
If anyone has any good setups, I would be glad to hear about it.
Regards,
Rodders
Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Setup details on a Modeltech Calypso

Calypso...set-up

The following is my opinion...I had a Calypso in the mid-90's with an O.S. .91 4 cycle. I was hoping to replicate the fantastic experience I had with the EZ (Ok Models) Supra Fly 45 which was designed for a .60 2 cycle/.91 4 cycle. It did not.

Hanno used the Super Tigre S .61 with a simple header/pipe. The weight of the .61 allows the radio equipment to be installed in the wing compartment vs the tail (which I did for my .91 Calypso).

The prop diameter of a 4 cycle is larger than a 2-cycle which makes the throttle transition more challenging in a non-specifically designed 4-stroke model.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 PM

Hii.

I have been flowen a Modelteck Calypso with a Super tiger 90 and retracts. Flew very well with that engine. The engine have same size as a ST 61 and aint much gram heavier.

Best Regards
Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

I have one I built in the '80s with an OS FS 90 4 stroke mounted inverted. This is the second FS 90 I've had on it. The engine is no real powerhouse but flies the plane very well and at a rather constant speed with a nice mellow sound. The model was built with cutouts in the wing/stab/fuse, home made maple/ply engine mount and single fixed main gear with tip draggers on the wings. Dry weight is 6 pounds 13 ounces. The plane is a real pleasure to fly.

Terry in LP
Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM
cllaurit

The plane is small for a .91 two stroke. I had one in the early 90's with a ST. x-61RE that truly defined ballistic.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cllaurit

The plane is small for a .91 two stroke. I had one in the early 90's with a ST. x-61RE that truly defined ballistic.

Running small pattern props that would have a workable fit on a model like the Calypso, I never saw a substantial power difference between the G61 and the G90. But, that's just me.

Now put a larger prop on the G90 and you will see a substantial difference between it and the G61.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 PM
rodders

Hello,
I have the plane and yes it it does look quite small for a 91 2 stroke, I think the O.S 91FX is a ment to be a real beast and I could use it but I will keep an eye out for a classic 2 stroke to go in it, I assume anything by O.S ,YS,Super Tiger or Webra will fit the bill. Was this the era of long stroke engines or were they of the sreaming variety?

The plane is so simple in its construction, you could make one from plans in no time.

Are there any specific retracts to go in it?

The canopy is badly cracked, does anyone know a source of a replacement one?
Regards,
Rodders
Old 11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
rodders

Hello,.
Where would I get a new canopy from?
Anyone know which retracts to use, I assume the cutouts in the wing are designed around a certain set?
I'm going to keep and eye out for an engine, does this plane go with a short or long stroke 60?
Regards,
Rodders
Old 11-12-2009, 05:24 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

The cutouts were for, I think, Supra retacts but would probably fit others with maybe some minor adjustments.

Terry in LP
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 PM
cllaurit

I don't know about the canopy but I used Spring-Air retracts in mine and they fit fine.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
rodders

Thanks,
I have found that I can get a new set of Supra mechanical retracts from Ripmax, so I'm going with those.
I'm sure someone must know what sort of 2 stroke engine I should be looking for (long or short stroke, side or rear exhaust)!
Regards,
Rodders
Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 AM
cllaurit

I used a ST X.61 Rear exhaust in mine. It was a bit tight fitting the manifold as the plane is designed for a side exhaust. I would go with a short stroke as a LS would be hard to prop with the given ground clearance.