Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Phil Kraft's "Flea Fli"

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Phil Kraft's

ORIGINAL: summerwind

12 kits and then i am going to vacate the hobby.
too many dealings with people who have done things wrong on their end only to end up defacing my reputation.

Mike,
Your reputation is sound with me. Don't let idiots rent space in your head for free. .The people that matter know what kind of person you are.

Thanks for putting the kits together!

Take care,

Jeff
Old 03-27-2011, 05:57 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're right Jeff.
it wouldn't be fair to kill my plans for all those who contributed to this thread. i do feel that the mods here should never allow someone who defaults on a deal on another site to post the issue on RCU, especially when it was the posters fault initially.

anyways, i am starting to cut full size templates so i can go ahead with this as planned.
suppliers are still a bit of a problem though as all the orders for the initial 2 kits have me scambling for stuff that i ordered but received wrong, so i am still going to try a couple other suppliers to get the materials i need.

i have an order in with Sig for castor based fuel for my ST 23's and the nose gear units.
once i get the gear i can then make up the main gear legs.

retracts would be cool, but i can't recommend it as it will cause tank and weight issues.
plans will be a breeze thanks to You and Doxilla's help.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

glad to hear that things are gradually coming together. Obtaining materials for as many kits as you plan to put together sounds like it can be a challenge. I'm sorry to hear that you had two repeat issues with your supplies.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

David.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 AM
doxilia

Hi Mike,

thought I would inquire on how your FF project is going. There are two or three builds (Mike's and Rick's) but I haven't seen any progress lately.

I'm working on sorting out my build priorities.

David.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
summerwind

hey David,
i've got one of these cut, and am working on the second.
i had some issues with the first balsa supplier, and am waiting on the second batch of wood from another supplier.

i got sidetracked a bit with my Headmaster build. it's an old Ken Willard trainer that is just fun to fly, and will make a great test bed for the Super Tigres.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 PM
doxilia

Mike,

Glad to hear you sorted out the wood issues.

Regarding the Tigre's, the muffler that came with the X25's was the same muffler that was used on the G20 15/21/23 series - at least that's the kind that came with my X25. Since the X series was always in my mind ST's pylon/performance engine, I always envisioned using a pipe on the X25 but, as it happened, I needed a muffler for the G20/23 I bought, so things worked out well.

The restrictive smaller muffler that is provided by ST with the X21/25 is, in my opinion, inappropriate. It is fine on the G series, by design, but the X25's deserve either an aftermarket performance muffler or a pipe for optimum performance. I'll be using a Macs 1020 quiet pipe on mine on a UFO 25 which should be built some time this year. The G20/23 will go into a Deception 15 with the smaller muffler.

I hope this sheds some light.

David.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 PM
summerwind

funny, a year ago i was looking hard as heck to find a muffler for the .23's...........somehow i've ended up with a half dozen.....LOL

after doing a search here though i found one of your old posts about the Mac's header #2370..........as luck would have it, i just found one on fleebay. BTW, have you considered just using the #1120?......less than half the weight of the 1020.
i too can't beleive that ST supplied the tiny muffler for this engine.
now just gotta come up with a small pattern ship for the X25...........sheesh, i can see how we get sidetracked.

gotta get back to the FF
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM
summerwind

***UPDATE***

well it's been awhile, but not to let go, i have decided to leave RC and all projects RC related. i am headed back to a form of modeling and competition that created my interest in modeling to begin with.

i did however produce 2 of the Flea Fli kits, but not without a "balsa wood nightmare"............with that i say, the suppliers of wood are so inconsistent it isn't even funny.
if i were selling kits by the pound it would be an easy chore, tho i doubt anyone would find it humorous if they received a kit with a half pound stab, but a mush left wing panel right?
by that let me explain................having built and flown the Flea Fli, it is a very well behaved and fun to land mini pattern job just like it's big brother the Kwik Fli III.
it takes careful wood selection for all areas of this model in order to guarentee that the buyer ends up with a model that flies exactly as the prototype IMO.
so what's happened is that i have spent over $300.00 to get enough wood to make 3 kits............2 suppliers were used and both sent wrong size materials, and weight inconsistencies like you wouldn't believe..............one supplier even told me that i didn't order TE stock so he added it to my original bill of materials......"the Flea Fli doesn't use TE stock" i told him, but he added it anyways saying i probably made a mistake..........what a friggin goofball.

anyways, i updated this thread to let you all know what has been going on, but i add that 3 people have PM'ed me to ask what happened to this project........PM's were replied to, but no one stepped up to offer to hold up to buying a kit..............thus no kits will be produced beyond the 2 that sit here.

sincerely
-mike
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 AM
buzzard bait

So Mike, are you going back to free flight?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, you've done the right thing by pursuing what makes you happy. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Are you selling either of the two kits you produced? If you are, I'd be honored to buy one from you.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

So Mike, are you going back to free flight?
you got it.......i'll be spending the next 2 weeks photographing and listing stuff.
biggest item will be the Futaba 12z.....someone will get a great deal on it.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Mike, you've done the right thing by pursuing what makes you happy. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Are you selling either of the two kits you produced? If you are, I'd be honored to buy one from you.
yes i am Jeff.....i'll get the details and PM you later.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 PM
doxilia

Mike,

after our exchanges this summer I have to admit I'm sorry to hear about this latest news. I was looking forward to further exchanges on some of the smaller models we've talked about and putting the various ST's to work.

Having said that, I understand that one must follow one's heart and if FF is where it's at, then carpei diem!

I, like some others, was interested in the outcome of this project but I appreciate full well the commitment and dedication required to do these things. If I had the extra funds at this time to purchase the second kit, I'd do so assuming it was available. Unfortunately I've made a commitment to buy another kit which will require some funds to proceed. This summer has been taxing on a number of fronts so I'm afraid I'm going to miss your, no doubt, excellent FF kits (the other FF...).

Best of luck in your new modeling activities. Should you have a list of items for sale that you'd like to share, I'd be interested in seeing it - maybe a little can be put aside for something special!

David.

P.S. I replied to your latest email regarding the ST S29 header. If there is something additional that I owe you, please let me know. It's important to me that you do not feel the exercise was just an effort in frustration.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 PM
buzzard bait

Mike, I always like words like, "what created my interest in the first place". Being in a club and reading the hobby stuff including these forums is all good, but I have to admit I feel I've allowed myself to get distracted from what I like best too. Good for you, for chucking all that isn't what you really want so you can focus on what you do want. Makes me think about what I'm doing too.

Jim
Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: doxilia

David.

P.S. I replied to your latest email regarding the ST S29 header. If there is something additional that I owe you, please let me know. It's important to me that you do not feel the exercise was just an effort in frustration.
it was a pleasure to do the deal for you David...............it was dealing with the ebay newby that was a PIA
Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Mike, I always like words like, ''what created my interest in the first place''. Being in a club and reading the hobby stuff including these forums is all good, but I have to admit I feel I've allowed myself to get distracted from what I like best too. Good for you, for chucking all that isn't what you really want so you can focus on what you do want. Makes me think about what I'm doing too.

Jim
well i really enjoyed the last 4, well 3 of the first years in RC as the technology made it interesting, but all in all it got boring for me and that is partly becuase i am so use to competition which Free Flight offers on many levels. RC does too, but FF is more about builder/flyer in mostly all the events.