Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Need info on Custom Carolina Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need info on Custom Carolina Aircraft

I can't find a website for Carolina Custom Aircraft. Have done searches but can't come up with any info. Anybody have a URL or a cdontact number?
Thanks,
S Gibson
Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need info on Custom Carolina Aircraft

He doesn't have a website.

But you can contact him directly at [email protected] or PM him here... His RCU handle is Deadstik and he posts frequently.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Go to this link http://www.classicpatternassociation.com/page9.html and click on Dan's banner and it will take you to his email addy.. He is working on his site.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Carolina Custom Aircraft, as the nice guys above said, can be contacted at [email protected]

We've had a slight setback here as two weeks ago our home took a direct hit from one of the NC tornados. Everyone OK but put two trees on the house, messed up windows/shutters, exploded the back storm door, destroyed (really) our Ford conversion van and blew out the passenger window on my Expedition. Yep, a mess but as of now the house is fixed and we are getting to the lesser evils. I want to thank all those folks who called and apologize to those that didn't know this had put CCA a bit behind. We are back into prodution as of this weekend and I look forward to a busy season of kit building and flying when I can.

Take care,

Dan

Dan Hines
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Rougemont, NC
[email protected]
336-364-3120
Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Wow. . . same thing happened to Gator R/C a few years back. Must be something about kit manufacturing that attracts tornados!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that or they shouldn't use mobile homes as manufacturing facilities.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Man, that's just doubling down for trouble!!!!
ORIGINAL: dhal22

that or they shouldn't use mobile homes as manufacturing facilities.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:22 PM
PatternPilot

Dan is not using his home for manufacturing, he has a building at a diffrent location... So i guess im next as a manufacture for a storm.. hope not...

scott
Old 04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
dhal22

that was a joke.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
PatternPilot

I talked to Dan right after it happen and it sounded like a real mess, it is good to hear that he is recovering from the storm...

s.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 AM
toprudder

I do hope Dan is back in business, I have a friend that is still waiting for a kit. (Four years).
Old 06-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: toprudder

I do hope Dan is back in business, I have a friend that is still waiting for a kit. (Four years).
If it's an Atlanta kit he's waiting on it's not Dan's fault..It's mine.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60
If it's an Atlanta kit he's waiting on it's not Dan's fault..It's mine.
Nope, not an Atlanta.

Years back, Dan expressed to me his interest in finding an old Banshee fiberglass kit. I knew someone that had one and managed to get the two together. Dan was going to pull a mold from the original and in exchange my friend would get a completely new kit. This was over four years ago. At one point Dan agreed to give him a different kit (Brushfire). But, all we have are promises and excuses.

I apologize for airing this online, but I feel I have no other choice. Despite numerous emails and conversations my friend is still out one vintage pattern plane.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 PM
PatternPilot

TopRudder...

Have you tried the phone ????

scott
Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
dhal22

i've never seen a phone number for him.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
toprudder

Have I called him on the phone? No. Even in his earlier posting in this thread, he lists an email address for a point of contact (he does have a phone number in his signature). As I stated before, I have emailed (and gotten responses) numerous times, and I have talked face to face with Dan several times when I have bumped into him at local modeling events. I had no reason to think I would have any better luck talking on the phone.

UPDATE: Since the last email (and posting here) he has promised he would have it delivered by the end of this month.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:36 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: toprudder

Have I called him on the phone? No. Even in his earlier posting in this thread, he lists an email address for a point of contact (he does have a phone number in his signature). As I stated before, I have emailed (and gotten responses) numerous times, and I have talked face to face with Dan several times when I have bumped into him at local modeling events. I had no reason to think I would have any better luck talking on the phone.

UPDATE: Since the last email (and posting here) he has promised he would have it delivered by the end of this month.
Have what delivered? The new kit or returning the old kit?

Dave
Old 06-13-2010, 08:36 PM
PatternPilot

post #4 has his number....

I don't think that it is fair or in good taste that you would not try him on the phone prior to making the post that you did.

Just my 2 cents......
Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Have what delivered? The new kit or returning the old kit?
The new kit. It is my understanding in talking with Dan that the old fuselage is not usable at this point since he had to do things to it to make it more useful as a plug from which to make a mold.

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

I don't think that it is fair or in good taste that you would not try him on the phone prior to making the post that you did.

Just my 2 cents......
I apologize to those that think it was unfair or in poor taste to make these posts. If it was in poor taste, frankly I don't see how calling him on the phone prior to making my posts would make them taste any better. [sm=regular_smile.gif]

I carefully reviewed the RCU policies before making the posts. I thought twice about it. I am not cursing or flaming, I am merely stating the level of service received from someone that uses the forum to promote their business. I think that falls under the "free flow of information" clause of the RCU policies. If I knew ahead of time that it was going to take several years (by reading about it here) I may not be so upset now.

Is it fair to make promises to deliver it on many occasions over the past four years and then not live up to it? I don't think so - My 2CW. And based on the PMs I've gotten, I'm not the only one to have to wait a long time (not four years, though).

I knew Dan long before all this started and while it may not seem like it from my posts, I do consider him to be a friend. He has ALWAYS responded positively to my all my emails (hence the reason I did not phone him - I did not see the additional need) but in the end the promised product is not here - yet. I will say that everything I've heard is that he does top quality work so maybe it will have been worth waiting for.

If all of this results in getting the promised product, I will have no regrets.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 AM
PatternPilot

Well glad your getting a new kit................

All I was thinking was you did not exhaust all options prior to the post. I had a nice conversation with Dan last night for about 30 mins while watching the RCU posts>

scott
Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that this is any of my business but having had similar experiences of this nature (certainly not with Dan though!), I'd have to say that "face to face" conversations supersede telephone conversations in as far as a "level of communication and understanding" goes. That said, as customers, we should be able to rely on a vendors provided first point of contact. In similar circumstances, communication rarely has anything to do with the events.

David.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: doxilia

That said, as customers, we should be able to rely on a vendors provided first point of contact. In similar circumstances, communication rarely has anything to do with the events.
I agree.

Now what I am about to say has nothing to do with Dan, but it bugs me when a company has a website with a "contact us" page that lists an email address, but after several email attempts have failed you find out from someone at the company "oh, we never open our email, just call us if you need something". [:'(] I'm sorry, but during working hours I am usually WORKING. It is much easier for me to do things like this in my spare time. It is also easier for me to compose my thoughts and carefully word something in an email. And, I save my emails so I can refer to them later (my memory isn't what it used to be []).
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
dhal22

there is a ton of vendors in rc that do their production in the evenings, on the weekend, after their full time job. i would prefer that they state that up front. the delays would be a little easier to accept that way. in fact it might encourage business. customers will place an order well in advance knowing it may take a while.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
toprudder

Dan delivered the Brushfire kit last week.

Excellent quality. The fuselage weighs 24 oz. There is carbon-fibre reinforcement along the wing seat, nose ring, and vertical stab leading/trailing edges. The seams have been filled and the whole fuselage coated with primer. Makes me want to build one for myself.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty nice fuse.
Makes me want to start my T2A.
I might have mentioned on here before that it took 9 months to get my T2A kit from Dan. We corresponded by phone and email. He was easy to talk to, told me what was happening and I was not in a hurry.
If I order a model like this from a cottage industry person, I never expect super fast service. If it's not Tower or Horizon, or Hobby People, I know it's custom, the guy has a day job, and it's going to take a while. I figured this of Dan's deal, and so no heart burn. I think my model was one of his first MKII's anyway.
It was worth the wait.
Chris...
P.S. To the assembled; This is where I would put something in about a Vanquish 2M if I was an F3A guy, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.