Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Battery set up for a Classic Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:13 AM
chino_2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery set up for a Classic Pattern

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 12" name="Generator" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 12" name="Originator" /><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\Users\FLOYDI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_filelist.xml" /><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:\Users\FLOYDI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_themedata.thmx" /><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:\Users\FLOYDI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_colorschememapping.xml" /><style type="text/css"></style>

Hi,
I´d like to know which is the best battery set-up for this kind of airplanes.
I´ve 600 mAh Ni-Cd but today the lipo´s has more capacity. <o></o>

I don´t know exactly what a “PowerSystem” is. In a glider I have I use a 30A ESC in a way to convert the 11,1 V in the voltage that receptor and servos needs. It works but I don’t know if it´s the best way to do that.
Regards,
Chino <o></o>

<o></o>

Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery set up for a Classic Pattern

Hi,

It will work with the 600 mAh Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) battery pack you have on any classic pattern plane with 4-6 servos.
But if that NiCd battery pack You have is old it is probably wise to replace it with some newer battery.
Yes LiPo works fine if You use a voltage regulator to keep the voltage below 6 volt (or at 4.8 volt) since older
(and most new) servos and receivers are not designed to be running on LiPo (with typical voltage of 7.2 volt in 2 cell battery pack) without a voltage regulator.
You can also use LiFe battery if you want but You still need a voltage regulator (despite it has lower voltage then LiPo,typical 6.6 volt in a 2 cell battery pack).

How large battery you want depends on what type of servos You use (digital servos are more power hungry), how many servos you use in the plane, how long you want to fly between recharge, how much weight you can afford for the battery packetc.

In the past 500 mAh NiCd battery pack was very common and we seemed to be able to use that even in a "full house" pattern plane with retracts, servo controlled fuel needle and maybe flaps (rare).
Anyway, now since the LiPo and LiFe batteries are lighter You can select much larger capacity, mAh, battery pack.
I have one 2 cell LiPo 1000 mAh here that weight only 53 gram - even a 2 cell 1800 mAh LiPo battery pack weight about only 100 gram.
So there is really no problem to use 1000-2000 mAh Lipo (or LiFe) in a classic pattern plane today regarding theweightin my opinion.
You need a good LiPo (andLiFe) battery charger of course but a good such charger do not cost much today (there are so many brands and models it is actually little difficult to decide what charger to buy).

What voltage regulator You may prefer I do not know but I use PowerBox Systems "Digi-Switch.
http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...itch/start.php
It is a combined Voltage regulator, Electronic switch and multicolor LED voltage monitor.
Weight: 15 gram
For two LiPo (or LiFe)

Two pictures below of my 1000 mAh LiPo and my Digi-Switch (combined weight just 69 gram).

If You will use classic pattern planes with glow engines a BEC (battery eleminator circuit) is not used at all. If You plan to use electric powered classic pattern planes You could use an ESC withBEC to get power to flight pack (servos and reveiver) but personally I would just use anESC (electronic speed controller) without BEC to power the electric motor and a separate smallerbattery pack forthe servos and receiver (that is what usually is used in modern 2x2 m electric F3A planes today).

/Bo

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28048.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	1467264   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45050.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1467265  
Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 PM
chino_2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery set up for a Classic Pattern

Thank you very much Bem, your information is very useful.
Good night.
Chino