Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

"Classical" Pattern?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Classical" Pattern?

I have been a little curious about this for a while. I'm hoping to understand this better. Can you help me out?

I am a former "quasi" professional classical musician. In music history, there are different genres. They all get lumped into the term "classical," and it is accepted by most musicians. For example, there is the Baroque genre, the Classical genre, the Romantic genre, etc. But we mostly lump it all as "classical" music. I am finding the same thing happening here.

Now, I am 34 years old, and I came into RC in 1994. This was on the tail end of what we refer to as "Classic" Pattern. Unfortunately, I did not discover classic pattern until the last few years, and just started to pursue this.

I have heard these terms bantered around, and I'm wondering if I understand them properly.

Here we go:

Classical Pattern (SPA)-

These are aircraft such as the Ugly Stick, Kaos, and previous models. Digital Proportion radios are just entering the market. Aircraft are designed to operate with stability using 2 or 3 channels operated on clicker switches, etc. Tricycle configuration is standard.

Classic Pattern (SPA)-
These aircraft are beginning to be designed with proportional radios in mind. Single stick and two gimbaled radios are coming into their norm with reliability. Engines are primarily baffled, but reliable. Auxiliary channels are starting to be used for retracts. Retracts are starting to be utilized. Examples of there aircraft are the Taurus, Cold Duck, Super Kaos, etc. Tricycle configuration is standard.

Ballistic Pattern-

Engines have become reliable and powerful. Porting has transitioned to Schnurel Porting, and the baffled piston has mostly disappeared from the market (the Pattern Competition Market). Radio Transmitters are switching to standard 72mgz and retracts are becoming a standard feature. Engines are using tuned pipes toward the end of this era. Fuel pumps are being used. Long drawn-out aileron maneuvers are becoming popular, and the knife-edge maneuvers are used competitively. Rolling Circles Baby!!!! Tricycle configuration is normal, tail draggers enter the scene.

2M-
I am mostly lost here. I have observed that retracts are common. The designs have become long, and four cycles have gained popularity, and pumped engines are being designed as factory install. YS and O.S. have really dominated the competition scene. Aircraft are becoming VERY expensive. The common flyer is essentially being pushed out of this end of the hobby because of costs.

1996- New Pattern design. Costs have quadrupled. Designs have eliminated retracts. Tail dragger configuration is the norm.

Please correct me where I am wrong. But I think this is what I’ve learned so far.

Brian
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
bem

Default RE: RE:

Hi,

I do not know all the terms for varios periods but a good way to understand the development of pattern planes, equipmentand type of flying used is to just study the F3A results including the manuvers lists from World championships from 1960 (first) to middle of 1990th where the classic pattern era ends as far as I know. At least that is how I try to keep track of the whole "classic pattern" era.
I started flying pattern in middle 1970th(first Mach 1 and some year later Curare) so I was to experience some of the "hay days" is pattern flying since it was very popular at that time, most people wanted something that at least looked like a "pattern plane".
I do not recall I have seen anyone used the term "classical pattern" beforethat You mention. Balllistic pattern is a term I'm familiar with since I was most active at that period - fast planes with pipe and retracts that was fast as a bullet (ballistic), something that probably contributed to it's end (tomuch space required for the menuvers andnoise problems for the environment around flying fields).

/Bo
Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
RCBruski65
My Feedback: (44)

The 2M is when they switched to turnaround pattern and the designs really started changing. Now you had to keep everything inside the box and you didn't need a 130 mph missile. That's when they wanted a little more drag to slow them down and retracts started to disappear and they started getting bigger and bigger fuses.

Tim
Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM
grcourtney

Default RE:

classical= vintage???

gary
Old 07-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE:

The 2 meter concept was introduced in the mid 90s as another way of setting aircraft and engine requirements. Prior to that there was a limitation on engine displacements - .61 cu in 2 strokes or 1.20 cu in 4 strokes. The factor of 2 difference was because in the beginning of 4 stroke development these two sizes were about equal in power output. But as the 4 strokes developed it became clear that some other method of limiting the models would be needed. The 2 meter concept was the answer - limit the size and weight of the airframe and remove any limitation on the engine. The limits were 2 meters or less in wingspan, 2 meters or less in fuselage length and a weight of 11 lb (actually 5 kg) or less. This resulted in larger airframes (obviously) and the use of carbon fiber, kevlar, titanium hardware, etc in order to keep the weight down. Engine technology (and cost) went up dramatically. This is an interesting example of designs evolving to meet new rules - something that is standard in most any type of competition.

By this time the use of the box and turnaround pattern had become standard and airspeeds were reduced compared to the ballistic days. The speed advantage of retracts was gone. More emphasis was placed on vertical performance and snap roll maneuvers were introduced. Greater side are was needed to optimize performance. As the patterns became more complex you watch the evolution of the designs over the past 15 years or so. The early turnaround planes were recognizable extensions of models from the 80s, but today's models have evolved to the point that there is little resemblance to the style of plane flown then.

The evolution of pattern designs makes sense when viewed in the context of the rules that existed at any given time period. Unfortunately, the evolution has resulted in increased size and cost. I still enjoy flying the classic pattern planes and can fit them into my car and also my Cessna Skylane for longer trips. I would be hard pressed to fit my Hydeout in the Cessna!

Jeff
Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: grcourtney

classical= vintage???

gary

Good question! I understrood all pre-1996 designs to be "Vintage."

What say all?

Skylane-

If I am correct, this change was due to Euopean standards changing, dramatically changing the game for American competitiors.

Yes, no, maybe so????

Brian
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When RCU first setup the Pattern forum years ago there was just one Pattern forum with everything mixed together. As the interest level increased in the older Pattern aircraft I suggested that we split the old and new Pattern into two separate forums. Many Pattern flyers had dropped out when turn around and the 2M stuff started, but started returning as we discussed the good old days of Pattern.

We did a poll of the members and the majority thought it was a great idea. We needed a name for the forum and I suggested we calling it “Classic” meaning the old aircraft we all love the best. My thoughts at the time, were vintage aircraft from the 60s through the 80s, to be built and flown like we did back then. It wasn’t related to SPA or any of their rules. After the “Classic Pattern” forum was approved by RCU, we had to come up with a forum cutoff date for the aircraft. We used 1996 because that was the beginning of 2M aircraft and Pattern changed dramatically.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

The 2 meter rules without engine limitation were established under the auspices of the FAI - the international governing body for aviation-related competition and records. It is my understanding that the push for turnaround started in Europe due to the loss of flying sites, although that problem existed elsewhere, as well. As for the 2 meter ruling, I'm not sure who was pushing that. I think that there were a lot of folks who welcomed the removal of the engine limitations as a great simplification.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE:

Urban legend has it that the 2 metre limitation came from the size of doorways in Europe. . .
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
stuntflyr

Default RE:

That's funny.
Chris...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
WEDJ

Default RE:

The only differences between SPA and Ballistic is the use of pipes and retracts.
SPA has an approved plane list of pre-1975(?) designs, ballistic does not, I'm pretty sure.

2M = turnaround

Then there's Vintage R/C Society - all designs must be 35 yrs old, and within VR/CS there are some date classes as well as radio function.