RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Skylab wing dimensions? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/3604106-skylab-wing-dimensions.html)

KrisG 11-30-2005 05:18 PM

Skylab wing dimensions?

Hello all,

I managed to put my hands on a glass Skylab fuselage with tail section in good condition. Unfortunately, the wing is missing. The Skylab was a popular ( in Europe) pattern style plane with an anhedral shoulder wing from the eighties. I know the airfoil is very close to the Curare airfoil, but does anybody know how much anhedral I need? Tip chord?

I wonder if there are still any of these around!

I anybody is unsure if they know this bird, I can post a pic of the fuse.

Thanks for your time,

Kris

McLeodAviation 12-07-2005 12:53 AM

RE: Skylab wing dimensions?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Kris,

I have a Hegi Skylab kit. I love the design and the model pictured on the kit has a great paint scheme. My kit has the plans but is missing the instructions. Are you still looking for wing specifications?

Mike

KrisG 12-07-2005 07:14 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, I am still looking for the wing dimensions. In the mean time, I did find out that the Skylab is about to be manufactured again. Hegi will go back in business. You can find more on www.hegi.de ( in German, unfortunately for you).

You would do me a great pleasure if you could send me the dimensions of the wing : span, chord at tip, sweep ( in inches at the leading or trailing edge ...).

Thanks for the reaction!

Kris

McLeodAviation 12-08-2005 03:31 AM

I am very happy to here Hegi will be back in business and offering many of their original designs!

I will have Skylab wing measurements soon. I am having a time getting to my kit. It is buried behind an enormous heap of my stuff!

KrisG 12-08-2005 01:25 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I really appreciate it. On the pictures, I noticed that the wing actually has a slight sweepback. That makes the plane look completely cool. Hegi advertises it as a '*****cat to fly' but this plane looks rather agressive and jet-like with the sweepback and the anhedral wing.

Looking forward to the dimensions. Take your time!

Thanks again,

Kris

McLeodAviation 12-09-2005 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Kris,

Here is a few details off the Skylab box,

"The wings have 3 degrees negative rake vee design"
Wingspan 1660 mm
Wing Profile NACA 0015

The plan only shows one wing panel and a couple inches of the other. The trailing edges are in a straight line with each other. On the plan the trailing edge is not swept back. The pictures on the box certainly look like the wing is a little swept back! The leading edge tappers 4 inches. The root chord is 12" and the tip is 8".

Shown on plan the anhedral {Unterlange fuer Endrippe} is exactly 2 cm or about 3/4 inch at the tip.

Unfortunately my kit is missing the instructions. Maybe I can get a copy from Hegi.

Mike

McLeodAviation 12-09-2005 02:06 AM

I think the anhedral creates the swept back appearance.

KrisG 12-09-2005 03:29 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information. The website also mentioned the 3° anhedral. Now that I know the wing chords, I will make some sketches and see how that looks like. The friend from whom I bought the fuselage cut a foam wing ( TLAR span, chord, sweep, etc) as he lost the plan and the wing when his house burnt down a couple of years ago. The plane still flew well, but I want to do it exactly as the original. A foam wing will be the way to go, I think.

I agree : although the trailing edges are in line with each other in top view, the anhedral gives an impression of sweepback looking 3/4 from between the tail and wing.

Thanks for the efforts!

Best regards,

Kris

McLeodAviation 12-09-2005 04:02 AM

Hi Kris,

I think a foam wing is good. A little heavier but stronger. Would you like templates of the root rib, tip rib and wing tip? This would help you make an exact copy of the wing. PM your address and I will mail them to you!

Mike

KrisG 12-27-2005 01:14 PM

Hi Mike,

I received your envelope with the drawings this morning. Thanks again for all the work. Now it's up to me to make the templates and cut the wing.

Yesterday night, I was fooling around with the digital pics you put on the thread here, and calculating the spacer to put under the wing tip when joining the two halves. From the pics, it looked like they made a "constant thickness" wing, i.e. making the tip airfoil relatively thicker to end up with the same physical thickness despite the smaller chord. 3° would then be the total anhedral, or 1.5° for each wing.

Enjoy the Holiday season!

Kris

KrisG 11-11-2006 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, the Skylab is finally ready for its new maidenflight. Hope the weather will be clearing up soon, and the engine will behave well. I tried to start it up to adjust it, and it was a bit balky. Webra .61 speed with Dynamix carb, Robbe 11x7.5 prop, methanol/carbulin oil mix ( 16% oil).

Total weight ( no fuel) 3200 grams.

Thanks again to Mike who helped me out with the wing templates.

Kris

bob27s 11-13-2006 10:02 AM

looks really good !!

just incase any of the old thread guys find this..... the HEGI site seems to be incomplete (still). Anybody have info if the kits are products were available?

Bob

Deadstik 11-13-2006 05:47 PM

Kris,

What a great looking Pattern ship !!!! Certainly different than anything from the era that I have seen.. A shoulder wing pattern ship... wow.. who would have thought???... Looking forward to the flight report..

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Rougemont, NC
[email protected]

Sport_Pilot 11-13-2006 10:03 PM

There was a sholder winged plane in the 60's or 70's. Something Eagle I think. It had a reverse gull wing with the inverted diehedral tip panels which were shorter than the longer anhedral panels. Looked kinda like a bird coming at ya. In fact it was made to look a lot like an eagle. Wish I could remember the name. I think I saw it in an article waaaay back. Never saw it in person nor heard of anybody winning anything with it.

McLeodAviation 11-14-2006 01:43 AM

Thanks again to Mike who helped me out with the wing templates.

Kris
[/quote]

No problem Kris, I was happy to help! Your Skylab looks great and will be a rocket ship with the Webra 61 Speed. I'm also looking forward to the flight report.

Hey Sport_Pilot, I remeber the model your speaking about! The Screaming Eagle was featured in Model Airplane News magazine. I don't remember seeing a kit of this model but the plans are still available from MAN. Certainly is a neat looking model designed to resemble an eagle, I like it!

Mike

Werner52 01-08-2007 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just discovered this forum and like to share a picture of my Skylab.
This plane is now flying for over 25years and still going.

RFJ 01-09-2007 05:29 AM

What a great looking Pattern ship !!!! Certainly different than anything from the era that I have seen.. A shoulder wing pattern ship... wow.. who would have thought???...
There were quite a few low/shoulder wing designs in the early days before the low wing set up took over.

For sxample the Uproar, Amanusa, FB-37, Maximum 4, Satanas & Styx.

Also of course the Stormer and Citation.

Ray

cbo.cbo 09-23-2007 10:12 AM

Hello,

23 years ago, I've build a Skylab with my father, and one month ago it's was the first flight with the engines dedicated in 1984, a HB40PDP :D:D:D

Emotion...

http://cbo.cbo.free.fr/skylab/sol.jpg
Last picture at home...

http://cbo.cbo.free.fr/skylab/vol2_sml.jpg
Let's go boy...

http://cbo.cbo.free.fr/skylab/vol1_sml.jpg
It' fly...

The engine is too small and the flight was awfull. I've buy a 49 MVVS and the next fly is plan ASAP

to be continued....