RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/4634432-kaos-related-planes-info.html)

lonestoner 11-20-2008 11:33 PM

RE: KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

hello fellow kaos fans , i just purchased the big chaos from bluejayairplanes, and im wondering what size motor would fly this 80" wingspan rocket at 13.5 lbs .

my two choices are a mark 1.80 at 4.10 horse power or the mark 2.10 at 4.95 hp . what are your thoughts and ideas.? when im done with the build ill post pics .[8D]

i was gonna get the ultra sport 60 but its too small i am advancing into giant 1/4 scale due to flight controls and visual stimulation , i love the loud noise , and the size . and the

brute force , maybe its adrenalin or something / ive been stuck flyin 40 size planes for like 15 years. and im done so anyways give some good input thanks all

NM2K 11-21-2008 06:49 AM

Lots of folks have flown the Giant Chaos with a .90 two-stroke and have been happy.

I have an ST 1.40 that I'm sure will over power the dickens out of it.

Ed Cregger

ggroyal1 11-21-2008 07:06 AM

Hey Ed,
I have a OS50 ringed engine on my Kaos and I have replaced the front and rear bearings 4 times. The engine is now discontinued. I have a Saito FA82 I could replace it with. How would it fly and what prop to use?

Thanks,

George G. Royal

lonestoner 11-21-2008 07:57 AM

thanks for the input. im not sure what engine yet im gonna end up with , but im leaning towards the moki/mark run of engines . due to the massive output they have , the kit . reccomends a 1.20 up to a 1.80 s stroke so anyways u all have a great day thank you so .

hrrcflyer 11-21-2008 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
George,

I believe you will have two problems with trying to put a Saito 82 in the Kaos. The first thing is that the motor is fairly large and the rear mounted carb only compounds the problems. The second thing is that the Saito is also heavy which will cause ballance problems. If you are curious as to how I know, I put a YS53 in my Tower Kaos and it gave a new meaning to the phrase PITA. See attached picture. I also converted my Kaos to a taildragger which was very simple to do.

Good luck with your plane and let us know how it turned out.

NM2K 11-21-2008 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: ggroyal1

Hey Ed,
I have a OS50 ringed engine on my Kaos and I have replaced the front and rear bearings 4 times. The engine is now discontinued. I have a Saito FA82 I could replace it with. How would it fly and what prop to use?

Thanks,

George G. Royal

-

11x8 - 9 or 12x7 - 8 should do the trick. Let us know how you make out with it.

You do know that you can still buy ball bearings for the OS .50? Right? Paul McIntosh of RC Bearings will be happy to fix you up with quality bearings at reasonable prices.

When going to a four-stroke, it is best to move the engine back a bit so that the prop is at the same place as shown on the plans when powered by a two-stroke. This often means knocking out the original firewall and making a new one that is moved back a bit. Since four-strokes burn less fuel, a smaller fuel tank will work out just fine in the reduced size fuel tank compartment.

You never did say which Kaos you have. Is it the original Kaos 60, Super Kaos 60, or the Tower Kaos ARF? The latter would need the firewall moved rearwards for a perfect installation, not that you couldn't force fit the .82 in the stock compartment and then just move the flight battery behind the wing.

Ed Cregger

ggroyal1 11-21-2008 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks ED,
I guess the bearins would be the best way, it is a hot engine. I just don't understand why the bearings keep wearing out. After 3 or 4 times, changing the bearings if easy. I have the Tower Kaos.
Thanks again Ed,

George G. Royal

NM2K 11-21-2008 12:17 PM

High performance flyers of any type know that engine bearings are consumables, just like props and glow plugs. An engine is not necessarily defective if it goes through a set of bearings a year IF you are flying a lot. I'd rather change them out before they get noisy or have a lot of radial play. When they let go, well, sometimes it isn't practical to rebuild the engine because of parts cost. Especially an OS.

I own and fly a lot of OS engines, but lately I've been looking for substitutes that provide the same performance at a lower price. But especially in parts prices. When I recently needed a .91 two-stroke, instead of buying OS, I opted for the Magnum .91 two-stroke. I haven't had any problems with Magnum two-strokes and they seem to hum right alongside OS at the field. I have no proof, but I suspect their manufacturing and QC has improved quite a bit recently.

Ed Cregger

cloudancer03 11-22-2008 05:26 PM

I have an os 50 and tested it on my bech and like all os runs great. does this have more power than my os 46?I am just finishing my second kaos and like the first will use a magnum 61 which is just barely broke in.I am looking at a dirty birdi and have a new os61 fx for that model.I also see a taildragger where do you set the gear up?is the cg a good spot to bolt a landing gear.

lonestoner 11-22-2008 06:26 PM

the landing gear for the tail dragger , should be placed foward of the main spar ...so the model will always lean back on the tail wheel . the 50 size os engine will pull the plane harder . or have more pull . let me know what u think also i think the dirti birdi is a sweet looking plane , put some pics up of ur model ,, thanks

NM2K 11-23-2008 05:26 AM

To me, conventional gear placement varies a bit according to the type of field surface I'll be flying from most of the time. Grass field flying models benefit from having the landing gear a tad more forward than models that are being flown from smooth macadam. Too far forward and the model will ground loop on takeoff, too far back and the model will tip over immediately upon the application of power. It is a fine balance. If in doubt, move it slightly forward from the best theoretical point.

On constant chord wings (wingtip rib is identical in length to the root rib), it is customary to place the axle of the landing gear directly beneath the leading edge of the wing.

On models with a swept leading edge, one could find the average distance between the most forward part of the wing at the root and the least forward part of the wing at the tip and then split the difference. Again, err on the side of being more forward, but only slightly.

Ed Cregger

lonestoner 11-23-2008 08:46 AM

hey ed , i tthought about 4 stroke engines .but they cost so damm much . im also thinking about a gas engine, who knows all i know is im gonna have two models ready to go this spring , the big chaos might be a while till i get all the proper equipment,

i have a kaos 60 with a generic foam wing. and a g 75 going on that plane

also i will have a carlgoldberg tiger 60 low wing 70 " wingspan with a thunder tiger 91 on it ,

the last is the big chaos , i want to practice on my small planes , then move on to the chaos, maybe at the end of the summer perhaps. ill get pics as i go .

cloudancer03 11-23-2008 10:54 AM

well as usual you guys gave some helpful advice.I try to fly all my planes as taildraggers.its so much simplier in setting the plane up and no nosegear nonsense plus the handling on the ground.I am going to try my os 50 on a 40 sized dirty birdi .I'll post my kaos when its coverted.I am hoping to fly it over the winter in florida .

cloudancer03 11-23-2008 10:56 AM

for me a fourstrioke is perfect for my aerobatic planes and warbirds but on my patterns I still like the 2 strokers.

NM2K 11-23-2008 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: lonestoner

hey ed , i tthought about 4 stroke engines .but they cost so damm much . im also thinking about a gas engine, who knows all i know is im gonna have two models ready to go this spring , the big chaos might be a while till i get all the proper equipment,

i have a kaos 60 with a generic foam wing. and a g 75 going on that plane

also i will have a carlgoldberg tiger 60 low wing 70 " wingspan with a thunder tiger 91 on it ,

the last is the big chaos , i want to practice on my small planes , then move on to the chaos, maybe at the end of the summer perhaps. ill get pics as i go .

-

Yep, I've thought of using a small gasser on the Giant Chaos kit myself. A lightweight 26cc engine would be just right. Might want to move the firewall back a tad, though.

We like seeing pics. Don't forget to post them.

Ed Cregger

lonestoner 11-23-2008 02:04 PM

good advice ed. i still think im gonna use a mark 1.8 or a mark 2.10 have no clue yet but i intend to turn n burn ...

i like the sound of a gas engine but its also too expensive ,

have a good weekend ,

astropuppy 12-15-2008 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everybody should own at least one. Super from Laser Works short Kit.

lvlender 12-17-2008 09:56 PM

do you still have the Kaos build-instruction booklet that Tower included in the kit? I have a new Tower Kaos kit but don't have the build instructions. Can you help?

Kevin Savage
Las Vegas, NV

ggroyal1 12-17-2008 10:03 PM

You can download the manual from Tower Hobbies website.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT80&P=ML

George G. Royal

lvlender 12-17-2008 10:17 PM

I just tried the URL you suggested but I get a "page cannot be found" message. Can you email me the link? Thanks! Just change (AT) to @.

Kevin Savage
Las Vegas
hobbymodeler(AT)earthlink.net

lvlender 12-17-2008 10:21 PM

do you still have the Kaos build-instruction booklet that Tower included in the kit? I have a new Tower Kaos kit but don't have the build instructions. Can you help?

Kevin Savage
Las Vegas, NV

rainedave 12-17-2008 11:03 PM

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...owa2052mnl.pdf

lvlender 12-18-2008 12:04 AM

Nope,

that is the manual for thr ARF not the builders kit but, thanks for looking for me.

ggroyal1 12-18-2008 12:41 AM

Have you tried this website?

http://plans.aerofred.com/cat4.htm?s...1f882a66ccc60b

lvlender 12-18-2008 01:08 AM

I looked. The Tower instruction book for the stick built Kaos 40 is not there. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Kevin Savage