RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9127034-scoop-hangar-9-phoenix-7-arf.html)

TonyF 09-27-2010 04:37 PM

RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

If classic .60 size pattern model sell well and become popular, you can bet the John Redman and the Horizon team along with probably others will produce specialized units for our needs. But that right now is an "if" not a definite.

The lightest P-7 I ever had back in the day was 7 3/4 pounds. I seem to remember it flying very well, but of course today we have grown used to really what back then would have been considered ridiculous power. I don't remember any P-7's hovering, but I can hover and then climb out easily with my current electric powered pattern model. I can't wait to see how good a P-7 with powerful, digital servos will fly!

rcguy! 09-27-2010 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: TonyF

If classic .60 size pattern model sell well and become popular, you can bet the John Redman and the Horizon team along with probably others will produce specialized units for our needs. But that right now is an ''if'' not a definite.

The lightest P-7 I ever had back in the day was 7 3/4 pounds. I seem to remember it flying very well, but of course today we have grown used to really what back then would have been considered ridiculous power. I don't remember any P-7's hovering, but I can hover and then climb out easily with my current electric powered pattern model. I can't wait to see how good a P-7 with powerful, digital servos will fly!
VERY well said Tony! I gotta believe even "low end" digital will be better than a single 36oz vintage 70's servo on the elevator and or ailerons!

Dave

TonyF 09-27-2010 04:57 PM

Or that same servo on the rudder! I for a season flew World Engines S-10's. I don't think there was every a worse servo built. Incredibly bad gear train, maybe 25 in/oz if it had one. Model still flew what I thought was pretty good! Even the World S-12's, which were at the time very precise servos, only put out 32 in/oz.

Gotta get mine done!

rv7driver 09-27-2010 05:06 PM

Who's running a 17" prop on a P-7!!!!!!!!!! LoL! I know there are a few guys that will try a 91 four stroke with a 13" prop. [X(] Pete

Doug Cronkhite 09-27-2010 05:30 PM

Tony.. Any word on why the P7 and not the P8? I liked my 8 MUCH more than the 7, although my favorite of that style was my EU-1A.

MTK 09-27-2010 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: rv7driver

Who's running a 17'' prop on a P-7!!!!!!!!!! LoL! I know there are a few guys that will try a 91 four stroke with a 13'' prop. [X(] Pete
Nobody...17"and 18" props are for today's model.

On the other hand, that would be cool to run a 17x13 on a P7. Get a honking 60 belted down ala Koger and voila. Pretty scale (fighter like scale) to have a prop dia that is 1/4 the wing span. LOL

alb1661 09-27-2010 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Take a look at this picture of my Phoenix 8 also on post #366. Its a 11/7 prop. I have to get the nose up early on takeoff or else I have grass stains on the tip of the prop.The instructions on this new plane state about 4 and 3/4 inches on the front strut.You also have to cut a recess in the front of the wing for the retract to fold into. How can you even suggest a 17 or 18 inch prop ???????????

Steve

TonyF 09-27-2010 06:32 PM

Doug,

Why not a whole ton of other models? Everybody from that era has their favorite. But the P-7 was very popular and is a great model. I'm just glad Hangar 9 came out with it. And it looks like it's going to be popular again.

John Redman 09-27-2010 06:40 PM

You are right MattK, why would you put 5mm struts on a 7-3/4 pound bird with 5 inch long struts? But what would you use if the model were 12-1/2 pounds with 6-3/4 inch long struts?

Check the weight rating for the landing gear. That is my point!

As TonyF stated: IF we sell enough of these then it might warrant a special set for the purpose, but right now guys, we have to see some numebrs and I will say that answer is a long way away.

Believe me, we all hope it sells as great as you 25 guys on this thread think it will. That will be great for all of us, trust me.

Use the retracts you want to use. Use what you feel works best for you. I am fine with all of it. For me in my P7, the electrics are where it is at ata cool 7-3/4 pounds RTF. As for the roll rate issue with the heavier weight gear out at the wing tips,[:@] I'll just have to deal with it.;)

crankpin 09-27-2010 07:03 PM

We have to see how the electric's hold up after many take off's and landing on grass runway's.

Vince

Doug Cronkhite 09-27-2010 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: TonyF

Doug,

Why not a whole ton of other models? Everybody from that era has their favorite. But the P-7 was very popular and is a great model. I'm just glad Hangar 9 came out with it. And it looks like it's going to be popular again.
Agreed. Was just a puzzlement for me is all.. no big deal.

I kinda wish I could find another Summit III as well..

MTK 09-27-2010 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

You are right MattK, why would you put 5mm struts on a 7-3/4 pound bird with 5 inch long struts? But what would you use if the model were 12-1/2 pounds with 6-3/4 inch long struts?

Check the weight rating for the landing gear. That is my point!

As TonyF stated: IF we sell enough of these then it might warrant a special set for the purpose, but right now guys, we have to see some numebrs and I will say that answer is a long way away.

Believe me, we all hope it sells as great as you 25 guys on this thread think it will. That will be great for all of us, trust me.

Use the retracts you want to use. Use what you feel works best for you. I am fine with all of it. For me in my P7, the electrics are where it is at ata cool 7-3/4 pounds RTF. As for the roll rate issue with the heavier weight gear out at the wing tips,[:@] I'll just have to deal with it.;)
1/4" x 1/8" carbon tubing

lopflyers 09-27-2010 09:05 PM

[img]C:\Users\Arnaldo\Pictures\Airplanes\Dons[/img]
Here he is, this is the original Phoenix 7 & Don Lowes. This picture was taken at his home club RCACF near Orlando, FL.

lopflyers 09-27-2010 09:06 PM

Oh no, having problems posting the picture.[:o]

JoeMamma 09-27-2010 09:35 PM

Retracts?

I really don't know why anybody would want to continue to use mechanical retract systems any more. If you compare mechanical, pneumatic and electric, electric is definitely where it's at ! I fly with a lot of older flyers like myself, and one thing we always agree on is mechanical retracts aren't worth the bother.

I've been using both the pneumatic air systems and mechanicals for about 30-40+ years. Can't remember when I installed my first air systems, but the pneumatics have been performing almost flawless.

But the mechanicals (I've probably used every brand out there) are definitely a very high maintenance item and also a big pain in the a** !!! I can attempt to achieve a perfect installation 'til I'm blue in the face, and they will usually work great for a while. But once any of the bends in the wire linkage start to stretch or contract, even slightly, the first thing noticed is the plastic sliding block used to lock the retract in an up or down position will eventually slip out of position. It doesn't take very much wire linkage bending, and this usually results (usually unannounced) in one of the retracts collapsing when landing. Arrggrrr !

I've also noticed something about installing and setting up mechanical retracts over the years. The designed dimension for the wire linkage location between the servo arm and the retract is usually NEVER initially designed in a straight line between these two pieces. This usually always requires bending the wire linkage using multiple compound bends.

As for the using EFlite's in the Phoenix ? As I believe John R. stated, these are not a custom fit for the Phoenix. They may also be a little heavy for the Phoenix. But for fun flying, they should work out just fine. These particular units are designed for planes up to about 15 pounds and use a heavy-duty 5mm (0.197") strut that can be cut to about a lonnnngg 7 inches if needed.

I have two sets of EFlite electrics and have just ordered my third set. They are not perfect, and I needed to make some engineering and design improvements, but they are simplicity in action.

Face it fellahs, electrics are here to stay.

Over to you.............................

Joe M.

RCDENT 09-27-2010 10:10 PM

Like a lot of you, I used pneumatic, mechanical, and elec retracts back in the day. I used Kraft electrics most of the time, and while they were bigger and heavier, they were very reliable and simple to operate UNTIL the advent of tuned pipes. It seems the pipe pushed the vibration frequency into the range where the motor and solder connections, etc. couldn't handle it any more. The nose gear would predictably quit after about 20-30 flights. I used to carry an extra unit in my flight box, all ready with strut, wheel, etc. to do a quick swap-out with. Finally got tired and retro-fitted a Southern (Dave Brown) nose gear in my P7 and left the Kraft mains in. That combo worked great until I finally dumb thumbed the plane into the ground. The Kraft nose unit mounted in a foam tape - lined box on the back side of the firewall. Yes, I balanced the prop, spinner, etc. Hopefully, the E-Flite's won't be subject to the same problem, being newer technology and belly-mounted instead of directly on the firewall. Time will tell.

The Spring Airs worked well, except that you have to transport the plane with the gear down, which is a pain. And then there's the fun of pumping up the plane at the flying field. Finishing up another project I have to get off the bench before starting my new P7. Really anxious to get going on it!

speed-panzer 09-28-2010 12:43 AM

Nice discussion.... I am using pneumatically and mechanically operated retracts as well, but so far was unable to make my mind up what would be the better solution.

@ MTK: A word for carbon struts:

Do you use carbon tubes as struts in retractable landing gear of a pattern plane - seriously? I would expect those to be way too brittle, and would not know how to clamp the tube into the retract mechanism, or fit an axle to it.
How do you know how much you can tighten the bolts before it cracks?

Airplanes400 09-28-2010 10:50 AM

Hmmm ... With the exception of a thinner fuselage, this new? Phoenix looks remarkably similar ... I mean IDENTICAL to the Great Planes Patriot that was discontinued years ago.

rcpattern 09-28-2010 12:10 PM

Other than using the same colors, the Phoenix does not resemble a Patriot. I had a Patriot and have seen many Phoenix's and they both are very sleek looking planes, but certainly not identical. The Phoenix pre-dates the Patriot by some 15-20 years as the Patriot was originally a kit 15 years ago or so.

Arch

bem 09-28-2010 12:30 PM

Hi,

I used mechanical retracts - Carl Goldberg - through the 1970th and never had a failure and I flew _alot_ back then, and almost all the time on grass field (old military field, rather bumpy).
I admit I installed everything very careful and made sure the linkage was the best I could achive. People with pneumatic retracts seemed to have little more trouble and sometimes "belly landings" because some failure inthe pneumatic system (Rhom Air was the dominating retract system then where I flew). I really like that E-flite has released electric retracts - I'm sure it is the way to go for easy installation and hopfully reliable usage (even on grass fields).

/Bo

stuntflyr 09-28-2010 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

If it has a prop, it is worthless.
As for Airplanes400's signature;
I always thought that jets were for kids!
Chris...

Tim Redelman 09-28-2010 01:37 PM

I THINK AIRPLANES 400 NEEDS NEW GLASSES!! LOL!!

As for props rotors or turbines I like em all!:D

Tim

JoeMamma 09-28-2010 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Tim Redelman

As for props rotors or turbines I like em all!:D

Tim

You forgot to mention "Warp Drive" !:D:D:D

Joe M.

Airplanes400 09-28-2010 02:42 PM

Time to change my signature, huh?

How's this one?

MMcConville 09-28-2010 03:12 PM

??? I think you are confusing the Phoenix 7 with something else.......

JoeMamma 09-28-2010 03:36 PM

[/quote]
1/4'' x 1/8'' carbon tubing
[/quote]

MattK,

Carbon tubing to replace the wire struts ? Interesting. Very light indeed.

As someone else had asked, how would you tighten down the set screws without colapsing the tubes ?

Maybe solid carbon rod instead of tubing ?

Have you got carbon tubes to work ?

Joe M

MTK 09-28-2010 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: speed-panzer

Nice discussion.... I am using pneumatically and mechanically operated retracts as well, but so far was unable to make my mind up what would be the better solution.

@ MTK: A word for carbon struts:

Do you use carbon tubes as struts in retractable landing gear of a pattern plane - seriously? I would expect those to be way too brittle, and would not know how to clamp the tube into the retract mechanism, or fit an axle to it.
How do you know how much you can tighten the bolts before it cracks?
Regular steel struts are cut off leaving about 1/2 stub. Carbon tubes epoxied onto that. The rest is simple and anyone capable of tackling a P7 build can figure the rest out

Mike Wiz 09-28-2010 05:13 PM

I know, I know.... It's suppose to be a re-creation of a glow powered classic but I don't wanna fly a glow model. I like my new clean electric power better. With that said, here is my first attempt at sizing an electric power system for it. I think it's needs a little tweeking. I'm only getting a little over 4.5 minutes of full throttle per charge. Maybe go with a little larger prop, a little slower motor next run through the calcs. Anyone else contemplating an electric powered P7?

<![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel><m:mathpr><m:mathfont m:val="Cambria Math"></m:mathfont><m:brkbin m:val="before"></m:brkbin><m:brkbinsub m:val=""></m:brkbinsub><m:smallfrac m:val="off"></m:smallfrac><m:dispdef></m:dispdef><m:lmargin m:val="0"></m:lmargin><m:rmargin m:val="0"></m:rmargin><m:defjc m:val="centerGroup"></m:defjc><m:wrapindent m:val="1440"></m:wrapindent><m:intlim m:val="subSup"></m:intlim><m:narylim m:val="undOvr"></m:narylim></m:mathpr></w:worddocument></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" defunhidewhenused="true" defsemihidden="true" defqformat="false" defpriority="99" latentstylecount="267"><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="0" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Normal"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="heading 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 7"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 8"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="9" qformat="true" name="heading 9"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 7"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 8"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" name="toc 9"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="35" qformat="true" name="caption"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="10" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Title"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="1" name="Default Paragraph Font"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="11" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Subtitle"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="22" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Strong"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="20" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Emphasis"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="59" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Table Grid"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Placeholder Text"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="1" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="No Spacing"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Revision"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="34" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="List Paragraph"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="29" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Quote"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="30" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Intense Quote"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="60" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Shading Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="61" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light List Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="62" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Light Grid Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="63" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="64" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="65" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="66" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="67" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="68" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="69" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="70" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Dark List Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="71" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="72" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful List Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="73" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="19" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Subtle Emphasis"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="21" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Intense Emphasis"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="31" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Subtle Reference"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="32" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Intense Reference"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="33" semihidden="false" unhidewhenused="false" qformat="true" name="Book Title"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="37" name="Bibliography"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception locked="false" priority="39" qformat="true" name="TOC Heading"></w:lsdexception></w:latentstyles></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 10]><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-qformat:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><![endif]><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 18pt;" times="" new="" roman="" serif="">MotOpinion &ndash; Phoenix 7</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">800ft above Sea Level, 29.92inHg, 56&deg;F</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Motor:</span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""> <b style="">Hacker B50 8S[/b]; 4613rpm/V; 3.5A no-load; 0.0056 Ohms.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Battery:</span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""> Zippy Flight Max 4000 (20C) (20C); 6 cells; 4000mAh @ 3.7V; 0.008 Ohms/cell.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Speed Control:</span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""> Castle Creations Phoenix 80; 0.001 Ohms; High rate.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Drive System</span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">:</span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""> <b style="">APC 11x7[/b]; 11x7 (Pconst=1.11; Tconst=0.95) <b style="">geared 6.7:1[/b] (Eff=95%).</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Airframe:</span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""> <b style="">Phoenix 7; 690sq.in; 120.4oz RTF[/b]; 25.1oz/sq.ft; Cd=0.047; Cl=0.47; Clopt=0.67; Clmax=1.24.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Stats:</span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""> 147 W/lb in; 129 W/lb out; 23mph stall; 32mph opt @ 47% (40:58, 90&deg;F); 38mph level @ 53% (34:30, 94&deg;F); 1890ft/min @ 42.8&deg;; -253ft/min @ -5.2&deg;.</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Possible Power System Problems:</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">The full-throttle motor current at the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed (57.5A) is lower than the motor's maximum efficiency current (110.1A). A higher current level would improve system efficiency.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Current can be increased by using more cells, a larger diameter or higher pitched propeller, a lower gear ratio, or some combination of these methods. <i style="">(Yeah, but I want it to fly like a P7)[/i]</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Power System Notes:</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">The voltage (19.4V) exceeds 12V. Be sure the speed control is rated for at least the number of cells specified above.</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Possible Aerodynamic Problems:</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">The static pitch speed (87mph) is much greater than 3 times the stall speed (23mph), which might make take-off or hand launching very difficult, and is inefficient in flight unless very high speeds are intended.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Pitch speed can be decreased by using a lower pitched and/or larger diameter propeller, a higher gear ratio, a lower cell count, or some combination of these methods. <i style="">(I believe an APC 11x7 at 13000 rpm +/- is about right.)[/i]</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Aerodynamic Notes:</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">Due to some of the potential problems listed above, this model may require an experienced pilot. <i style="">(Well duh. [/i]</span><i style=""><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Wingdings;"><span style="">J</span></span>[/i]<i style=""><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">)</span>[/i]</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">The static thrust (109oz) to weight (120.4oz) ratio is 0.91:1, which will result in very short take-off runs, no difficulty taking off from grass surfaces (assuming sufficiently large wheels), and steep climb-outs.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">At the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed, the excess-thrust (80.9oz) to weight (120.4oz) ratio is 0.67:1, which will give steep climbs and excellent acceleration. This model should be able to do consecutive loops, and has sufficient in-flight thrust for almost any aerobatic maneuver.</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">General Notes:</span></p><p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif=""></span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">This analysis is based on calculations that take motor heating effects into account.</span></p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 10pt; text-indent: -10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Symbol;"><span style="">&middot;<span style="" times="" new="" roman=""> </span></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt;" arial="" sans-serif="">These calculations are based on mathematical models that may not account for all limitations of the components used. Always consult the power system component manufacturers to ensure that no limits (current, rpm, etc.) are being exceeded.</span></p>

rcguy! 09-28-2010 05:43 PM

I didn't see a tuned pipe in your list......
If it can't use a tuned pipe.... wrong power plant! What next? Fixed tail dragger landing gear?

Maybe a Seniorita for your electric motor...but never a P7.

BTW... Dave Brown retracts get my vote........

Dave "old school" Rigotti

bem 09-28-2010 06:29 PM

Mike Wiz,
Any picture of your electric P7?

/Bo</p>

Mike Wiz 09-28-2010 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

If it can't use a tuned pipe.... wrong power plant! What next? Fixed tail dragger landing gear?

Dave "old school" Rigotti
Senroita....Really... Well to each his own.... I guess.

Mike Wiz 09-28-2010 06:32 PM

No pictures. I haven't got one....yet. I'm still working out the power system. I wanna make sure it will all work before I buy. I have absolutely zero interest in owning another glow model. I certainly can appreciate other people's glow models, though.

dhal22 09-28-2010 08:41 PM

Dave, i wouldn't even put electric power on a senorita.

rcguy! 09-28-2010 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: dhal22

Dave, i wouldn't even put electric power on a senorita.
Don't get me started!

We have a very nice combo of a classic pattern plane, great engine and pipe combo offered too not to mention retracts to boot!

Whats next... "Where's that pound can of Pirelli?"

Dave

JoeMamma 09-28-2010 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

No pictures. I haven't got one....yet. I'm still working out the power system. I wanna make sure it will all work before I buy. I have absolutely zero interest in owning another glow model. I certainly can appreciate other people's glow models, though.
I'm going with glow for sure, but electric power ? Why not ? As they say.........."To each their own".

The one big problem I can see with going electric on the Phoenix is there may be no easy way to get to your lipo. Some sort of a hatch will need to be designed and fabricated.[sm=thumbs_down.gif] It sure would be a pain to have to remove the wing each time you need to change your lipo.

The one big gain would be the streamlining effect. That cowl would remain real pretty with no butchering.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Just my two cents.

Joe M.

JoeMamma 09-28-2010 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Dave ''old school'' Rigotti
Hey Dave,

Old school ? Sounds like you should also drag out that old Orbit radio and a set of 1975 Kraft linear servos.:D:D:D These new-fangled radios must also be a bit of a challenge for you.[X(]

Jus' kiddin'......................

Joe M.

burtona 09-28-2010 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the way I solved battery access on my Phoenix 5. I built an open ended box of lite ply inside fuselage and slid battery into it through hole where nose wheel would have been and secured the open end with a velcro strap. I built the P-5 as a tail dragger.

rcguy! 09-29-2010 04:53 AM

I just blew breakfast all over my keyboard.....

I do have a working World Engines 5 channel radio on "blue and white".....

Dave "not stupid either" Rigotti

dhal22 09-29-2010 05:27 AM

an electric tail dragger classic pattern plane? [:'(] at least i'm not eating breakfast.

crankpin 09-29-2010 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe the control-line guy's will comment here. Make it UC. Below is my power, plus the OS 61 SF's.

Crank, from the Phoenix Farm.